Discussion » Questions » Politics » Did Obama cause Isis?

Did Obama cause Isis?

Posted - January 16, 2017

Responses

• Some claim he allowed them to rise from power by pulling troops out of the Middle East too soon. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. 
      January 16, 2017 9:43 AM MST

Although many people blame him, he actually didn't.  ISIS is just the more recent off shoot of Al-Qaeda.  A weak government in Iraq led to their overtaking it.  I think it was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for Obama.  The majority of American voters wanted us out of Iraq.  One of Obama's promises was that he would follow through & get us out of there.  He did.  Unfortunately, the government in place wasn't stable or strong enough due to too many divisions between factions.  IMO I don't think there ever would have been a good time to remove ourselves.  The biggest mistake we made was to enter that country in the first place.  We were given false intel which led to so many unnecessary and avoidable deaths of soldiers not just from the U.S. but from countries around the world.     
      January 16, 2017 9:53 AM MST

• I would only change one thing that you've written Harry.  :)

"We were given false intel which led to... "  I would change to,

"Governments organised the invention and manipulation of intel in order to provide justification for a legally unjustifiable course of action that had already been decided upon." This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 16, 2017 10:26 AM MST
      January 16, 2017 10:01 AM MST

Haha!  I was trying to be diplomatic for a change.  I still remember screaming "NO" at Bush through the television when he was in front of Congress.
      January 16, 2017 10:30 AM MST

Well, Trump thinks so, along with many others.  He'd probably label this link as "FALSE NEWS" because it doesn't lay the blame on Obama.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/08/trumps-false-obama-isis-link/ This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at January 16, 2017 10:00 AM MST
      January 16, 2017 9:56 AM MST

Thanks for posting that link Beans.  

January 16, 2017 9:58 AM MST

It was in support of yours Harry..maybe it'll influence one naysayer.
      January 16, 2017 10:04 AM MST

Hello f:

Nahh..  A guy named Zarcawi did, and it was long before Obama was elected.

Zarcawi took advantage of the civil strife between Sunni and Shia Muslims in Ira
    q, brought on by Bush's choice for president, Nouri al-Maliki, a Shia who HATED the Sunni's.  Zarcawi planted a few car bombs, and ISIS was born..

That's the nuts and bolts of it.

excon
    This post was edited by excon at January 16, 2017 10:23 AM MST
      January 16, 2017 10:01 AM MST

• Bush did ISIS. 
      January 16, 2017 11:25 AM MST

not that i know of
      January 16, 2017 1:47 PM MST