Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » How can I keep this job?

How can I keep this job?

someone recently has been interested in me handing out food samples in the stores. I never heard back from the nanny one lately so i might take this one. I have the lousiest luck with jobs and have felt like a temp lately for the last 5 yrs except not thru the temps, i cant even get a job thru them. anyways, this place is practically wanting to hire me , right now theyre checking my background stuff and i gotta do a urine test for drugs too. im in school too and that starts tomorrow, and i could pick my own schedule so that helps with school, its part time but i havent even been able to find part time lately either and i could really use a job since ive been living on no income the past 5 yrs, literally. Ive tried several jobs and none have worked out. the last one was at a calling center, i scored a 73 on their test instead of an 85, i was only there two wks, i do better in food service and left the resorts only cause i had to have two hip implants and a knee surgery, so how do i keep this one, i dont want a temp job, i want a permanent one , any suggestions?

Posted - January 18, 2017

Responses

Do the food one.  It is easy and you will make friends.   You are kind and patient and people will like you.  If you have a way to get there and make your own schedule, take the job.   Then you can look for other jobs as long as you are working.  If you do that, you have a better chance of getting hired than having no job at all. 

Meanwhile, you have a JOB.   It is not even a horrible job. TAKE it. 
      January 18, 2017 10:11 AM MST

• Excellent answer!
      January 18, 2017 10:17 AM MST

Sharonna is usually right about things other than Presidential candidates! 
      January 18, 2017 1:00 PM MST

bhwilson

I cannot tell you how much I wish I was wrong about Trump.  I also wish I was wrong about Stalin and Hitler but I don't have that much vodka or that thick of a blindfold to wipe out reality.
      January 18, 2017 2:20 PM MST

im planning on taking it, i cant start till they do the background and drug test, im in school too but they let you make your own schedule and its part time so that will give me time to do homework, i'll probably just do that job and school, not sure if i'll look for another one right now
      January 18, 2017 1:26 PM MST

I hope this works for you, it seems like it might be a good fit with not a lot of stress. 

If it is a good one, you won't have to look for anything else, you are right about that. 
      January 18, 2017 2:21 PM MST

Ditto
      January 18, 2017 10:27 AM MST

Have they actually told you that you have the job, if you pass the drug/background tests?  If they have, and you can take the bus both to and from work as well as to and from any interviews or training classes required, I'd say take the job. I'd also find out if there's any required uniform or special clothing requirements. Some places just  require a white apron and your hair secured back but I 'd ask to make sure, in case you're required to purchase one. 
      January 18, 2017 11:34 AM MST

i asked them once i did the background and the drug test if it meant i had the job and they said yes, i already have a lot of clothes, i can use whatever they need me to use and if i dont have it i can get it
      January 18, 2017 1:23 PM MST

I think that's wonderful. Just do the best job you can and the rest should fall into place. 
      January 19, 2017 3:13 AM MST

I did that years ago for Cosco.
    Get good shoes, be friendly and assertive and show up on time and you should have no problem keeping that job.
      January 18, 2017 11:41 AM MST

what was it like to do that?
      January 18, 2017 1:24 PM MST

It's a good job for people who are in school or have another job as well.
    If you serve food you have to stay in control of your table and remember you are not there to feed them lunch.
    I enjoyed it because I am  people person and I enjoyed working with other people that I was able to make friends with.
    Good shoes are the most important thing to get because it is a lot of standing. Good Luck.
      January 18, 2017 1:51 PM MST

i have a doctors note, wonder if they'll let me sit if i have a bad knee
      January 18, 2017 1:59 PM MST

I don't know, you will have to ask them.
      January 18, 2017 2:01 PM MST

At least the times I've been at Costco, I don't think I've seen them sitting down and greeting customers. It's generally done standing up. But since you have a note, they may make an exception. 
      January 19, 2017 3:25 AM MST

That is what my mom did.  She worked for Club Demonstration at Costco.  I wish she'd worked FOR Costco, because she would have made more money, but she liked the job and stayed with them for years.
      January 18, 2017 2:24 PM MST

Good luck Pearl.  I have seen people sitting on stools doing the samples at Sams Club and Costco.  Is that where you will be working?  Will you be at the same stores all the time?  You can ride the bus?  I hope it works out.  You have been trying to find a job that fits you for so long. 
      January 19, 2017 12:30 AM MST