Discussion » Questions » Politics » I'm on Medicare.. Right wingers wanna END it, but they PROMISED that they WON'T take it away from those who HAVE it. Do you BELIEVE them?

I'm on Medicare.. Right wingers wanna END it, but they PROMISED that they WON'T take it away from those who HAVE it. Do you BELIEVE them?

Posted - January 18, 2017

Responses

I DO know where you are coming from.  No one ever talks about cutting the hand-outs we give out to corporations and entities that simply don't need them.
      January 18, 2017 2:52 PM MST

Are their lips moving?  Take a guess.

They know damn well if they took that away the country would be destitute.   Why even say that?  That cannot even run the White House and they think they are going to demolish everyone's financial future?  Because that is what happens when someone gets sick and gets wiped out.  Homeless.  And if they can get away with that, Social Security comes next?   Oh, right, go ahead right-wingers and see how great your economy is when you try that fiasco.   I guess Putin can march right in and take over then, no?   I mean what would be the difference between the USA and Russia if that one happens?  I'm sure NO one voted for that choice. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 18, 2017 10:21 AM MST
      January 18, 2017 9:22 AM MST

• Lots of answers here and me being a total non-expert and all... I can only offer an objective outsider's perspective.. it seems totally, crazy, (not sure I am allowed to use that word as it might be considered disrespectful so apologies in advance if that gets me into trouble again) for any country not to look after the health and wellbeing of its people.. I could be wrong, but it seems to me counterproductive? It's one of the reasons we have the NHS, which is far from perfect I Know.. but it's founded on the theory that healthy people are better for the country as a whole and are able to work and contribute and that suffering is a bad thing.. SO conversely.. you would think it is bad for America to have people who need operations or medical care to not be able to access that.. causing not only suffering but loss of workdays etc.. 
      January 18, 2017 9:40 AM MST

not sure what to believe
      January 18, 2017 9:46 AM MST

I think it would be political suicide if any party takes away Medicare.  That is a huge voting population that no one wants to mess with.  

I am very concerned for those that need Medicaid or affordable health insurance like our working poor.  THAT is a population that often gets stomped on, most especially from the conservative mindset that believes we all have the ability to save money for a serious illness.  
      January 18, 2017 10:24 AM MST