Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is anyone in politics innocent?

Is anyone in politics innocent?

Posted - January 15, 2017

Responses

• Only Vermin Supreme
      January 15, 2017 1:11 PM MST

And just why wasn't this candidate on the ballot in MY State?

Looks to be a MUCH better choice than anyone on that ballot! (Really)
      January 15, 2017 4:25 PM MST

• IDK,   he one hell of a platform.

He's been running since '92 This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 15, 2017 4:47 PM MST
      January 15, 2017 4:46 PM MST

• Nope
      January 15, 2017 1:14 PM MST

Yes
      January 15, 2017 1:35 PM MST

Innocent of what though?

I think most politicians in Western democracies are basically honest and decent even if you don't share their views, but inevitably some succumb to the power and glory and become self-serving even if they entered the career full of genuine desires to do good.

The problem is that the real bad apples harm the reputation of all, and of the political system itself. The test of the latter's integrity is its strength in dealing with the wrongdoers when eventually found out. I think the greater harm to the government and governmental processes as a whole is not by the incident itself but by the inevitably inept outrage that noisily blames everything and everyone instead of objectively blaming the individuals.
      January 15, 2017 1:49 PM MST

• But if the individuals are covered for, excused, protected and their behaviour copied by others both in government, public institutions and the media, that doesn't really leave people much in the way of choices, does it?  :)

The problem as I see it is a blatant refusal of powerful and influential people to accept responsibility, or even that the concept exists.  That's neither honest nor helpful and encourages exactly the wrong type to get involved in government and it's attendant satellites and anyone with any integrity to avoid that stuff like the plague.

I would agree with you that there are a lot of politicians (though I couldn't risk a percentage guess) who work at their jobs as they should.  The problem, at least in the UK, is that they are of minor importance within their party and within any government should their party form one.  Those places all too often go to those who are ideologically driven and who are prepared to lie, cheat and steal to attain what they want (whatever that may be).

People are still - STILL - being asked to believe that trickledown or a variant of it will work for them.  Do any economic or historical research and that will be shown to be laughable bullshit, yet it's the same story some politicians have been pushing since the 19th century (what is now called 'trickledown' was once known as the 'horse and sparrow theory' 130 plus years ago).  

One really has to wonder how phenomenally stupid either we are or they think we are.  I don't think the collective 'we' are that stupid - the stupidity is displayed in the arrogant assumption seen in many high political, economic and media circles.  In my view this kind of nonsense is at the root of the loss of confidence in political systems across the world and can fairly easily be linked with the rise of cockroaches like Trump - and indeed, the frequency of questions like this.  :)
      January 15, 2017 2:31 PM MST

• The only innocents are the more gullible voters who actually believe what politicians tell them. 
      January 15, 2017 1:58 PM MST

• well depends on what you mean by innocent.. innocent as in not guilty of something bad? Yea lots.. we have plenty here in the UK we tend not to have politicians with scandal...  
      January 15, 2017 2:02 PM MST

• Eh...I think politicians have agendas that benefit themselves...whether they get that benefit honestly, who really knows.
      January 15, 2017 2:08 PM MST

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

"Delivered unto me", get it? Satan is the god of Earthly authority.
      January 15, 2017 3:13 PM MST

theres some that might be
      January 15, 2017 3:20 PM MST

Certainly, until found guilty by a jury of his or her peers. (Unless they waived that Right to a jury trial and went with a bench trial; and then it's up to the presiding judge)
      January 15, 2017 4:23 PM MST

IMO..A few and far between.

“There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress.”― Mark Twain
      January 15, 2017 4:26 PM MST