Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » If you could live forever, would you?

If you could live forever, would you?

"It is the knowledge that im going to die, that creates the focus that I bring to being alive, the urgency of accomplishment, the need to express love NOW, not later. If we live forever, why even get up in the morning, since you always have tomorrow?

That's not the kind of life I want to lead."

- Neil de Grasse.

"Yes, I would.
If im not trying to perpetuate myself why go to the doctor? Why plan careers and health initiatives if im not counting on tomorrow? 
Everything I do from looking both ways before I cross the road to brushing my teeth is geared to make myself live longer"

- Me

Posted - January 18, 2017

Responses

I totally will live forever.  Not in this body.   Life is sweet and life is hard.  It is a game.  It is a movie.  It is a dream and it is not real.  This is not who I am.  I am not the body and I think people who are terrified to let go of it have no idea what death even is. 

I have talked to and also read many accounts of people who have literally died on an operating table or some such place and then re-entered their body.  

They all say sort of the same thing.  They leave the body, they go towards a white light, they feel free and unencumbered and want to stay with whatever presence has chosen to meet  with them and there is usually a choice of whether to go back or not.  My point is, that everyone who came back here said they felt they were jumping into a smelly, gross sack when they re-entered the body .  It is filled with pain and hardship, why would anyone miss that? 

Death is small.  Don't fear the reaper.
      January 18, 2017 10:37 AM MST

• Are you going to be nice Sharonna? Not just this time?  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 18, 2017 2:02 PM MST
      January 18, 2017 10:56 AM MST

I'm going to be. 

Period.  Sorry if I offended you.  Not my intention.
      January 18, 2017 3:20 PM MST

• Maybe my sensitivities were set too high and I reacted childishly to something that I don't even remember now. And for that I apologize to you.
    About your answer, you know, it would be great if I could believe that as you can. Honestly. And I have no explanation for the stores of people leaving and coming back, I mean, they are believable to me. 
    My struggle is not with wanting to not believe and not being able to. My struggle is with wanting to believe it, but not being able. You see?  Thanks Sharonna, I appreciate your answer. I hope mine makes sense.
      January 19, 2017 2:43 PM MST

Great question Lagos and I commend you on your self discipline.  A lot of people don't think about the actions they take today may have life altering consequences tomorrow.

For me, the answer is no.  Although we can make changes & adjustments to our lives through healthier choices, we can't change genetics. I am reminded of the runner Jim Fixx.  Even if he started taking better care of himself at a much younger age, he was predisposed to a genetic heart condition at died at 52.

In addition, we can't control the aging of our bodies and minds.  Although there are a lucky few who live long lives and are able to remain active & independent, the majority don't.  With age, our looks fade, bone density breaks down, our cognitive functions decrease, our sight and hearing become diminished.  Nothing functions at full capacity.  We are living, breathing machines whose parts eventually fail.  Some parts can be replaced, most can't. I don't want to be living within a shell of my former self being dependent on another human being. That, to me, is like a prison sentence.  

Now, if I was able to live forever looking & functioning in both mind & body like a 16 - 35 year old with the knowledge I have accumulated throughout my life, sign me up.
      January 18, 2017 10:44 AM MST

• I understand the first part of your response. I do. But it is like saying, "No im not interested in car racing since my car can only do Fifty miles an hour" No?
    I suppose I should make a clarification. According to the last part of your response. You are right. If the price for living eternally is sickness an pain, then no. You can forget that.
    Thank you Harry.
      January 18, 2017 10:54 AM MST

No, I would not. If I could live forever I'd lose my humanity. I wouldn't be willing to give that up. This post was edited by dragonfly46 at January 18, 2017 2:32 PM MST
      January 18, 2017 11:00 AM MST

• Why would you lose your humanity. Wouldn't it make you more human as you know more and get to see more of people's struggles and happiness?
    Although, thinking about it, if you are already a bad person, I suppose it would make you worse. 
    Why would you lose your humanity?
    I don't understand.
      January 18, 2017 1:54 PM MST

As we are we are not made for forever. We are human. If altered, I'd become not human. To not be human is a loss of my humanity. By being human I see enough of others and their "struggles and happiness". I do not need to be altered to grasp that on another level. I'm doing just fine with what I have and what I am. To live forever would take me away from what makes me.....me. How can I truly be happy if I am not connected to my true nature? No, I am just fine, I want for nothing else.
      January 18, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• I understand.
      January 18, 2017 2:26 PM MST

Thought provoking question, Lago. Thanks. :))
      January 18, 2017 2:29 PM MST

You do?  To me, it sounds more like diving into the shallow end. 
      January 18, 2017 11:01 PM MST

• How so?
      January 19, 2017 5:07 AM MST

• Beautifully put, Dragonfly. I understand that completely.
      January 18, 2017 2:31 PM MST

Thank you, Didge. Always a kind word for this little dragonfly. Nice to see you, my friend.
      January 18, 2017 2:41 PM MST

• Glad you survived that terrible kingfisher attack I sent you the other day. :) 
      January 18, 2017 3:01 PM MST

Me too. :))
      January 18, 2017 9:22 PM MST

I don't know. The idea of living forever might be just as frightening as the thought of dying. 
      January 18, 2017 11:41 AM MST

• Yeah, it would be frightening. I can see that too.
      January 18, 2017 1:55 PM MST

• I believe I would choose to, unless the death(s) of loved one(s) was too much to go on.
      January 18, 2017 12:45 PM MST

• Yeah, that would kind of suck. Hm.
    I'd still take it.
    Thanks J.
      January 18, 2017 2:01 PM MST

Well, like it or not, I think we are immortal...

But our mode of being will be different that the one we are presently experiencing...

Personally, I think that's great.
      January 18, 2017 1:21 PM MST

• Like you say, like it or not, I haven't seen anything pointing to that. But I agree fully and completely with you. If it was true that we live forever on a different, better state of spirituality, sure, I'd take that any day.
    Thanks Tom.
      January 18, 2017 1:58 PM MST

That's sort of what I'm expecting to happen.
      January 18, 2017 3:08 PM MST