Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The President-Elect deserves respect even if/when he screws us bigly. My oh my. Why?

The President-Elect deserves respect even if/when he screws us bigly. My oh my. Why?

Posted - January 19, 2017

Responses

• Wellllllllllllllllll  I may be unpopular for saying so, (especially here where it seems i am incorrect on that score) but I believe respect is given freely but then, when someone proves unworthy of that respect and trust you should NOT respect or TRUST them.. just my opinion
      January 19, 2017 10:35 AM MST

I don't respect disrespectful people. Trump shows contempt/disrespect/hatred for many folks. He is unworthy of being respected. He is a travesty. A black eye. A disease. An evil/ A worst-case scenario. He will get what he deserves by and by. I hope. Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 19, 2017 10:51 AM MST

• You don't have to like him, or anybody for that matter....but in my opinion, one should respect the position. Just like a boss you dislike....dislike all you want, but at the end of the day, you respect his/her position as your boss.
      January 19, 2017 1:54 PM MST

• Not necessarily..bosses in the UK have less expectation re being respected in that way.. this is just a cultural observation.. not saying it's right or wrong.. but I think we in the UK tend to respect people JUST because they are the boss or the president/Prime minister than perhaps is the case in other cultures?  We are very free to tell our boss what we think of them.. if the Queen annoyed me I would feel free to tell her so..  I may have misunderstood cultural stuff a bit but it has seemed to me that bosses, say in America, have more power or supposed rights than here..  we don't respect them cos they are the boss - we respect them ONLY if they are a good, fair boss who is supportive and encouraging.. bad bosses don't do well here, tho of course we have those too... I wonder, and maybe I am wrong, if we have more rights in that respect here.. like a boss cannot sack us without a good reason... certainly not if we tell them what we think of them.. 

On a wider level I guess I am saying that I don't believe that we would respect a bad president.. I dont honestly think we would tolerate one who behaved badly.. one that was proven to be dishonest.. it wouldnt happen in modern Brit land... and we wouldnt tolerate one who behaves childishly or without dignity..  Interestingly we have a sorta equiv of Trump.. not quite so awful but stupid as mud, and an idiot who says the wrong thing at the wrong time and who has offensive perspectives and offends people, usually foreign dignitaries... he's always getting reprimanded... and told off.. I think ultimately he will lose his position... sooo just saying.. I find it hard to believe we should respect someone who is inherently abhorrent. 
      January 19, 2017 3:43 PM MST

Which is why I don't respect the small orange man who takes over today. When  he resigns he will deserve my respect. Until then I see nothing about him that is respectable or respectful which means he is unworthy of being respected. Thank you for your reply DdbTD. I know this was directed to another Answermugger but I popped in anyway. Apologies! :)
      January 20, 2017 4:32 AM MST

Thank for your opinion Angela. I totally, completely and absolutely disagree with you. I had a boss once who was VP of Finance. He interviewed me and hired me for a brand new job. By the 3rd day I gave notice. Not to him. To the company president's secretary. She whisked me off to lunch and I told her how ignorant/incompetent and pompous he was and I couldn't stand him  She told me confidentially that they were  in the process of replacing him and asked me to please hang in.  She said they were very well aware of his ignorance. His resume said he had a Master's Degree in Finance from Harvard. He clearly lied. No one who had even high school accounting could be as ignorant and wrong about proper accounting procedures as this pompous a **. I did hang in based on her word that they were going to replace him. They replaced the ignoramus with a really nice and knowledgeable person and it turned out to be the best job I ever had in terms of benefits/bonuses,salary. By far the best. I don't lie. I don't fake anything. If I don't respect someone I don't give a dam* what the title is. As for the small orange man who takes over as prez today? The only thing he can possibly do to get my respect is resign. Happy Friday.
      January 20, 2017 4:23 AM MST

Respect doesn't work that way with me and I don't follow the flock when it comes to a popular opinion. There's no way I'll respect someone that disrespects the American people to their faces. Respect is earned. I respect the title, but not the person. HOORAY FOR RESPECT!!! This post was edited by Zack at January 20, 2017 4:24 AM MST
      January 19, 2017 1:57 PM MST

I don't respect the title or the office Zack. The only thing the small orange man who takes over today can do to get my respect is resign. Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 20, 2017 4:25 AM MST

Respect goes with the office, independently of whether or not the man deserves it...

But while Trump may be president (for at least some amount of time) when he is not specifically exercising a function of the presidency, (like when he's grabbing women by the crotch)  he has to earn my respect...

(And if one is so inclined to find solace in ancient writings, isn't there some comment in some book about "By Me kings rule and wise men declare just things?")
      January 19, 2017 2:39 PM MST

I totally disagree with you tom . Respect does not go with the title or the office in my opinion. The only thing the small orange man who takes over today can do to get my respect is resign. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      January 20, 2017 4:27 AM MST

When I say I "respect" a person or a thing, I maintain an interior distinction based on the use and misuse of the world in general discourse...

Respect comes from the Latin spicio---to see.  Adding re as a prefix indicates we have looked at it with the precision usually found in "Monday morning quarterbacking."...

Unfortunately, respect has come to mean "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something."...

(And none of the following pronouns that I use in the following refer to you... After reviewing my answer, I realized that might not be clear.)...

But if I tell someone I respect their opinion, it conveys neither admiration nor esteem for that opinion...  It simply means that I know precisely what they are saying...  Neither my admiration nor my esteem for what they have said is guaranteed...  I respect the devil for my own sake, not because I approve or admire him.

So, I respect the presidency as an office established by our Founding Fathers as delineated in our Constitution---and if you are one of our enemies, I suggest you do so as well....

Because our new Secretary of Defense was once quoted as saying "We’ve backed off in good faith to try and give you a chance to straighten this problem out... But I am going to beg with you for a minute.... I'm going to plead with you, do not cross us.... Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years."

And all individuals, parent or politician, must prove to me they are worth of my admiration...

And one more quote from Gen Mattis: "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f--k with me, I’ll kill you all."  This post was edited by tom jackson at January 21, 2017 9:47 AM MST
      January 21, 2017 9:35 AM MST