Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Trump did not EARN being prez. He CHEATED his way in. John Lewis has EARNED respect. Trump is no match for Lewis. Is he?

Trump did not EARN being prez. He CHEATED his way in. John Lewis has EARNED respect. Trump is no match for Lewis. Is he?

Posted - January 16, 2017

Responses

Rosie, How did Trump cheat his way to President? if it's true why didn't Obama's administration stop it or anyone else?
      January 16, 2017 11:21 AM MST

Read tom jackson's reply.
      January 17, 2017 4:55 AM MST

And just how did Trump "cheat his way"? Please, do tell . . . 
      January 16, 2017 11:28 AM MST

This article (from Wikipedia) is written like a personal reflection or opinion essay that states a Wikipedia editor's personal feelings about a topic:..

Cheating is the getting of a reward for ability or finding an easy way out of an unpleasant situation by dishonest means. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain unfair advantage in a competitive situation. This broad definition will necessarily include acts of bribery, cronyism, nepotism, sleaze and any situation where individuals are given preference using inappropriate criteria.[1] The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating conduct a potentially subjective process. Cheating can refer specifically to marital infidelity. Someone who is known for cheating is referred to as a cheat in British English, and a cheater in American English. A person described as a "cheat" doesn't necessarily cheat all the time, but rather, relies on unfair tactics to the point of acquiring a reputation for it..

I am not sure how one earns a presidency of anything, people like JFK tended to come up by way of government service, and sometimes being a major war hero (Eisenhower) can help..

As for cheating, Trump told people what they wanted to hear, whether or not he ever intended to actually do anything about those issues or whether it was even reasonable---or perhaps even dangerous---to expect any changes on those fronts.

Approximately half the people voted for him and half the people didn't.

Each group has a 50% chance of having been right.

We'll see.

January 16, 2017 12:15 PM MST

Wow!  You  totally outdid yourself  m'dear on this response to my question. And that's not easy since all your responses are "consequential", thoughtful and informative. I appreciate the time, thought and effort that went into responding so magnificently. You can see the other responses to my question. I much prefer yours. Gee. I wonder why? I also asked a question about "consequent ignorance" tom and I gave "an Answermug friend" credit for that. We know Trump is shamefully and abjectly ignorant about a plethora of things. Among all of those which is most troublesome to you? Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 17, 2017 4:54 AM MST

CS Lewis said it best...(But not recently---Lewis died in 1963)

Lewis contrasted a "man of real sensibilities"  with one who was a "trousered ape."

When certain species of female gorillas become members of a band or troop, the dominant mail mounts them to make that relationship clear...

Trump has modified that and just grabs females by the p*ussy."...

Perhaps we should be be at least grateful that he spared us an image of him acting like a typical African gorilla---at least in this area...

(And an aside, consequent ignorance is contrasted with simple ignorance---lack of knowledge in an area in which I have neither been required to possess, nor have been interested in learning...or example---don't ask me to scan a poem in iambic pentameter.)

January 17, 2017 1:48 PM MST

Fancy talk but all B.S. sounds like Hillary.
      January 18, 2017 11:13 AM MST

I don't see a particularly high level of insight in your comment..

Could you be more specific about what you consider to be B.S.?
      January 18, 2017 1:14 PM MST

Most of it,all one sided,
      January 19, 2017 10:13 AM MST

Well, feel free to enlighten us by posting the other side---otherwise....
      January 21, 2017 9:42 AM MST

Trump did not cheat. Trump won the majority of the country's states voted for him. Based on issues important to them. 
      January 16, 2017 12:27 PM MST

Read tom jackson's reply.
      January 17, 2017 4:55 AM MST

So he 'cheated' by telling people what they wanted to hear. 
    By that standard EVERY politician cheated their way into office.
      January 17, 2017 5:01 AM MST

Thus the importance of the members of a democracy achieving the status of an informed electorate...

Members of a democracy do not always engage in actions that will preserve that democracy...(A concept found both in Aristotle and Alexis de Tocqueville.)

January 17, 2017 1:57 PM MST

Is that the Bible you read from?  The Bible according to TRUMP?  Do not make me laugh.
      January 18, 2017 11:15 AM MST

You make sense, He won ,Hillary lost even though she cheated.
      January 19, 2017 10:15 AM MST

Well when the Devil appears, the saints come marching in.  Go John GO!!!!

Quiz: Are these shows Netflix originals or not?

Congressman John Lewis' life story is heading to the small screen in John Lewis - Get in the Way, a new documentary biography, PBS and Georgia Public Broadcasting announced Tuesday.

© Mark Humphrey/AP The documentary is set to premiere Friday, Feb. 10 - less than a month after his feud with President-elect Donald Trump erupted last week - and will highlight Lewis' rise to power, from his humble beginnings as the son of sharecroppers to cementing his place in U.S. history as a civil rights activist. Lewis' arrest, jail time, and assaults in the '60s eventually helped lead to the Voting Rights Act, and he has been a member of Congress since 1986.
    Recommended for you:John Lewis - Looking for John Lewis?
    store.com/John Lewis | Sponsored

The documentary, produced and directed by Kathleen Dowdey, will span more than 50 years of Lewis' life, and will feature never-before-seen interviews with Lewis, fellow civil rights activists Andrew Young and Juanita Abernathy, and congressional colleagues like Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. Footage for the film, which PBS said will be the first documentary biography about Lewis, was shot over 20 years.

Through the years, we've shared the stories of many of the movement's greatest heroes with Georgia ties, including Martin Luther King Jr. and Andrew Young, Georgia Public Broadcasting President and CEO Teya Ryan said in a statement. We are thrilled to bring a film that so eloquently captures the legacy of John Lewis to a national audience through PBS.

The news of the film comes after the congressman announced on Meet the Press that he would not be attending Trump's inauguration, as he didn't view Trump as a legitimate president due to Russian interference in the election. Trump accused Lewis of being all talk and no action or results, which led to an outpouring of support for Lewis, and even sent his books to the top of Amazon's charts. Late night hosts Stephen Colbert, Trevor Noah, and Seth Meyers have all defended Lewis as well.

The film will air as part of a line-up of Black History Month programming on Friday, Feb. 10 at 10:30 p.m. ET on PBS.

Late-night comics mock Trump over Lewis:
      January 18, 2017 11:18 AM MST

Well......DUH! As far as John Lewis is concerned, many people have an issue that John Lewis hasn't done anything lately on the level as it was during the civil right era.
      January 19, 2017 10:16 AM MST

• No, John Lewis is not respected. Not by those who know his history.  Lewis is a race baiter and hustler who wrapped himself in the honorable fight for civil rights during the 60's. That is being more than fair to John Lewis.
      January 21, 2017 10:16 AM MST

None of that really matters anymore does it? Not my President Chump is President now.
      January 21, 2017 10:18 AM MST