Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Why do dragons eat gold?

Why do dragons eat gold?

My friend Chris Dews (known on ask.com as Waldorff and John o Gaunt) wrote a novel called The Druid and the Bracelet in which he revealed that dragons eat gold. Chris's theory is that they need gold in order to grow but I've heard other ideas. What do you think? 

Posted - January 14, 2017

Responses

I doubt Leviathan, a sea dragon/serpent eats gold but may have horded it as humans do.
      January 14, 2017 5:54 PM MST

• He'd have plenty of opportunity to raid Davy Jones's locker. If he had such an appetite there'd be plenty of sunken treasure ships for him to salvage.

If you read thrillers you might enjoy James Lilliefors's "The Leviathan Effect" which has no sea serpents but does have a rather shattering ending.
      January 14, 2017 6:07 PM MST

What makes you think it doesn't raid? Being an animal Leviathan may fixate on shiny objects, hoard and store them. Are you agreeing? I can't tell. This post was edited by O-uknow at January 14, 2017 6:39 PM MST
      January 14, 2017 6:18 PM MST

• I don't really know. They may have cleared out everything wreck from the Babylonian triremes to the Titanic but I've never seen sea serpents among in the Forbes richest list. 
      January 14, 2017 6:36 PM MST

• It's part of their biological function.  Mostly their defense mechanism.  Dragons carbon/oxygen reaction is only partially complete.   They don't expel CO2 like most aerobic organisms.   Their metabolism produces carbon monoxide.  The benefit of that is carbon monoxide is flammable and their bodies use the gold as a catalyst to rapidly oxidize carbon monoxide byproduct. The result being they breath fire. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 14, 2017 9:07 PM MST
      January 14, 2017 5:59 PM MST

• Does that mean they crap silver then??? LOL
      January 14, 2017 6:03 PM MST

• Nah. Probably pyrites.
      January 14, 2017 6:08 PM MST

Would you believe I had the same exact thought. 
      January 14, 2017 7:03 PM MST

• No.  Gold is the catalyst.   Catalysts only speed up the chemical reaction between two other elements or compounds.  They aren't consumed or changed.

Even a dragon's metabolism isn't powerful enough for elemental decay.
      January 14, 2017 8:11 PM MST

• This is the level of erudition I've come to expect from you, Glis. I'm sure that when Element 99 comes aboard he'll support your theory.

It's wonderful to be able to visit a site like this and learn such detail.

Of course, you've destroyed one idea for me. I was hoping to follow a dragon arround with a bucket and broom collecting any nuggets that pass through the system but it's clear from your answer that there wouldn't be much left.  
      January 14, 2017 6:03 PM MST

• Well you're in luck.   The function is primitive and inefficient.  They do expel the gold and that's why they have to constantly replenish.   Grab your pan and start washing that dragon dung.
      January 14, 2017 8:12 PM MST

• I really really loved you answer, although I had to read it four times & now I have a headache. 
      January 14, 2017 6:31 PM MST

• Wonderful! 
      January 14, 2017 8:42 PM MST

• My understanding is they share similar goals as uncle Scrooge.... and trump.... they just like collecting it and sleeping on it
      January 14, 2017 6:07 PM MST

• Miserly old lizards. :( 
      January 14, 2017 6:15 PM MST

• Yep ... can't argue with that!
      January 14, 2017 6:58 PM MST

I think you friend is wrong about this. They do not eat the gold, they sleep in it.

January 14, 2017 6:30 PM MST

Next to water Gold is just about the best heat-conductor we know. Maybe the purpose is to have a heatsink so they dont get overheated by their internal fire This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at January 14, 2017 6:35 PM MST
      January 14, 2017 6:34 PM MST

• Well, seeing is believing, Jakob. I guess that answers the question. 
    Ah, I don't suppose it was photoshopped? 
      January 14, 2017 7:34 PM MST

I doubt it is photoshopped. but it IS a movie scene, and movies do not necessarily depict a reality.

Then again, do dragons even exist ;-))
      January 14, 2017 7:58 PM MST

• Gimme a break, Jake.  If somebody answers a question like this one I have to assume they know it's a joke and are kidding. I was just playing along. >;-)
      January 14, 2017 8:06 PM MST

• I once dated a very good looking dragon, she ate my gold & every other valuable thing I owned.
      January 14, 2017 6:34 PM MST

• Didn't your mother warn you about rusting strange dragons? 
      January 14, 2017 7:34 PM MST

• No regrettably, had to learn these lessons the hard way.
      January 14, 2017 8:09 PM MST