Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » I can't stay subscribed to my questions.

I can't stay subscribed to my questions.

Have you had problems staying subscribed to questions you've asked? I ask the question expect to be subscribed to it and sometimes that's a yes, and sometimes a no. So I go in and click on "Subscribe Topic" at the top of the page only to find, next time I visit that question, that the software has unsubscribed me. 

1. If you answer one of my questions and don't get a response, I apologise. 

2. Is anybody else having this problem? 

Posted - January 16, 2017

Responses

• Haven't messed with that Didge. I seem to be getting everything OK. Reckon you need one of the Mods unless there's something about it in the FAQ's. I had notifications that you were on discussions that I was.
      January 16, 2017 5:47 PM MST

• Yeah, it only seems to be when I ask a question. 

I joined that question diversity group that's looking for 5 questions aday. Been working my way down the list of topics  and was going well till I reached "death and dying" which seems a bit grim or a bit provocative if I tread on any religious toes -- which I'm trying to avoid. 
      January 16, 2017 5:51 PM MST

• Religion seems to be real light here. Not really much around. Politics? Oh man! But it's better in my afternoons and early evenings. I haven't joined a group yet as I can't keep up with the regular notifications!
      January 16, 2017 5:53 PM MST

• I'm not really into groups -- but this one seems worthwhile as it adds to the diversity. 
      January 16, 2017 5:57 PM MST

• Great!
      January 16, 2017 6:33 PM MST

*knocks on wood* Before politics, it was religion. Don't talk about it too loudly or it might start up again. O_o
      January 16, 2017 6:56 PM MST

• The masses need an opiate ... now that I've opened pandoras box I'm out of here!
      January 16, 2017 9:19 PM MST

• We'd better leave Herr Marx to himself 

Actually it was a wonderful quote from a great mind. If you've read the whole thing you'll see that it wasn't a slur but an opinion offered with a great deal of empathy. I liked it. 
      January 17, 2017 1:31 PM MST

• I must admit I haven't read das kapital???? I think it's from that? ... But thanks for the  extra background information ... I'll be honest I've tried to read some of those weighty tomes ... Often it doesn't last long lol ... To paraphrase, the intent is strong, but the mind tends to wander :)
      January 17, 2017 3:40 PM MST

• I haven't read Das Kapital, either. The quote is well known but I'm not sure in which work it originated. 
      January 17, 2017 4:09 PM MST

That's odd. I haven't heard of this happening before. Are you sure it's on the same question? The only thing I can think of is that maybe you're unchecking the box that says "send me notifications" and replying to the discussion... or maybe the box is getting unchecked? It should stay at whatever setting you put it on, but if it's unchecked and you respond, you could be unsubscribing yourself. Just a thought.

If you're mindful of it, give me an example of this- what question it happened on and what actions you took on the page, both when you visited it last and when you arrived and found it unsubscribed. I know it's a tall order, but it's tough for me to troubleshoot without having more info.
      January 16, 2017 6:55 PM MST

• It happened on at least three of the questions I asked this morning. I'm just about to have lunch but afterwards I'll check on them and let you know which ones. And, no, I'm not unchecking the notify box. Thanks for answering. 
      January 16, 2017 6:58 PM MST

The box is unchecked by default for every reply/comment I make, in my case. I got the same issue as Didge. If I forget to subscribe the question after having made my reply/comment i won't notice unless i go back and check up my questions asked.
      January 16, 2017 11:37 PM MST

• I found a work-around. When I logged on this morning I first attended to my notifications then went to My Questions and went through all those questions I asked yesterday. Found lots of comments in there that hadn't been responded to. Kept me busy for half an hour. 

It ain't a perfect solution but at least it doesn't leave people hanging. 
      January 17, 2017 1:33 PM MST

• I just noticed as I was about to sign out that this question was so affected. I've clicked the Subscribe button again but we'll have to see if it holds. (It hasn't been.)
      January 16, 2017 6:59 PM MST

That's how I try do it each time. :-/
      January 16, 2017 11:38 PM MST

• Here's another one that keeps dropping me out: 
    http://answermug.com/forums/topic/19967/historically-what-happened-on-your-birthday

And this one has dropped me out again, even though I made a point of re-subscribing before I ate lunch. 

Don't worry too much. It's going to be one of those elusive problems the techs hate because they're so hard to pin down. I can work with it.
      January 16, 2017 7:42 PM MST

On that one, the box at the bottom is unchecked for you, so it will unsubscribe you if you respond. You'd have to check the box again.

What I suspect happened here, and I could be wrong, is that for a while you didn't have the box checked. Now that you've checked it, going forward, anything you add will be automatically checked. But the previous ones don't have the check and they don't get changed unless you change them manually, so you go in and respond like normal and unintentionally unsubscribe yourself. I think that anything you add from here on out won't have the issue, but the ones you've previously done that don't have the check will keep causing you fits until you go through and check the box on each one the first time you leave a response again. I hope this makes sense.
      January 16, 2017 7:54 PM MST

if you click on questions and then click on my questions you might be able to see your questions
      January 16, 2017 9:42 PM MST

• I can find the questions OK. It's just that when somebody posts an answer I don't always get a notification. So I can't always acknowledge anybody who took the trouble. 
      January 16, 2017 10:06 PM MST

That's the main issue, yes.
      January 16, 2017 11:39 PM MST