Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » There are some flaws on this site that bug me and should be fixed.

There are some flaws on this site that bug me and should be fixed.

It annoys me  big time how pictures and videos don't show on your profile or in the live feed if you've answered or asked a question with a pic or a video in it- its just a blank space. it would be cool to see pictures and videos when you're looking thru someones profile or looking at the live feed, AND even recently asked questions. no more blank spaces where pictures should be. Thanks.

(i look on my profile and it shows that i answered a discussion but it shows a blank space where the picture or video should be).. 

Posted - January 15, 2017

Responses

You can't always fix a question once posted either. So many gripes, yet we love and we live and let live, do we not? This post was edited by O-uknow at January 23, 2017 9:26 PM MST
      January 15, 2017 10:14 PM MST

The one you mentioned is on our fix list.
      January 15, 2017 11:02 PM MST

You see the avatars of those making a statement,
    and those asking a question, but if you mouse over the avatar, 
    it doesn't say who it is.
    ...since many use the mug avatar, we can't tell who is who.
    Would that be possible to have?
    Thanks JA
      January 22, 2017 6:25 PM MST

It's on the list of things to do.
      January 23, 2017 8:20 PM MST

Pick an avatar got d**n ;)
      January 23, 2017 9:28 PM MST

Just a head's up to those who don't know the background of that- the HTML codes including photos were stripped from the feeds intentionally because they made the feeds junky. The feeds are too hard to scan if the content isn't uniform, so that was corrected when the site was in beta testing. Photos also add to the page load times and the amount of photos involved can put too much strain on browsers- some become sluggish and others crash. 

If there's a serious following for this, we can consider putting it back, but I think most will be disappointed with how cluttered and unreliable the feeds become. 
      January 15, 2017 11:08 PM MST

• how about if its just on our profiles rather than other feeds, could that possibly work? (it would make our profiles look a bit better rather than having a blank space. it doesn't matter about the live feed or the recently asked feed). thanks for your helpful answer.
      January 15, 2017 11:28 PM MST

Eh, they're all feeds and are strung together with the same code, so I'm pretty sure we'd have to spend some serious development time breaking them all up, but, even then, it would be the same issue. They couldn't be scanned and they'd crash devices. Not on a large scale, like the home page would, but still an issue for some. I would think that, if this is something we'd choose to run with later, it would have to involve reducing the images to uniform thumbnails and implementing it across all feeds. ... But that also means that it would undo all the other HTML stripping, which would be a bear.  :s From a development standpoint, I'm not sure it's feasible. If this question gets enough interest, I'll mention it to the dev once we knock the actual glitches out of the way and see if he has a solution that's workable.
      January 15, 2017 11:41 PM MST

• even small thumbnails on our profiles would be good too. just to show that the question has been answered with a picture. if people want to see a full view of it they can just click on the question. it would be cool if you could forward this idea to the developers. maybe they could at least add small thumbnails on our profiles. thanks :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 16, 2017 2:25 PM MST
      January 16, 2017 2:24 PM MST

January 16, 2017 8:54 AM MST