Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Are the moral standards of students who went to public school as opposed the Catholic school obviously lacking?

Are the moral standards of students who went to public school as opposed the Catholic school obviously lacking?

I mean none of the kids from my Catholic years could conceivably act so rudely!

Posted - January 18, 2017

Responses

The Catholic schools have traditionally emphasized discipline and good morals. It's a little more difficult for the public schools because they don't have the luxury of expelling their problem students.
      January 18, 2017 10:09 PM MST

Moral standards are taught at home, regardless of one's religious beliefs or education. My husband went to Catholic all the way from kindergarten through high school. The first time I went to one of his reunions, there was one woman who was so rude and judgmental I had to walk away so as not to stoop to her level of rudeness. I also told my husband and his friends to keep her away from for the rest of the reunion.

I started in Catholic school.My parents pulled my brothers and I out of there after a few years because there was bullying, and frankly some of the nuns were just nuts.
      January 18, 2017 10:14 PM MST

• Oh I know 1_8 nuns and I and I can't wait to slough off Cardinal and Venal sins. But still,church is a good place to go on Sunday!
      January 19, 2017 5:09 AM MST

Moral standards aren't decided by school. What is moral standards anyway? They are decided by the group of people you spend your time around. They aren't a legal aspect, which is also why there easily get heated debates when discussing morality.
      January 18, 2017 10:57 PM MST

• I shouldn't think so. Two of my grandkids are attending Catholic schools but they'll get their morals from their parents.

Looking back at the people I've met over a lifetime -- Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims and unbelievers -- I couldn't say that any one group is more moral than the others.

Your question (and I assume you were tongue-in-cheek when you asked it) supposes a religion which offers the reward of Heaven for people who are "moral" and the punishment of Hell for those who are not, produces better citizens than we who are moral because it's the decent thing to do.
      January 18, 2017 11:11 PM MST

• I'm sure the Spanish inquisition was considered at the height of morality at the time .....
    Two things to take away from this
    The first being that morals are a product of time  and place ... and secondly that no one has the high moral ground
      January 19, 2017 2:41 AM MST

• Yea. Incidental to the moment and there is no moral high ground. Useful in any debate:)
      January 19, 2017 5:06 AM MST