Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » If you could live forever, would you?

If you could live forever, would you?

"It is the knowledge that im going to die, that creates the focus that I bring to being alive, the urgency of accomplishment, the need to express love NOW, not later. If we live forever, why even get up in the morning, since you always have tomorrow?

That's not the kind of life I want to lead."

- Neil de Grasse.

"Yes, I would.
If im not trying to perpetuate myself why go to the doctor? Why plan careers and health initiatives if im not counting on tomorrow? 
Everything I do from looking both ways before I cross the road to brushing my teeth is geared to make myself live longer"

- Me

Posted - January 18, 2017

Responses

• I truly hope for you to get it. Thanks Tom.
      January 20, 2017 8:45 AM MST

Yep, and so far, so good.
      January 18, 2017 1:55 PM MST

• Exactly!
      January 18, 2017 1:59 PM MST

definitely not
      January 18, 2017 1:56 PM MST

Sure. Why not? Just another way to punish myself.
      January 18, 2017 2:03 PM MST

• I wasn't thinking of it that way, it sounds kind of sad when you put it that way.
    Thank you Z.
      January 18, 2017 2:24 PM MST

• Not hardly. I've been there, done that, don't particularly want to have to do it all again. And, no, that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying life, just an acceptance of limits. 

Heinlein looked at this idea in Time Enough for Love and showed how even the most capable of people may find that it all becomes a bit "same old, same old" if you stick around long enough.

Here's a selfie of me with my good buddy Grim. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 19, 2017 4:22 AM MST
      January 18, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• I understand. Im pretty sure I could find things to do. A long time ago the life expectancy was about 45 years old.
    I wonder if asked back then, would you like to live to a hundred?
    How many people would stick with their limitations. No?
      January 18, 2017 2:45 PM MST

• 100 has it's appeal and I'm going so well I have a good chance of making it. (My brother died at 91 and sister is now a healthy 92.) I might even manage to enjoy 150 years (I'd love to see what technology is coming next.) But you asked about "forever" and that's scary. 
      January 18, 2017 3:00 PM MST

• You are right, Mr D. You are right. I was waiting for that. 
    Thanks for participating.
      January 18, 2017 3:05 PM MST

I read your question, but not de Grasse's quote...

I find it interesting that it is because he knows he's going to die that he is "motivated" to live...

For me, awareness of my probable temporal death in the "natural" order of things also motivates me to live well since there is so much goodness in life...

But it is my conviction that I will also be alive [because one of the principles of my (our) being is an immortal principle] in what may be characterized as a "supernatural" order of things is also a great motivator...

----Because I think the qualities that I develop well in this lifetime will somehow naturally redound to my benefit in a supernatural life---and therefore there I will have a greater opportunity to grow in love, understanding, and knowledge when there.

January 18, 2017 3:20 PM MST

• I find it very interesting how the certainty of death, in some people causes them to live fuller and attempt greater, while in others it acts as a demotivator. A "what's the point" sort of thing.
    In a way a, I envy your certainty on a there being a different, spiritual level of existence. I think that that bit of uncertainty and doubt motivates my inclination to choose immortality. Perhaps if I was as certain as you are, I would choose differently.
    Thank you Tom. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 18, 2017 6:51 PM MST
      January 18, 2017 6:49 PM MST

You have always been here
    and you will always be here
      January 18, 2017 6:53 PM MST

• How's that Baba?
      January 18, 2017 7:09 PM MST

know who you are
      January 18, 2017 7:27 PM MST

• Ok?
      January 18, 2017 7:35 PM MST

• No, not particularly. There will inevitably come a time when you've passed both your usefulness and the potential for new experiences. Nothing left but repetition. Perhaps 100 years, maybe 600 years, maybe more. Nonetheless. I see death as a continuation of the natural process that brought me here, and whether what awaits afterward is perpetual rest or immortality, I am comfortable with either one. 
      January 18, 2017 7:12 PM MST

• That seems to be the consensus. I suppose that boredom would be a major concern. But I think that things are not boring, I think we are boring. People are boring. I agree, death is part of the natural process of life. You are right on that one. It would be very difficult to argue against that. I think it is alright that you have found peace either way.
    Thanks Z, great response.
      January 18, 2017 7:34 PM MST

• I already feel out of date and out of touch with the times.
      January 19, 2017 4:24 AM MST

Eternity, God's purpose for mankind. Titus 1:2 says:"...based on a hope of the everlasting life that God, who cannot lie, promised long ago;" it is my goal in life  to eventually have eternity, under the rule of the Messianic kingdom here on earth. Conditions then will be completely different from the conditions here on earth today. Life will be pleasurable and every day a new experience. Conditions that rob us of enjoying life will be a thing of the past. (revelation 21:4)many cannot begin to beliieve in the gift of eternity because it is a  very difficult concept to understand. Yet, it's not a valid reason to believe it is impossible. It is sad many will miss out in the prospect of living forever on a paradise earth simply because they choose to not believe in the promises of the Almighty. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at January 20, 2017 12:01 AM MST
      January 19, 2017 11:52 PM MST

• What a wonderful thing that would be, wouldn't it?
    But I'm not sure if those of us who have problems believing that, donot do it out of not being able to.
    I have certainly tried very hard.
    Thank you for your very nice answer Autumn.  
      January 20, 2017 8:49 AM MST

You are most certainly welcome! I cannot begin to tell you how it warms my heart to know of individuals that listen to the message of the good news. Keep in mind that "with God all things are possible". (Matthew 19:26) I know that believing in a better world is hard to imagine. However the promises of a better life, even a perfect life in ideal conditions are from the God, Creator, and Sovereign of the universe. He assures us that what he promises he will keep,  Isaiah 55:10,11 says:"for just as the rain and the snow pour down from heaven and do not return there until they saturate the earth, making it produce and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so my word that goes out of my mouth will be. It will not return to me without results, but it will certainly accomplish whatever is my delight, and it will have sure success in what i send it to do." :)
      January 20, 2017 11:49 PM MST

• Thank you Autumn for taking the time to write. You know? I was raised in a very religious environment. Not many people know this, but I used to be one of those kids that would get up there and preach. But one day I stopped. 
    Sometimes I pray, but maybe I do it more out of tradition or maybe fear, than conviction. It was a lot easier back then.
    Thanks again, Autumn for your thoughtful words.
      January 21, 2017 8:36 AM MST

Jehovah God is a very loving,,patient, and understanding God.  He knows your circumstances better than anyone else. Take your concerns to him in prayer and he will answer you. (2 peter 3:9; psalms 65:2)
      January 21, 2017 11:57 AM MST

Hello Lago. Hopefully I will. I know the Bible hope of the resurrection. A little truth that the Churches try to hide in replacing it with the babylonish teaching of immortality of the soul.

(Psalm 37:10, 11) Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
    (Proverbs 2:21, 22) For only the upright will reside in the earth, And the blameless will remain in it. 22 As for the wicked, they will be cut off from the earth, And the treacherous will be torn away from it.
    (John 5:28, 29) Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.
      January 21, 2017 3:10 PM MST