Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Who are your favourite authors -- one from the classics, one from folklore, and one modern?

Who are your favourite authors -- one from the classics, one from folklore, and one modern?

Posted - January 19, 2017

Responses

• For classic I'll put down J. R. R. Tolkien for Lord of The Rings (that's a classic right).

I'm not sure about folklore so I'll instead say Robert Frost. (Or perhaps this should be switched with Tolkien)

I'll finish off the modern category with Ted Dekker and throw in some C. S. Lewis. I may even include some David Evans.
      January 19, 2017 6:52 PM MST

• I'd have to give you a point for that last one.

You probably know that Tolkien and Lewis were friends. Together with another writer whose name I forget they called themselves The Inkspots and held their meetings in an Oxford pub. 
      January 19, 2017 8:10 PM MST

• Interesting information. I figured I'd earn a point or two for that last one.
      January 19, 2017 9:57 PM MST

Classic is easy - Dostoyefsky.

Folklore - hmmmm - not sure - Aesop - Hans Christian Anderson - Mother Goose ??? This one has me stumped.

Modern - JD Salinger.
      January 19, 2017 8:22 PM MST

• Folk lore covers a lot of ground and I was tempted to include fairy tales under that heading. But it also includes people like Mark Twain. Thanks, Louie. 
      January 19, 2017 10:07 PM MST

I forgot about Dostoyefsky - - I like his stuff a lot, too.
    :)
      January 20, 2017 11:35 AM MST

• I've read a couple but he's a tad heavy for me.  Crime and Punishment left me feeling depressed. 
      January 20, 2017 12:37 PM MST

His heaviness is what appeals to me, I think.
    "The Idiot" is my favorite of his -- and I read it as one of the last books by him that I was reading.
      January 20, 2017 7:42 PM MST

Hmmmm~  This question lends itself to a moment of pondering.  I'm not sure I can categorize them as you wish.  They seem to overlap a bit.  Calling these authors my absolute favorites will be testing my loyalty.  Why and when I read them, how old I was, and my overall understanding of these stories play a huge factor in choosing these authors.  If I were to read them again today, they may not have such an impact. I can say, however, they were definitely a true pleasure to read.  I'll give it a try.
    Classic ~ Rudyard Kipling  The Jungle Book
    Folklore ~ Brothers Grimm  Cinderella
    Modern ~ David Evans  The Mistress of Dimmiga Berg

The last author I put under modern because he is still alive.  His style is modern and creative, yet, he weaves in history and fact.  He might be better placed under folklore or fairy tale.  Part fiction.  Part fact.  He's hard to put into one category.  He is modern with a classic style; yet, has a huge flare of folklore.  I promote him to everyone I know. This post was edited by Merlin at January 20, 2017 12:39 PM MST
      January 20, 2017 2:26 AM MST

I probably answer inaccurately as far as categories.

I'll choose Franz Kafka as my classics category author

Clive Barker as folklore
    ~ His great "The Great and Secret Show" and its sequel "Everville" strike me as a folklore/horror genre. (I did read all of the Tolkien Ring books and I tried but failed to see the enchantment so many others find.)

Shirley Jackson as modern

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 20, 2017 12:40 PM MST
      January 20, 2017 11:24 AM MST

• Kafka had a flair for the bizarre that modern writers like Dean Koontz could only envy. Good choice. :) 
      January 20, 2017 12:41 PM MST

Thanks, Didge.
      January 20, 2017 7:43 PM MST

Jeffrey Archer!
      January 20, 2017 11:36 AM MST