Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » What's the farthest you've ever run, or walked, or cycled?

What's the farthest you've ever run, or walked, or cycled?

Posted - January 20, 2017

Responses

I never really enjoyed running.  (Since my skydiving accident, I can't run.)  But I can still do my favorite activity, hiking.  We've gone 15 miles or so, but that's up and down a mountain.  My ankle did get pretty swollen.  LOL - I was practically crawling by the end!  It was well worth it though.  :)
      January 20, 2017 4:17 PM MST

• Hard work in the mountains and, yes, very much worthwhile. 
      January 20, 2017 4:18 PM MST

When I was in junior high I did a 10 mile walkathon to raise money for some charity. I don't run. I am just not built to be a runner. (I'm bit top heavy and have never found a decent sport bra.) Biking was probably 10 miles or so. That would be a ride into town and back. I know these numbers are pitiful compared to yours.  

I would like to do more hiking but I have no one to hike with. (Hubby has arthritis in his back.) And after a fall while hiking alone put me in physical therapy for 3 months, I will only do short (under 3 miles) hikes alone. Well not totally alone, I take at least one dog.
      January 20, 2017 5:12 PM MST

• Nothing pitiful about it, Gator. We do what we do and we're all different. 
      January 20, 2017 6:07 PM MST

• Didge, I just can't remember how long some of those humps in the jungle were at times and in there so thick. At least 30 
    klicks or more with 60 pounds of crap on ya. Kids stuff then but would probably kill me now!
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 28, 2017 11:35 PM MST
      January 20, 2017 5:31 PM MST

• Tougher than sport. 

I was with a long range reconoissance unit for a while (peacetime) and we supplied communications for a comman do unit. So we had to keep up with them while carrying radio gear on top of our persona stuff, then spend their breaks cranking the generator to power the radios. But we enjoyed it, to a point. 
      January 20, 2017 6:08 PM MST

When I was in my 40s and 50s I used to run seven miles on the beach when the weather was cool enough.  I was never much of a long distance runner so this was quite an achievement for me.  Now that I'm 65 and have arthritis in my feet I couldn't ever run half a mile - Don't know, I'm afraid to try it.
      January 20, 2017 6:59 PM MST

• That's what I miss about being old. At 60 I was learning to fly a hang glider but I couldn't get up much pace to launch the thing. Now I just hobble.

We used to swim at Bondi Beach -- a topless beach -- and my most enduring memory is of a woman who used to jog laps of the beach (about 1 km each way). She wore a bikini but didn't do the straps up around her neck so after 8-10 steps the top would drop down and she'd run bare-breasted for a few strides before covering up again, when the cycle would restart. I think every man on the beach watched her run. 
      January 20, 2017 7:44 PM MST

As an active duty Marine, a 21-mile hike was my longest walking distance.
    This past weekend, I ran my most recent half marathon (13.1 miles).
    ~
      January 20, 2017 9:20 PM MST

• You'd do it hard with the Marines. You probably had a load of gear to carry. 

I remember one year I was running a half marathon and passed a friend. He wasn't going to let me get away with that and passed me back. And so it went on. I realised we were running each other into the ground and backed off bout 100 metres then timed my finishing run so that I passed him just as he was about to enter the finishing chute. I sprinted to the line listing to a distressed cry of, "You bastard!" floating over my shoulder. Loved it. :)
      January 20, 2017 11:14 PM MST

Lol!
    ~
      January 21, 2017 7:31 AM MST

In the U.S. Army I walked 25 miles with a rifle and  full pack on my back.
       I used to run about 50 miles per week and my longest run was 26 miles. Quite enjoyable when you are in shape and young, now I'm a wreck.
      January 20, 2017 10:09 PM MST

• Good effort, Tom. And, yeah, I know all about the wreck. I ran aground years ago. :(
      January 20, 2017 11:21 PM MST

Nine mile hike is the longest one-day distance.

I can't really run anymore and never really cared how far I ran back when I ran.  I would just go out and run for about 40 minutes and then go back home and shower and go to work.  That was PK (prekids).
      January 21, 2017 1:46 AM MST

• Kids make a difference. Mrs Didge was a good runner in her school days but grew away from it. Then kids came along and that took all our time. Then when she hit 40 she discovered triathlon and we all joined in.  
      January 21, 2017 12:10 PM MST

My school's annual 50-mile road walk, a round-trip on mainly-rural main roads, on the first day of the Summer Holiday; in the mid-1960s.

I entered and completed four of these in succession, including one by invitation-only and arranged and stewarded privately by a group of Sixth-Formers and supportive parents after the school was too nervous to make it official thanks to the Police expressing road-safety concerns.

No special training, no fancy foot-wear, designer walking-clothes or over-priced "energy" drinks. Let alone those bright-yellow jackets the  local infants'-school "walking buses" seem to favour these days to walk half a mile along proper pavements in urban areas. We just got on and did it. For fun.

It wasn't a race, there was nothing competitive about it; it didn't collect for charity. My average time was about 13 hours.

One year I walked with a fellow-pupil and her mother, who'd entered simply for the same reason as we all had: to see if we could! I think that was the same event one which our little group was overtaken just past the half-way point by one of the PE Teachers, jogging round the course. 
      May 24, 2017 6:04 PM MDT

10 miles to the Beach from my house.
      May 24, 2017 8:02 PM MDT