Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » What makes a celebrity?

What makes a celebrity?

Are they famous for being entertainers or sportspeople? Are they famous for their money or family background? Are they famous for their accomplishments in, say, science or literature? Or, really, are people who seek adulation really worthy of it? What are your thoughts? 

Posted - January 16, 2017

Responses

• now a days its mainly about who has the biggest butt, has the most filler injections, biggest breast implants, and who wears the least amount of clothing- sad but true. look at what society has become.. sources? go to dailymail.co.uk and click TV&Showbiz (people these days aren't famious for amazing discouveries and brilliant talents like they use to be,  Today they are celebs for the reasons i mentioned above.)

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 16, 2017 7:06 PM MST
      January 16, 2017 4:50 PM MST

• Sad, Skunky, but I'm not gonna argue. You're right. 
      January 16, 2017 5:11 PM MST

We do. Ordinary, everyday commoners create celebrities, then we complain about them! :)

It is sad, but Skunky is right. These days, talent of some sort is definitely not required to obtain celebrity status.
      January 16, 2017 7:11 PM MST

• And, as you pointed out, it's our own fault. 
      January 16, 2017 7:36 PM MST

As some wag noted some years ago (I forget who), celebrities are famous for being famous.
      January 16, 2017 9:50 PM MST

• Certainly some of them don't seem to have anything else going for them. Have you ever watched the celebrity edition of a quiz show? Not impressive! 
      January 16, 2017 11:03 PM MST