Discussion » Questions » Communication » What is the future of texting?

What is the future of texting?

I find texting very useful but only use it if I have a specific reason (like contacting my son who works night shift and may be sleeping). If I want to have a conversation, I talk. But it's very popular with young folk. Will it continue to be so? 

Posted - January 14, 2017

Responses

• Yes.   It isn't going anywhere and honestly it's often more useful than actual voice calling.   They offer different advantages and will always coexist after this point.
      January 14, 2017 2:26 PM MST

• I agree. Even so, you're talking to a man who decided to learn Morse Code. Great job for a while but in 1959 we stopped using Morse in Australia. Would you believe I still miss it? It was a different way to earn a living. 
      January 14, 2017 2:39 PM MST

• I use texring/Skype, especially when I'm at work and can't talk on the phone. Otherwise, I'd rather talk on the phone! I enjoy hearing the person on the other end, more personable for me!
      January 14, 2017 2:34 PM MST

• Agree. It's useful. I've tried Skype but don't have much use for it. 
      January 14, 2017 2:39 PM MST

It probably will be good well into the future until mass mental telepathy is perfected (if ever)  and substituted.  Even after MT.
    (Just speculating) This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at January 14, 2017 4:50 PM MST
      January 14, 2017 2:49 PM MST

It's too bad that everyone is into texting and don't have any social skills anymore.
      January 14, 2017 2:59 PM MST

• I text to the point I'd like to take a vacation from my phone and the computer. Just might do that sometime this spring.
      January 14, 2017 3:06 PM MST

I don't get the greatest connect for regular voice calls where I live, so texting works great for me.... also, I prefer texting to voice because I actually get time to think through what I want to say and not feel pressured - if I even want to say anything. I don't see it going anywhere any time soon though.
      January 15, 2017 3:46 PM MST

i dont text, i just call people or email them
      January 15, 2017 9:24 PM MST