Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » At what point does a good habit cross over to the dark side and become a bad habit?

At what point does a good habit cross over to the dark side and become a bad habit?

Posted - January 15, 2017

Responses

when its bad for you probably
      January 15, 2017 8:39 PM MST

• When it takes over your life. Regardless of danger to you or others. 
      January 15, 2017 8:48 PM MST

• Easy... when its no longer required
      January 15, 2017 9:09 PM MST

When it becomes an obsession.
      January 16, 2017 9:11 AM MST

• In a nutshell! I wonder where the boundary lies between habit and OCD? 
      January 17, 2017 1:04 PM MST

Hey, Didge...

I suspect the difference lies in the issue of anxiety.  

I floss my teeth by quadrant in a certain progression to make sure I get all of them, but preferably only once per episode.---useful habit.

Flossing again because I was worried that I didn't do a good job the first time would lean toward obsession.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions).Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts, but this only provides temporary relief. Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety. A person's level of OCD can be anywhere from mild to severe...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/obsessive-compulsive-disorder

January 17, 2017 1:13 PM MST

• Good distinction, Tom. 
      January 17, 2017 1:34 PM MST

I think a habit is something you can stop doing, but OCD is not a conscious thing, so it would be harder to stop.
      January 18, 2017 7:18 AM MST