Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » History » Historically, what happened on your birthday?

Historically, what happened on your birthday?

Not an on THIS day question but on your birthday. What famous event took place? 

Posted - January 16, 2017

Responses

it was Flag day
      January 16, 2017 5:20 PM MST

• Good choice. June is pretty nice in Oz. It's winter but not yet particularly cold. 
    (One of my sons was born on Bastille day, as was a great-grandson.)
      January 16, 2017 5:24 PM MST

• Geez! So many odds and ends that I just put the link down. Long list. Good question as I've never really looked before.

May 22 - Historical Events - On This Day

January 16, 2017 5:56 PM MST

• I see Alexander kicked Darius's butt away back when, and the Assassins tried to off Saladin in his time. You were BORN  fighting man, Rooster. 
      January 16, 2017 5:59 PM MST

• I guess from what I just glanced at! LOL
      January 16, 2017 6:03 PM MST

• That Panzer appears to have some kind of penile malfunction. :( 
      January 16, 2017 6:11 PM MST

D-day and the Six Day War (I was born at Midnight so they could just have easily made my Birthday on June 6th).
      January 16, 2017 6:02 PM MST

• An Australian TV crew were in Israel for an archaeological documentary at the start of the Six Day War and needed no prompting to switch their focus to the war. It was remarkable coverage and I'd love to see it again. One thing I remember clearly is that the Israeli soldiers, surrounded by hostile nations and heavily outnumbered, were so upbeat and cheerful about going into battle. A journalist asked, "Why are you so confident? What do you think is the difference between you and the Arab soldiers?" And one man replied, "The direction we'll be running."

That's how it proved to be and the world watched astonished as Israel showed that Jews could no longer be slaughtered with impunity.

It was inspiring and, I couldn't help thinking at the time, that had it happened in historical times it would have been labelled as much a miracle as the destruction of Sennacherib. In this case the miracle had an eye-patch, and his name was Moshe Dayan. 
      January 16, 2017 6:10 PM MST

Just for you my Aussie friend, on my second birthday. The Australian destroyer HMAS Voyager sank after colliding with aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne, killing 82.

On the very day I was born was the day that the USSR exchanged spy Francis Gary Power to US for Rudolph Abel.

In 1942 the first Gold Record ever awarded was given to Glenn Miller for Chattanooga Choo Choo.

And in 1535 twelve nude anabaptists ran through Amsterdam streets. (Anabaptists are Reformation-era Christians who rejected infant baptism in favor of believer's baptism.) 
      January 16, 2017 6:33 PM MST

• All interesting stuff, Gator. Thanks. I'd heard of the Anabaptists but didn't know who they were. 

The Voyager affair was shameful. Captain Duncan Stevens was killed in the accident so the Navy declared that he had been at fault. They also claimed that he had been drunk which led the media of the time to label him "Drunken Duncan". How could they resist a cheap shot like that? If memory serves, years later his son accused the Navy of vilifying his father and demanded an apology. Again, from memory, I think he got it, though I'm not sure if compensation was involved. 

And, since I know when the accident happened, you're a year younger than my oldest, and a year younger than my second. :) 
      January 16, 2017 6:42 PM MST

• "The New York Yankees won the World Series."
      January 16, 2017 7:05 PM MST

• Now THAT is something special. :) 
      January 16, 2017 7:37 PM MST

• Well ... you asked for history and I can think of no other game that is more history orientated than baseball.

January 16, 2017 8:07 PM MST

i was born that day and i also came out with my sister,
      January 16, 2017 9:43 PM MST

Came out where?
      January 16, 2017 9:44 PM MST

• What could be more historic than that? 
      January 16, 2017 10:04 PM MST

• January 29th - nothing fun ever seemed to have happened, I looked it up.
    But this could only be a good thing. 'Ice cream cone rolling machine patented in Cleveland'. 

Note that in 1258, the Mongols were defeated by Dai Viet at the Battle if Dong Bo Dau.

There you go. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 20, 2017 8:24 PM MST
      January 16, 2017 11:24 PM MST

• That's actually pretty good, Lucia.  It means that since we swung down from the trees YOUR birth was the defining event for January 29. I am honoured that you answered. 
      January 17, 2017 1:24 PM MST

• Passive aggressive. I never will again. 
      January 17, 2017 1:25 PM MST

• I'm not sure what you mean, Lucia. If I offended you, I apologise. That certainly wasn't my intention.
      January 17, 2017 1:35 PM MST

It was twelve days after my mother's birthday.

Did you know that zip code, gender, and birthday are enough to identify you? In a heavily populated zip code the accuracy drops to 90%.
      January 16, 2017 11:38 PM MST

• No, I didn't know that. Scary!

I was born the day after my father's birthday. Hang on, after his 53rd birthday. My sister was born the day after my mother's birthday. Coincidence!
      January 17, 2017 1:26 PM MST

On my birthday in 1983 The Challenger launched with Dr. Sally Ride aboard making her the first woman in space.   This was no the day of my birth, but it did happen on my birthday.
      January 16, 2017 11:48 PM MST

• And a memorable event. Thanks, Thrifty. 
      January 17, 2017 1:27 PM MST