Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Did you know that Russia has universal health care?

Did you know that Russia has universal health care?

Hello:

Read about it HERE.

excon

Posted - January 19, 2017

Responses

• Interesting. I didn't know that! I thought they only had one kind.
      January 19, 2017 7:54 AM MST

• I also didn't know that.. and it's interesting isn't it... it kinda fits with the idea that a country is only as good as it's people and therefore the health of those people is a vital consideration.. and keeping them healthy is a wise move... 

On the other hand they are known not to be so caring of those, even their own people, who disagree or don't fit the mould... they get bumped off.. or as my dad used to say, sent to the salt mines, (hard labour) 
      January 19, 2017 8:04 AM MST

Any info on the quality and how they pay for it?
      January 19, 2017 8:05 AM MST

Hello Stu:

All I know is what's on Wikipidia.  But, it does fit..  As poor as Cuba is, they have pretty good universal health care too..

excon
      January 19, 2017 8:12 AM MST

• I read about that on Wiki also. Seems like a good set-up to me!
      January 19, 2017 8:18 AM MST

Most every industrial nation has universal healthcare.  We are one of the few that still don't mind the huge profits CEOs make in the name of healthcare.  

I have family in Canada.  They are not worse off having universal care.  

You would think the US would rank number 1 with our privatization.  Nope!  We rank rather poor next to other nations.  We sure don't like preventative care either.

Everyone wants to know how it would be paid for.  Really?  Imagine getting rid of all those premiums we pay.  Of course there would be a new tax, but I am sure it wouldn't compare to what is paid to private insurance.  

January 19, 2017 9:33 AM MST

• Absolutely.. America has a LOT of the best technology, medicines and advances in treatments.. so in other words America has access to the BEST there is in terms of med care...and health.. so why are they denying this to many of their own people? It makes no sense to me!  It's hard to understand... as in reality nothing is as important as having a healthy population.  

We get taxed as you know.. we grumble from time to time but few begrudge it.. we know why we pay the tax and we know that we can access med care without worrying about paying.   
      January 19, 2017 9:39 AM MST

Exactly!!!   If people understood WHERE their premiums were really going, they would get good and pissed off.  There is no way a pharmaceutical company can justify raising their prices by a 100 fold on some of these drugs that have been around for YEARS!  I once worked in the legal industry and you would be shocked at how often big pharma pays out to lawsuits.  They want to make that up somewhere.  Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if they stopped being allowed to behave like a big, greedy corporation.

Our preventative care is appalling.  We rather cover the uninsured in emergency rooms than let them go to a doctor.  

How anyone can be OK with any citizen being without healthcare is scary to me.  These seem to be the same people that don't want any abortions either, but hey...I won't go there.  

Either we care about all our citizens, or we don't.  You can't say you care if you allow someone to suffer with a horrible disease without treatment.  Many forget that before we had Obamacare, a lot of people that had no insurance were WORKING full time!  Companies don't offer healthcare automatically anymore.  Private insurance is too expensive!
      January 19, 2017 9:47 AM MST

• Agree totally..  I will confess we have the same problem with big pharma companies charging too much for meds.. it's a horrible way to behave. Both our countries need to tackle that.
      January 19, 2017 9:55 AM MST

I feel they have a right to charge for innovation and production, but when I hear of CEOs making millions every year, I get sick.  Big pharma itself makes billions in PROFITS and often pay zero taxes on it because they can!

January 19, 2017 9:59 AM MST

Hello again, friends:

I'm a capitalist..  I'd RATHER the private sector solve their problems on their own.  But, as noted, not only are they NOT fixing their problems, the private sector IS the problem..  For profit health care WORKED at one time, and doctors made house calls at one time too.  But, those days are LONG gone..

PARTIAL solutions, like Obamacare, that leave the FOR PROFIT health care system in tact, is broken from the start.. So, while I'm NOT a proponent of government interference in the marketplace, I AM a proponent of the safety net, and when the need arises, I'll choose it every time.

excon This post was edited by excon at January 19, 2017 10:31 AM MST
      January 19, 2017 10:20 AM MST

• Interesting to read a different perspective. 
      January 19, 2017 10:31 AM MST

When are all the Trump haters moving out and going to Russia?
      January 19, 2017 10:37 AM MST

We won't be getting it any time soon here.
      January 19, 2017 12:33 PM MST