Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Politics » Trump said, "We will follow two simple rules: BUY AMERICAN and HIRE AMERICAN." Is this even possible?

Trump said, "We will follow two simple rules: BUY AMERICAN and HIRE AMERICAN." Is this even possible?

Most of my paints and art supplies come from China. There is so much that we use isn't made in the USA. Electronics come from Japan. Cell phones are made in China. Car parts come from Mexico. A lot of our fruits and vegetables come from Mexico.
Some cheeses and wines come from France, or Spain, or other European countries. There is so much that is imported! Houston is one of the busiest ports in the US. We have tons of cars from Germany.  I know there are lots of imports. Then we have people who order online. Companies ship their products here from all over. I've seen Deli stores with foods from all over the world, even the Middle East. 

Posted - January 20, 2017

Responses

It used to be possible before globalist's greed and agenda got in the way. *sigh*. All these things must pass before the coming of the Lord. May you not despair but prepare.
      January 20, 2017 10:02 PM MST

Call me when not my President Chump actually pulls this off. This post was edited by Zack at January 20, 2017 10:06 PM MST
      January 20, 2017 10:04 PM MST

No, it's not even remotely possible. He only did this to appeal to the poor folks who believe he can improve their lives. He can't, and he knows it, but that doesn't stop him. He needs the adulation. 
      January 20, 2017 10:09 PM MST

It is not going to change overnight nor completely. However we do need to stop companies from moving out of this country, and need to bring others back. There are areas of this country that are left financially devastated because the factories have closed up and moved away. So if the president can help with that, let him go for it.
      January 20, 2017 10:44 PM MST

No, not possible at all. This is the era of global economy. Commercially, nothing confirms this as much as the success of McDonald’s in every nook and corner of the world, of Coca-Cola in Bahrain and Pepsi-Cola in Moscow, and of rock music, Greek salad, Hollywood movies, Revlon cosmetics, Sony televisions, and Levi jeans everywhere, Trump is living in an utopian world if he thinks he can make it a reality!
      January 20, 2017 10:50 PM MST

• Or as a book on economics i read once commented that farmers grow cars in Iowa... it's really corn but they get swapped for cars... it is more efficient to do what you do best and cheaply ... i get the feeling is the rust belt states that don't want to change from what they know that is the problem... things change...you either adapt or go under... t rex is a good example
      January 21, 2017 7:52 AM MST

So a factory that employed 500 people and took up maybe 20 acres can be turned into a farm that is going to support the same 500 hundred people? Are you freaking serious? Farms employ less than 1% of the US population, but take up over 40% of the US land. You do see the problem with the with corn for cars, right?
      January 21, 2017 9:20 AM MST

• You have misunderstood my comments... I'm not saying turn 20 actress into a farm... I'm talking about your large.. very large farms that produce crops which are sold overseas ... you produce farm crops cheaper than the Japanese can... they produce cars cheaper than you can... you swap
      January 21, 2017 9:37 AM MST

But you still need to employ those workers that have lost their jobs. There has to be some sort if industry coming in to replace it. If you keep shipping all business out because it is cheaper, you won't have anyone with money to purchase the goods.  
      January 21, 2017 10:23 AM MST

• I agree totally with that ... But it may not be a manufacturing job at they are used to ... I think the jobs will be in service industries maybe.. it seems be a natural growth pattern as countries mature ... An no, I do realise there won't be enough of them available ... Believe me, I'm on your side, but I don't see how it's all possible to create the jobs he says he will... Unless you are willing to pay for lucky manufactured guess which will cost more ...
      January 21, 2017 6:32 PM MST

Of course it's possible.  There is not a single consumer product that cannot be manufactured here in the states, nor is there a job in manufacturing those products that American workers are incapable of doing.  Most of my life was like that.  It was part of why America was exceptional.  We provided for all of our own needs and exported our surpluses.  Jobs were plentiful with benefits for workers and often worker families. 

January 21, 2017 1:35 AM MST

• Its possible ... if you are willing to pay higher prices or use lesser quality ... the top European cars have a reputation that the American car didn't have.. whether it was deserved or not is another question... people with money want quality... similarly China can make stuff cheaper than you can... you guys decide whether it's possible or not with your buying habits
      January 21, 2017 4:00 AM MST

Hello M:

It's NOT possible, and protectionism is the WRONG policy..  What we SHOULD be doing is developing products that the world NEEDS.  That's how we've ALWAYS done it.. Renewable energy comes to mind, but right wingers don't like it, and they're running the show these days..  So, we'll crawl deeper into our own shells.. 

That's not gonna make us richer OR safer..  Hold on to your hat, Marguerite.  We're in for a bumpy ride.

excon
      January 21, 2017 8:03 AM MST