Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are you watching the Presidential inauguration activities?

Are you watching the Presidential inauguration activities?

Are you enjoying it? 

Posted - January 20, 2017

Responses

• On and off.   Boring and not really that important.
      January 20, 2017 2:57 PM MST

• While I have a special affinity for any event of a historic nature or of national import, this is the first that I've watched since Reagan. I think that my curiosity was peaked as this being the closing chapter of a very different general election.
      January 20, 2017 2:57 PM MST

I have it on. The parade is going. Do the actually show the rest of the parade or just the car President Trump is in? 
      January 20, 2017 3:09 PM MST

It is beginning now.  This post was edited by . at January 20, 2017 3:27 PM MST
      January 20, 2017 3:16 PM MST

I heard them talk about the military participating (I think I did see some of that) But I also heard them say that the Girl Scouts we participating. They said there were people objecting to them going. Is that not the parade? Is the entertainment part of the parade or something else?
      January 20, 2017 3:25 PM MST

• Heck no! I'd rather sit in a cage full of rats... or flush my own head down the toilet.. Can't think of anything more revolting than seeing a hideous excuse of a man about to embark upon the destruction of America's reputation.
      January 20, 2017 3:13 PM MST

A cage full of rats, yikes.  To flush yourself down the the toilet you would start by standing on your head.
    Are you up for that?  hahaha
      January 20, 2017 3:19 PM MST

• Truthfully?  Would I do that to *save* the US and the rest of the world from the ignorant, gormless liar that has just been sworn in as prez? Yes, absolutely.. I would do it.. a bit of unpleasantness to get rid of that evil slime is worth it.
      January 20, 2017 3:38 PM MST

It will be interesting to see what he does.  Personally I hope he is a successful President.  
    I prefer things to get better, not worse. 
      January 20, 2017 5:53 PM MST

Why do you have so much to say when you didn't participate in the election and you're not American? Go elect whomever you like in your country - I promise not to let it bother me.
      January 20, 2017 10:21 PM MST

LIKE X 1000

January 21, 2017 1:55 AM MST

She's been asked this before, but she never answers.
      January 21, 2017 6:57 AM MST

• While I may feel that sentiment at times about non-citizens being wrapped up in our politics...  It's not entirely fair or warranted when our government is so involved in and has say in so many other nations internal politics.   It's kind of the price we pay when we have a government who plays world police and sticks it's nose in the business of foreign nations and either starts wars with them, or drags them into our wars.
    People are allowed opinions and it's not as if Americans don't voice their opinions of the leadership and politics of other nations.   More often than not it's  in a less than positive light.

Moral of the story...  We reap what we sow.
      January 21, 2017 7:17 AM MST

• Thank you Glis, while I am sure you weren't coming to my defence as much as making a very good point. I would take this opportunity to give just one example... Ex Prez Obama like him or don't came to the UK and he actually threatened us!!! Seriously he did.. he said that if the UK leaves the EU we would be sorry as the US wouldn't trade with us..  I respect Obama in many ways and for many things but that was downright silly.. it's not on to threaten another country like that, especially as we import way, more than we export :P .. but that's what happens.. the US tries to influence us, we try to influence them.. 

It's the way of the world.. we are all free to comment on anything here.. and i am sure the lovely AMericans here who are proponents of free speech would, when they think about it agree.. I can comment on what i want as much as I want.. and really the only reason some might object is that they don't like what I say.. well that would be the same if I were not from elsewhere. they still wouldn't like it.. I therefore feel the comment that I shouldnt comment really wasnt that kind. 
      January 21, 2017 7:41 AM MST

• I didn't think he should have commented on it one way or the other either.  It was  in bad taste.

It's easy to get annoyed by outsiders commenting on politics of another person's  country.   True the world over.
    I'll admit though I get a little peeved when it's foreign comments about our internal policies though.  Presidents are another matter entirely.   They hold a lot of world influence and are mostly responsible for our external policies that have consequences for foreign nations.
      January 21, 2017 7:59 AM MST

Did you see where President Trump has reversed Pres Obama threat about UK being at the back of the line in trade? And has said he is interested in getting a trade deal with the UK very quickly.
      January 21, 2017 8:25 AM MST

• Hello m2c.. yes, as someone who is inherently interested in a) politics, b) the UK and c) the US I do try to keep as well informed as possible.  We get pretty good coverage here of world politics and happenings.  

So yes, indeed I read an article in the Times where Trump has said those things.  Unfortunately, there are several things to consider... a) we are officially unable, to the best of my knowledge, to finalise ANY deals until we are officially out of the EU - one of the reasons for leaving was that we were entirely hamstrung re what we could do re trade outside the EU. we had to abide by rules that limited outside trade, even with the Commonwealth.   b) in truth, while yes, we do still here completely value our status and the relationship as close allies to the US.. to be fair I'd say most Brits ally themselves and their thinking much closer with the US than we ever did the EU.. perhaps sharing a common language is part of that..  but the point here is.. in actual fact, we import way more than we export to the US.. so it's kinda in the interests of the US more than us.. there are, however, suggestions that a GOOD deal between the UK and the US would put the UK in a more favourable/presigious bargaining position re Brexit talks with the EU.. in common language if we know we have a good deal with the US, who we prefer, then we can say UP YOURS to the EU :P  c)respectfully, though it's hard to take seriously a man who's style is bluster and erm uneducated talk, he kinda doesn't seem like he really knows what he's doing.. and he does have an awful habit of backtracking and lying..  I cite that he had already promised us a good deal.. then he went to the EU leaders and said to them that they should take advantage of the Brits leaving the EU to STEAL trade with the US from the UK>.. soo that really didn't seem like he was someone we could trust.. ..

To be fair too we were never the least bit frightened about the OBama threat... we all laughed our heads off.. and to be honest it kinda backfired.. people thought.. hmm who does he think he is telling us what to do... and we did the opposite.. so I do wonder if Obama actually caused people to vote Brexit.. we hate being told what to do us Brits :P This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2017 9:01 AM MST
      January 21, 2017 8:59 AM MST

• Dear Stu and Thrifty.. I can see that you are both of the same opinion, so I am happy to answer you both at the same time.  Firstly, to explain why I sometimes do not answer every response I get. I do apologise but I am not always here and often when I return there are 50-60 or so notifications.. I don't have time to check more than the first 12-15 that are easily visible so yes, unfortunately I do miss things.. It would never be my intention to fail to answer anything, just life and time limitations.. You are absolutely, both of you, more than welcome to PM/chat or whatever and I would be more than happy to answer any question I miss - that goes for anyone on anything.. I think it's pretty clear from my posts here that I am not exactly the shy and retiring type.. 
    So back to the question.. I have in fact answered it before on here.. not this specific post, I agree but I've made it very clear why I am so concerned about what happens to America.. I am happy to repeat it here for you as I can tell you are very keen to hear from me. 
    OK .. firstly and foremost, I care about America.. I've many friends in the states and I take a keen interest in the affairs of the country..  I don;t believe that's illegal? or even a bad thing... The US and the UK are and have very long been close allies - that's a fact. Therefore it's wise and prudent to take an interest in what happens to your allies.  
    Secondly - Like many people around the world I take a keen interest in world affairs, and world politics.. any smart person would do the same.  It's been said that Americans don't take much interest in anything that happens outside of America and are quite insular.. I don't know if that is true but it would be fair to say that most people in the west and a fair few outside it DO keep up with world events.. So yes, it's natural to be interested in and keep well informed about world happenings. 
    Related to that also is the fact that quite apart from US being close allies, it is true that given Donald Trump's stated opinions and aims then his presidency WILL have repercussions worldwide.. many countries are quite concerned about Trumps stated aim for instance re NATO, the weakening or abandonment of NATO could pose extreme danger to many European countries, and even the US itself... Coupled with that there is Trumps stated aims re climate change.. America may or may not be insular but climate change affects the whole world..and it poses a danger to particular countries.. 
    Then there's the concern that a man who has demonstrated egotistical, megalomania, irrational loss of temper, lying etc etc AND who has shown he's really not that bright... is now in charge of the nuclear button... Personally I think the UK is safe on that but hmm given he comes across as thick as a short plank as we say, I would worry he might hit the wrong button and wipe us out!
    Moving on.. as I say, while America may or may not keep up with or be interested in news outside their own country.. most people round the world have been *treated* to seeing Trump's speeches, and what he says on twitter and in interviews...  I won't beat about the bush, pretty much the world finds your new prez an utterly vile, heinous and very stupid man.. Pretty much universally the rest of the world is astounded and many are still in disbelief that you really DID vote what most consider an incompetent imbecile in!  So the point here is.. I make no bones about it.. I DESPISE the man, on a human level I find him deplorable, I see almost no redeeming features about him.. so I dont like him.. and there are, imo, very good reasons to support my views.. Now, see  you would have to admit that my right to express my thoughts, opinions and feelings is as great as your own.. so really I am just saying.. well I comment on your prez.. cos I can.. cos I have freedom of speech... cos I want to.. and I am entitled to do that.. I don't recall seeing any direction when i signed up that said.. only US citizens are allowed to comment on US politics.. SO I can and I will comment where i feel I have something to contribute. The fact that you don't like what I say it entirely your own business, that's up to you, I don't say you have to like it.. but I CAN say what I want... and I will. 
    Lastly, and I am sure there are at least a score more reasons, but to simplify I will offer this piece of logic, which I HAVE in fact voiced before on this subject... Ok so.. this is a predominantly US based forum.. there are people from elsewhere but most people are from the States... I happen to be here cos I came from another site that closed down and this one was recommended.. SO being that I find myself, and happy to be here, on a predominantly US based site.. where predominantly the political questions, (and I've said I like politics) are US based... then those will be the ones I answer.. If you would like to have a chat with me about Teresa May and the UK politics I can promise you, both of you, that I would more than LOVE to have a chat with you about that.. please feel free.. you would see that if UK political questions were asked I would answer them.. but as they arent... you see?  
    I do hope this satisfies both of your enquiring minds.. if not please feel free to have a personal chat about it 
      January 21, 2017 7:34 AM MST

Ideas and opinions that are well-founded are strong enough to stand on their own without discussing the person providing them. The minute you find yourself talking about the "opponent" and not the topic, you've weakened your case. 

Also, this is a global Q&A/ opinion site. I don't think anyone here needs to justify why they're allowed to have an opinion. It kind of goes against everything the site is about... 
      January 21, 2017 1:01 PM MST

Fair point.
      January 21, 2017 5:03 PM MST

Nope.  I haven't watched TV in several years, and never watched any inauguration events.  Beyond the necessary swearing in of the president and vice-president, it's all just fluff.  
      January 20, 2017 3:53 PM MST

Yes I am. 
      January 20, 2017 4:23 PM MST

I always watch the swearing in and the inaugural address - it's historic no matter who's taking office, plus I love hearing "Hail to the Chief", which is perhaps John Philip Sousa's finest march.
      January 20, 2017 10:24 PM MST