Discussion » Questions » Politics » Congressman Lewis lied saying he has attended EVERY inauguration in the 30 yrs. Why lie about something so easily checked?

Congressman Lewis lied saying he has attended EVERY inauguration in the 30 yrs. Why lie about something so easily checked?

In his interview, Lewis, who has been in Congress for 30 years, said next week will be the first time he has not attended a presidential inauguration since he first came to Congress.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/01/13/raul-grijalva-skipping-trump-inauguration/96534402/

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/443896/john-lewis-boycotted-george-w-bush-inauguration

Posted - January 17, 2017

Responses

Lied you say..well he is a politician.  I wish to state very emphatically... that I will always do just what every other Congressman and committee chairman has done and is doing and will do."-Adam Clayton Powell Jr. 

Lying is one of the things they all do. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at January 17, 2017 2:10 PM MST
      January 17, 2017 9:38 AM MST

True lol
      January 17, 2017 9:40 AM MST

Hello my:

Maybe when the cop broke his dome during a civil rights march, is starting to effect his memory..  In any case, I haven't seen you post about the myriad Trump lies that can also be fact checked..

If you wanna measure the two men side by side, I'll take John Lewis EVERY time..

excon This post was edited by excon at January 17, 2017 9:51 AM MST
      January 17, 2017 9:50 AM MST

Deflecting. 

Why lie about something so easy to check? I think some of these politicians who have been there for a lifetime, forget that we have the internet etc now and they cannot say whatever they want.
      January 17, 2017 10:03 AM MST

Hello again, my:

I have NO idea why any politician lies..  That's why I wouldn't make a great politician.

excon
      January 17, 2017 10:06 AM MST

maybe he wasnt lying and he really did attend
      January 17, 2017 2:00 PM MST

Maybe he just forgot. Did anyone harping on this ever consider that?
      January 17, 2017 2:01 PM MST

Well, he is old.  Maybe his memory just isn't what it used to be.  Remember Strom Thurman, the guy who opposed the Civil Rights Act?  That old b****** started his political career in 1933 and it didn't end until a few months before his death in 2003 at 100.  

Whether their intentions are noble or not, for the good of the country, I do feel that term limits need to be enacted.  I am interested to see if Trump follows through on that promise.  
      January 17, 2017 2:34 PM MST

Could be he forgot. But I don't think so, I think the phrase simply was better for his statement. Than it would be to say I am going to refuse to go to the inauguration just like I did before with Bush. 

And Yes I agree we need term limits. Two terms Senate (12 yrs),  6 terms House (12yrs) with a limit 18 yrs total in Congress and no Lobbying for 5yrs unless it would be for a charity. 
      January 17, 2017 7:37 PM MST

Frankly, I would like to see shorter terms but I can work with what you are outlining.  Let's see if my people and your people can't make it happen.  lol.

As far as Lewis goes, I think what you state is something he would have been better off saying.  It's less of an embarrassment.  He has been around long enough to know people are going to check.  "Just as I felt Bush was not a legitimate President in 2001, I feel the same way about Trump.  It's a matter of principle for me.  Due to that, I simply will not attend."  Or something like that.  Yeah, I think he's not as sharp as he used to be.  But, then again, he is still probably running circles around some of his younger colleagues (e.g. Henry Waxman).    
      January 18, 2017 6:17 AM MST

Boo hoo; he doesn't play if he doesn't get his way.  Shocker!!
      January 17, 2017 2:46 PM MST