Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Despise. Detest. Hate. Are they the same or different? How?

Despise. Detest. Hate. Are they the same or different? How?

Posted - January 20, 2017

Responses

• Despise: feel contempt or a deep repugnance for.
    Detest: dislike intensely.
    Hate: feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone).   intense or passionate dislike.

They all have something in common but for me? Hate is a poison whereas to despise or detest is just what it says. Not hate.
      January 20, 2017 9:30 AM MST

• Agree, Rooster. They're not emotions I'd want to wallow in but quite different form each other. 
      January 20, 2017 1:20 PM MST

I have never hated anyone/anything but I do detest/despise the small orange man! Happy Saturday Didge! :)
      January 21, 2017 2:22 AM MST

((hugs)) Ditto!  I have never hated anyone/anything. But I do detest/despise! Thank you for your reply Rooster and Happy Saturday! :)
      January 21, 2017 2:21 AM MST

They mean the same thing  "an intense dislike"

Detest:  to feel abhorrence of; hate; dislike intensely.

Hate: intense or passionate dislike 
    synonyms:hatredloathingdetestation,dislikedistaste
    Despise: to dislike (something or someone) very much 
    synonyms
    :detesthateloatheabhor,execrate

January 20, 2017 2:42 PM MST

Not to me. I have never hated anyone/anything but I do detest/despise the small orange man. To me someone who hates will kill/murder. I won't. The only thing the small orange man can do to get my respect is resign. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Saturday to thee. As you get what you want be aware it will be at my expense. Enjoy it. It will be costing me and others just like me a lot.
      January 21, 2017 2:24 AM MST

Well according to the dictionary those are the same thing. 
      January 21, 2017 6:37 AM MST