Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If you could put together a psychological profile of a typical Trump supporter, what would it look like?

If you could put together a psychological profile of a typical Trump supporter, what would it look like?

Posted - January 19, 2017

Responses

•   January 19, 2017 10:25 AM MST

January 19, 2017 10:28 AM MST

January 19, 2017 10:37 AM MST

• I think that the average Trump supporter is someone who has felt marginalised and ignored. Someone who got tired of his views and concerns being relegated and taken as backwards. They don't care about international agreements and think that a big military would be enough to maintain America minding its own business. They have been waiting for a long time for someone to validate them and their needs. Unfortunately, that someone came in the form of a Supreme Jsckass, who has no beliefs and whose only commitment is to the service of himself. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 19, 2017 5:26 PM MST
      January 19, 2017 10:40 AM MST

• Well thought answer. I can understand the cry for help but it was almost certainly made to the wrong person. Hope I'm wrong. 
      January 19, 2017 10:57 AM MST

I have no idea. I still can't believe anyone voted for him.
      January 19, 2017 10:45 AM MST

I would like to draw a picture of what a devout Trump supporter who thinks like Trump and acts like Trump therefore perhaps even begins to resemble the image of Trump ...

Check your mirror image once in a while you truly devout Trump supporters ! This post was edited by Kittigate at January 19, 2017 11:56 AM MST
      January 19, 2017 10:49 AM MST

I hate generalizing but I will use what I know about the people I am friends with who voted for him (from our discussions): 

High school education/no college, low paying jobs w/o healthcare, know Trump from his television show and like how he handles himself, don't think that show is edited too much, aren't familiar with world problems, hate large government, hate all politicians/believe they are all liars, found Obamacare was too expensive due to the amount of combined gross income with spouse, pissed off they would either have to pay for a health care plan that they can't afford or have to pay a penalty if they didn't choose one, hate large corporations, hate lobbyists such as big pharma & oil although they don't know the precise details -- just in general from what other people have told them, they know a lot of people who, instead of working a job choose to work the system and collect welfare/food stamps/subsidized housing -- want to see that stopped, although they are aware he lies they feel those lies aren't anything big compared to those of the career politicians, hate Hillary Clinton more than they dislike Trump, have respect for a man who they believe is a self-made billionaire, really do believe he will drain the swamp which they know the democrats won't do, they like his in your face bluntness, they want to see Hillary Clinton get prosecuted & thrown in jail, they believe she has had people killed, they passed along emails that contained fake information about Obama & Clinton and assume it is the truth, they disbelieve anything negative stated about Trump because the mainstream media lies.

I'm sure I'm missing some other things I was told but that's the gist of it. This post was edited by Harry at January 19, 2017 5:27 PM MST
      January 19, 2017 10:51 AM MST

Wow. BULLSEYE!!
      January 19, 2017 11:21 AM MST

Been there, done that.

“A person who is superficially charming and well-spoken; demonstrates inflated self-esteem, arrogance, and a sense of superiority; is consistently deceitful and prone to pathological lying; is cunning and manipulative, maneuvering others for his or her own personal gain; has no remorse and feels no guilt; is callous, inconsiderate, and unconcerned by the pain and suffering of others; shows shallow affect , demonstrating a limited range and depth of emotional responses and feelings; exhibits minimal fear responses and a disinclination to change behavior in response to pain or negative social stimuli; and gets bored easily, needing constant stimulation.”

Sorry, I just noticed your question was about a Trump supporter - this is about Trump, and too good to waste. I got it from another website.
      January 19, 2017 11:10 AM MST

LOL!  I think I remember seeing that somewhere too as a definition for a psychopath.
      January 19, 2017 11:15 AM MST

Are you talking about those who had the signs in their yards and stickers on their cars, or the ones who voted for him because they thought Hillary was a worse choice? They are two different people.
      January 19, 2017 11:34 AM MST

How about both since they are two different people.
      January 19, 2017 11:35 AM MST

Those who went out full force campaigning for him have lost touch with reality. Most campaigning just focused on what they wanted to hear. Such as secure borders and keeping jobs in the US.

Most of the voters weren't actually voting for him as much as they were voting against Hillary. They just don't trust her. She has been involved in way too many scandals. She has never been charged with anything, but she has surrounded herself with plenty of people who have been. Many people just can't trust she will not surround herself with the same type people to run our country?
      January 19, 2017 12:31 PM MST

Some Trump loyalists are psychologically or neurologically different from everyone else. Here's how:
    1. The Dunning-Kruger Effect--
    hey do not even know they don't know. Clueless.
    2. Hypersensitivity to Terror---More fearful than others.
    3. Terror Management Theory--anxiety of their own mortality, religious, ideological, identifies with own social group--nationalists.
    4. High attention engagement---addicted to reality shows, Fox Media, and other tabloid media.

Others:
    Have Ayn Rand mentality, the selfish gene.

And that we have a plutocracy form of government, instead of a democracy. 

January 19, 2017 11:37 AM MST

• I realize that on this site that I will be seen in a negative light and no big deal but to think that all people who supported Trump are in one box is just nonsense that makes the far left feel better about the loss. I have a Master's Degree and have health care and never watched the show Trump had on television.  But hey, you got it right that I don't like Clinton.  
      January 19, 2017 2:42 PM MST