Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What should the plaque by the Statue of Liberty say?

What should the plaque by the Statue of Liberty say?

The current poem is no longer accurate, is it?

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Posted - January 16, 2017

Responses

Hopefully they one day soon will become accurate. 
      January 16, 2017 3:50 AM MST

Hopefully it won't NEED to be accurate.
      January 16, 2017 8:13 AM MST

• I don't know if you'll be able to view this, but perhaps a return to a long-demolished elephant might be appropriate?

January 16, 2017 3:55 AM MST

• How about brush your teeth more? ... Best way to remove plaque!
      January 16, 2017 6:04 AM MST

A few years ago, I was talking to a guy from Armenia. He said he brought his family to the US so that his kids could get a better education. 
      January 16, 2017 7:21 AM MST

Did they?
      January 16, 2017 8:15 AM MST

Back when that plaque was installed, the U.S. had an immigration policy that was followed to the letter.  Back then, there were few who tried to enter the U.S. illegally.  There were quotas for each country and once those quotas were filled, that was it.  This was done so that immigrants could assimilate, get their bearings and begin the path toward citizenship.  To allow anyone and everyone to come here would overwhelm our country.  We would not be able to sustain them or ourselves.  If you think homelessness, poverty and hunger are a problem now, it would be nothing compared to what could be. 

There is no need to replace the poem.  Immigrants no longer come through Ellis Island.  It stands as a monument to a bygone era. 
      January 16, 2017 8:42 AM MST

not sure what it should say
      January 16, 2017 9:51 AM MST