Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » The first death from flu of a California child has just been reported. Is your family protected or are you playing Russian Roulette?

The first death from flu of a California child has just been reported. Is your family protected or are you playing Russian Roulette?

This flu season seems to be more more severe than that of last year. Do you gamble with your health and the health of your family? Why?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

• Last time I got a Flu shot? I got the dang flu a week later. I probably should have gotten one this year as I'm suffering from a light case of the Flu now. Doctor may give me some Tamiflu but the results with that are about 50- 50 according to him. Just have to work it out of my system. Yeah, I guess that's a kind of Russian Roulette.
      January 21, 2017 7:05 AM MST

Feel better soon Bro!
      January 21, 2017 7:24 AM MST

• I sure hope so Sis! Thank you. 
      January 21, 2017 7:29 AM MST

Did you ever consider that the flu you got would have been much worse without the shot? Thank you for your reply Rooster and Happy Saturday! The older you get the less you can afford to play Russian Roulette! :)
      January 21, 2017 9:05 AM MST

• You're right Rosie! Stubborn old guy sometimes!
      January 21, 2017 9:15 AM MST

Naw! You're steadfast and focused and determined. Way better than stubborn Rooster! Don'tcha think?
      January 21, 2017 9:22 AM MST

• I reckon so Ma'am! 
      January 21, 2017 9:26 AM MST

I reckon so too! :)
      January 21, 2017 9:28 AM MST

For the past two years, we've gotten flu shots.  Since we're older, we thought we should start.  I have a pretty darn good immune system that kicks colds and flus quickly, but why suffer?
      January 21, 2017 7:23 AM MST

The older you get the less you can afford to gamble and play Russian Roulette. Thank you for your reply H2BH2 and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      January 21, 2017 9:06 AM MST

People die from the flu every year.
    I don't get the shot. I have not had the flu in 20yrs. 
      January 21, 2017 7:30 AM MST

May your good luck continue. The older you get the less you can afford to play Russian Roulette!  Thank you for your reply m2c! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 21, 2017 9:38 AM MST
      January 21, 2017 9:07 AM MST

• I got my flu shot, but it's still a gamble. If I'm exposed to strain that wasn't in the vaccine then I'll get the flu. I know flu shots are a hit or miss, but the funny thing is, I haven't got bronchitis since I've been getting the flu shot. I used to get it once or even twice a year. I have no idea how that works and neither does my doctor......but that is the truth. 
      January 21, 2017 9:11 AM MST

I know sweetie. Sometimes a cure for one thing positively affects another thing as a side benefit. Of course sometimes the opposite occurs too! Thank you for your reply Karen and Happy Saturday! :)
      January 21, 2017 9:21 AM MST

• I know. I'm just wired differently. I've had more than one doctor tell me they have no idea what's wrong with me. I can have more than one physical reaction to something, and they can't find the cause.  After tests, they said X should have happened, but Y is evident. Most pain medication doesn't work on me either, morphine might as well be a placebo. When my back froze up on me and I ended up in the ER, they gave me 3 or 4 shots of morphine and nothing happened, the pain was still there and I didn't even get a buzz from it. When I had neck surgery, they gave me a morphine drip after, nothing. Hydrocodone doesn't work either, neither does Tramadol. When I have had injuries and they give me a prescription for either one of those, I just throw it away and buy some extra strength aspirin.   
      January 21, 2017 9:33 AM MST

I am the same way with pain killers morphine after csection nothing. I forget what they gave me for my neck after surgery nothing. I have taken my husbands tramadol and oxycodone and nothing.
    I also have a high tolerance for pain so I don't know if that has to do with it or not. Strangely the only thing I have found to work everytime for me is 4 aspirin (I get the cheap ones from the Dollar Tree) must be 4 any less and nothing. 
      January 21, 2017 9:44 AM MST

• My pain tolerance is pretty high as well. I found out last night that I have cousins who are the same. My cousin had surgery yesterday and I was in his room when the nurse came in asking him about his pain, whatever they were giving him wasn't working. He said the above mentioned didn't help him either. His brother had gall bladder surgery last year and had the same problems with pain meds not working. I guess it runs in my family. Mepergans do work well for me, but they don't give them anymore. Tylenol 3's work somewhat, they put me to sleep though. :)
      January 21, 2017 9:52 AM MST

I think it probably has to do with natural pain tolerance. Maybe our natural body takes care of whatever the meds would. My kids seem to be very effected by meds just a little makes them get loopy. 
      January 21, 2017 11:33 AM MST

• I got my flu shot in September. I get one every year as I'm a nurse and it's required. I have noticed several flu cases this year, but looking at the CDC map of the flu, it's more widespread in states surrounding mine and in California. Don't breathe someone else's cough! ;) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 22, 2017 7:49 AM MST
      January 21, 2017 6:04 PM MST

i never get the flu and when i did my arm hurt for wks, not to mention im allergic to eggs which they put in the shot, i dont see the point in having my arm hurt for wks if im not getting the flu anyways, if i did i might change my mind
      January 22, 2017 9:46 PM MST