Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A very good Answermug friend brought up something scary. As of January 20 Trump will have the power to call out federal troops. Will he?

A very good Answermug friend brought up something scary. As of January 20 Trump will have the power to call out federal troops. Will he?

He can't take dissent so he will want to crush it. Federal troops and tanks could work. It worked in Tianamen Square. But here's the thing. Will  Federal Troops ordered to crush American citizens do so or will they defy Trump?  Would they be imprisoned for ignoring his orders?

Posted - January 15, 2017

Responses

Hi Rosie:

Every president has that power, but none just does it for no reason. The joint chiefs are there exactly for that reason. We should give Trump the benefit of the doubt unless/until he proves otherwise.
      January 15, 2017 9:11 AM MST

Thank you for your reply StuB. Did I wish you Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Monday? :)
      January 16, 2017 2:38 AM MST

I cannot cite the law here, but I'd be willing to bet that the U.S. military would consider it an unlawful order to roll out tanks against the citizenry and would not carry out such an order.  Mere dissention towards a president would not be sufficient for that order to be legal.
      January 15, 2017 10:11 AM MST

Time will tell what he gets away with Spunky. He has no brakes and complete power and I just wonder who is brave enough to challenge him and survive? Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Martin Luther King Jr Day Monday! :)
      January 16, 2017 2:39 AM MST

Happy MLK Day to you, Rosie.  Yes, he may have great power, but he is also constrained by the Judicial and legislative branches.  He is not a dictator. 
      January 16, 2017 9:17 AM MST

He can't do that on his own. But if the other people in charge are as big a nut as he is, then we might have a problem.
      January 15, 2017 10:19 AM MST

Donald J. Trump has selected only nuts as his appointees. None dare cross him or he'll get rid of them. They all know that .  We will find out soon enough. Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom and Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day Monday! :)
      January 16, 2017 2:41 AM MST

If Martial Law were ordered legally, then the federal government is in control and believe me you better obey it. 
      January 15, 2017 1:24 PM MST

Really? When isn't the federal government in control? However with martial law we are talking federal troops with weapons and tanks AND the authority to take you out legally aren't we? How fun a time that will be. Tianamen Square in America. That is progress TomT. Crush opposition with tanks and guns. What could it hurt? Thank you for your reply.
      January 16, 2017 2:43 AM MST

not sure what hes planning on doing
      January 15, 2017 3:47 PM MST

Well it isn't gonna be party time for anti-Trump folks pearl. Not by a longshot. Thank you for your reply and Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day Monday! :)
      January 16, 2017 2:44 AM MST

• Yes he will. And I can't wait.
      January 15, 2017 9:37 PM MST

Because? Thank you for your reply Lago and Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day Monday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 16, 2017 2:44 AM MST
      January 16, 2017 2:36 AM MST

• I seriously doubt that will happen. 
      January 15, 2017 9:39 PM MST

I seriously hope you are right Karen. Soon all the lights will be out and we will be forced to live in the dark. Thank you for your reply and Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Monday! :)
      January 16, 2017 2:15 AM MST

As of this writing the president of the United States cannot legally use US Federal Troops on US soil unless a foreign country has invaded. Governors of each state could activate the National Guard in their states provided the right, legal, circumstances existed. Members of the US Military Joint Chiefs of Staff have declared openly they will not obey nor enforce illegal orders from the US President under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Unlike other countries the President of the United States cannot unilaterally act with military forces. Till someone figures a way to eliminate the safeties already in place no US president can act out his or her dictatorial ambitions
      January 16, 2017 4:08 AM MST