Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Music » What's your guilty pleasure song? A song that, even though you like it, you wouldn't drive downtown on blast, with the Windows down?

What's your guilty pleasure song? A song that, even though you like it, you wouldn't drive downtown on blast, with the Windows down?

I remember been blown away the first time I heard this. At first I was a little intrigued with the slow build up and the perfect harmonies. I was like Meh. But then it starts riding the F minor like a train catching speed and before I knew I was tapping my foot and following the rhythm with my head.
The synchopation before the two minutes mark, that tiny move from C# to Cm on "moving in", the fall after "lose your head", fantastic. And when you think it is over, it grabs you to do it all over again at the 3:30 Mark. Absolutely fantastic!
I just wish it was about something else. Not the best song to blast as I pull into the parking lot at work.

Posted - January 18, 2017

Responses

• While looking for a good copy to post, I came up to this one. I figure my friends from across the water would appreciate it. Gotta love the broken umbrella!. :)
    You're welcome.
      January 18, 2017 1:45 PM MST

• (I'm seriously thinking that you're developing a full blown Union Jack fetish).
    Thank you for that, it was terrible. )
      January 18, 2017 11:16 PM MST

• You're welcome, im glad you didn't like it. )
      January 19, 2017 5:00 AM MST

• This will be my default response if - if - you continue with this cruel, cruel goading. No words just this

January 19, 2017 5:06 AM MST

• Ok, im sorry. 
    I won't do it again. (
      January 19, 2017 11:29 AM MST

• I want to believe you )
      January 19, 2017 12:24 PM MST

• I promise.
      January 20, 2017 11:27 AM MST

•   January 19, 2017 1:25 PM MST

• Yes.
      January 19, 2017 11:12 PM MST

• that's a blooming good song.. I'd play it with the windows down... erm mind you where I work there are lots of 18 year olds so I would probably look a right nerd... lol shame.. that the young things now days have no taste in music :P 

And my daughter who will just about tolerate SOME of my music choices in the car will ALWAYS turn it down when we pull up to school... 

Here's a good one that would get some really odd looks from the young things.... embarrassing as heck...
      January 18, 2017 3:48 PM MST

Haha!  Daydream!  That is great!  I never saw or heard that version here in the states.  Thanks for sharing it.
      January 18, 2017 3:55 PM MST

• "Blooming good" . . That's good.
    It's easier when im riding with my daughter as I can blame my embarrassing music on her! 
    About your choice of songs, yeah, I can see how I'd turn down the volume on that one. )
    Thank you for responding. 
      January 18, 2017 6:34 PM MST

LOL Lagos.  That song brings back memories.  Good ones.  Wild ones.  Can't say I was a club kid, but I used to go to Studio 54 quite often.  In the early 80's (82 maybe?) I saw The Weather Girls at the club.  In my mind it's the quintessential disco song.

There is no guilty pleasure song that I am fearful someone would hear me listening to. Thus is the freedom from embarrassment and self-consciousness that comes with age.

January 18, 2017 3:52 PM MST

• Wow!!!
    It never ceases to amaze me the things I learn from people here!!!
    You actually went to Studio 54! 
    That's f**king awesome! That's a MONSTER part of American music history and popular culture. The place where people went to be seen and be free. And the music! For me it would be about the music and the freedom. 
    There are documentaries about that place. How was it? Was it like they show on TV???? 
    It truly is a treat that you answered my humble question. 
    Thank you!!! This post was edited by Just Asking at January 21, 2017 3:38 PM MST
      January 18, 2017 5:54 PM MST

haha!  You're not speaking with royalty here kid.  LOL.  

Our minds decipher things differently I think.  I wasn't into being seen, didn't think about it.  Just wanted to blow off energy, dance, & have fun.  In a lot of ways it was like you have seen on TV and documentaries.  But, of course, I have memories (somewhat spotty I will admit) with my friends at the time.  I do recall it always being packed so tight that you were always bumping into people.  It was hot and uncomfortable most of the time too.  You could barely hear each other talk.  But, we were there for the music, the drinks & an assortment of " other refreshments" being offered.  Like I said it was wild & fun but my memory is a quite spotty.  I remember finding bits of sparkly confetti lodged somewhere new on my body, in my clothes, & for a few months on the floor of my room!  LOL.

Also went to CBGBs (disgusting place, smelled awful, but great music).  The only band I can vaguely recall seeing there was The Talking Heads.  I know we went specifically to see them.  That one I will always remember.  They were great.

On the flip side of all the wild stuff, I couldn't get enough of Jazz & Blue Grass. So, also during the 80's (mid ? - don't remember dates) I went to the Blue Note.  LOL. I remember the full body impact & almost getting knocked over in the back hallway by Sarah Vaughn after her set.  She was funny & nice.  She apologized while telling me she needed to get back to her dressing room to see what was happening with "her" Dodgers (I assumed a game was on at the same time as her performance).  The Blue Note is a great little club.  Very intimate.  Or at least it was.  Haven't been back there for 30 years or so.
      January 19, 2017 6:10 AM MST

• Let's think about that for a minute, Mr Harry.
    Back in the seventies this one guy Nick Cohn convinced The New York magazine to let him document this new phenomenon called disco, a largely ethnic, largely GAY! underground trend that had taken over parts of New York City. (Tribal Rites of the New Saturday Nights, 1976)
    Then it exploded, the movie came out and together with the BeeGees it made like a bazillion dollars world wide. He talked about how this group of poor but proud Italians worked all week and every Saturday night they'd let off steam in the disco floor.
    "Young Brooklyn Italian Catholic wants to dance but is being told he is a nobody and will always be a nobody by his family as they think all things Catholic are what you should aspire to . . ." 
    Well, turns out that it was all made up. Nick knew he could never sell a story about a bunch of gay guys dressing outrageously and dancing disco. So he changed it a little bit. The original was not the Tony character of the movie, but a dancer named Tu Sweet!
    So the same way Evis made it ok for white people to like black music, Saturday Night Fever made it ok for straight people to like disco.
    At about that time Studio 54, opened. And where before the club's were kept in the dark, Studio 54, decided to make the audience into the show and brightly lit them, with lights and tvs ad glitter. At the same time disco grew, Studio 54 was the place where all the stars, that were been heard in the radio would perform. 
    I was little then and didn't know anything about the gay, or drugs, or sex thing. I just thought the lights and the music and the costumes were awesome!
    So you see?
    You may not think that having been there was a big deal. But it really was! You were there!
    (Sorry, if that a lot to read. And thank you again for your response) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2017 3:40 PM MST
      January 19, 2017 12:16 PM MST

Yeah, I can definitely tell you there was NOTHING that could be found in any clubs at that time that was anything like the movie Saturday Night Fever.  I didn't read NY Mag as a teen so I wasn't aware of the article or that subsequent story.  Thanks for sharing it.  

I can see it is a time period you have a very deep interest in.  I am glad I was able to share my experience with you.  I honestly don't really think about it unless someone brings up something that jogs my memory, as you did in this post.  Then, I just feel old. haha.   
      January 19, 2017 1:20 PM MST

I'm a black guy listening to this stuff. Not something to be blasting in the hood.

This post was edited by Zack at January 21, 2017 3:41 PM MST
      January 18, 2017 5:57 PM MST

• Ha!
    I know exactly what you mean! You would definitely lose some street cred with that one. That's funny Z.
    I was listening to the bass line on this song when stopped at a red light, in front of a liquor store. No kidding!
    I didn't realize my miscalculation until I notice people noticing me with a WTF look in their faces as I blasted this!

January 18, 2017 6:20 PM MST

January 18, 2017 6:46 PM MST

• This is a very deep song. Deep and sad. And yes, I would probably not blast it out there. Thanks.
      January 18, 2017 7:17 PM MST

• Can't help it.   It's got a good tune.

January 19, 2017 1:33 PM MST

• Mm-yeah, 
    I can think of many a neighborhood thru which I would be reluctant to blast that tune. But I do agree. It is a beautiful song.
      January 20, 2017 11:26 AM MST

• You know the funny thing?
    The song has been adopted as Southern pride song, but it was actually written by a Yankee, was sang mostly in Union camps, and is meant to about a slave lamenting being forced to run away from his birthplace to be free  and talking about all the foils, stupidity, and screw ups of his former masters. It's kinda like when people belt out  Born In the USA as an American-pride thing.

The melody and instrumentation of it is good though.  You know what songs were really racist though?   Oh Susanna and Turkey in the Straw( Originally  called Old Zip Coon). Oh Susanna has an original verse about a N***** being electrocuted.

I like the song Dixie but to be honest, if someone was blasting out their car windows in the place I grew up,  I'm gonna assume they are doing it as a racist statement.
      January 20, 2017 11:47 AM MST