Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If you're elected insurance commissioner in your state, should you look out for the insurance COMPANIES, or the people who're INSURED?

If you're elected insurance commissioner in your state, should you look out for the insurance COMPANIES, or the people who're INSURED?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

• Actually? They're supposed to look out for both but that job is mainly a joke in this state. I worked with many different insurance companies at my shop and any complaints were always handled directly with the Insurance company and never went any further. That job is a waste of taxpayers money! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2017 6:06 PM MST
      January 21, 2017 8:42 AM MST

Hello R:

If I may read between the lines, in essence, you're saying that YOUR insurance commissioner works FOR the insurance companies...

excon
      January 21, 2017 8:47 AM MST

• Pretty much! Totally useless.
      January 21, 2017 8:48 AM MST

Hello again, R:

Lemme ask you this..  When the position of Insurance Commissioner was created, do you think your state envisioned an office that supported insurance companies OVER its citizens???  Is your Insurance Commissioner following the rules??  Or is he, perhaps, even breaking the law?

excon
      January 21, 2017 9:03 AM MST

• Hrd to really tell as we never hear anything from him or about him and nothing has changed in the Insurance world around here! No telling what the hell he's doing except collecting his money.
      January 21, 2017 9:09 AM MST

There should be a job description that goes along with the job, What does it say?
      January 21, 2017 9:12 AM MST

Hello M:

The point I was making, is that even though I've not read them either, I'm SURE the good citizens of his state would NOT pass a law that protected the insurance industry over that of its citizens..

excon
      January 21, 2017 9:31 AM MST

• We have here all kinds of commissioners.. and they very much work for the people.. the ones who complain.. I know this cos i've taken a fair few complaints through to the various commissioners.. including one insurance one.. it went through to the financial ombudsman.. kinda the same as a commissioner... it took a while, mainly cos the insurance co were pains but I won and the insurance co had to pay up.. ok ok so it was a pet insurance company.. but. the principle is the same. I've taken other things through to the financial ombudsman, the data commissioner etc.. they are there to be fair and to protect people from the unfair practices of companies... 
      January 21, 2017 9:20 AM MST

• As in i mean they are there to protect the rights of people against bad business practice..businesses who break the rules 
      January 21, 2017 9:25 AM MST

The main job is consumer advocate but the commissioner is also a regulator.
      January 21, 2017 3:22 PM MST

imo...both
    truth and honesty for the companies
    and that the people are getting the care they were promised

January 21, 2017 5:39 PM MST