Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What is the United States number one at?

What is the United States number one at?

America is number one!

All other countries are number two. .  . . Or below.

We kind of grow up hearing that as I suppose everybody else does about their own countries. I heard it again yesterday so many, many, MANY times, that I went looking or an answer.

We hear and say to anybody with ears that America is number one. So that's the question: according to you,

America is number one at what????

NOTE:
Im looking for things as a source of pride. Those things that we should be proud of that, as we say, make us NUMBER ONE!
Things like, education, health, innovation, sports, discovery, exploration, science, freedom, opportunity.
Are there things in which we were once NUMBER ONE and are no more?
Could it be true then, that America indeed, needs to be made Great Again. 

Or...

Is it just a myth taught to us no different than what they teach children in North Korea?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

Incarceration.
      January 21, 2017 10:51 AM MST

• That is true! I did read that. But I was sorta looking for something positive. Do you have one, B?
      January 21, 2017 11:09 AM MST

Objectively, the numbers prove we are number one in incarceration, consumption of pharmaceuticals and waging war.  The numbers also prove that we have plummeted in other areas we once topped, manufacturing for example.

Any positive response I give you would necessarily be subjective, and that means it is simply one person's opinion.  I believe I have a better than average awareness of global news and events, yet I am simply not cognizant enough of other countries/societies to claim America/Americans are "number 1" in any area that is subjectively measured.
      January 21, 2017 11:43 AM MST

• Nope, neither illegal nor legal prescription use make the U.S. number one. Mexico leads the world on illegal drugs, and with the exception of oxy, France leads in the use of pharmaceuticals per capita. 
    Food wise, if we count the calories taken, Austria eats more than we do.
    You are right about manufacturing going down, and incarceration going up. Maybe we should manufacture prisons.
    Thanks for your response Bozette. I do appreciate it
      January 21, 2017 11:58 AM MST

I never mentioned consumption of food.  The other area I said we led in was waging war.
      January 21, 2017 1:12 PM MST

• I know, im talking consumption of pharmaceuticals.
    On waging war, Hm.
    That's sort of subjective no?
      January 21, 2017 1:15 PM MST

Is it?  We have not been at war somewhere for a whopping 21 years since 1776.  Here's a timeline:

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/02/america-war-93-time-222-239-years-since-1776.html

January 21, 2017 1:24 PM MST

• When you say it like that, it puts it under a different light. I admit it sounds a little farfetched, I will look. Thanks for taking the trouble to show me.
      January 21, 2017 1:31 PM MST

It may sound farfetched, but the timeline shows each individual year.  
      January 21, 2017 2:30 PM MST

• I looked. I didn't know that. But are they, each and every one of those actual periods of full fledged war? You must understand my skepticism. It is quite a.realization. im going to look into o as many as those I can stomach.
    Great link! 
    Thank you for showing it to.me.
      January 21, 2017 4:32 PM MST

"Full-fledged war" is a matter of perspective...no?  

With the exception of a battle on the Aluetian Islands in the Alaska Territory during WW II, the last war fought on American soil was the Civil War, if memory serves.  And while WW I, WW II, and the Vietnam War were very much in the public's awareness and had very noticeable affects on many Americans, overall the majority of us haven't a clue as to what "full-fledged war" actually is.  It hasn't been in our backyards, or even on the radar of most Americans, most of the time we have been at war somewhere.  

We have been engaged somewhere in the ME since 2001, how much of that would you consider "full-fledged war"?  It might look different from the perspective of a citizen of any of several countries in the region than it does to the average American.

Tbh, I couldn't have told you squat about our invasion of Grenada in 1983, probably not even the name of the country.  It only lasted just shy of two months.  That probably wouldn't qualify as a "full-fledged war" would it?  Yet to the people in Grenada, I bet it did.  I know it did to the vet who called me contemplating suicide over his experiences there.  
      January 21, 2017 8:15 PM MST

• I understand Bozette, I think I can picture what war is. I hope you give me more credit than to think im minimizing it. I also may have a little understanding about what war means to the civilians living it, even from the.perspective of an average American. 
    But I don't take everything written as gospel. I don't even take gospel as gospel. And as convincing as your argument is, I still have to look at the usnews reportage. Do they have a motive for saying that. 
    You would certainly have to concede that just because the news said it, doesn't mean it is true.  I mean we can I hope agree that any report from Fox News or MSNBC would be highly suspicious as they both have their own agendas to meet.
    I have to also admit that im not familiar with not even half of those conflicts mentioned in the article. Did you check? Did you cross reference it with anything else? Isn't that what we should do?
      January 21, 2017 8:37 PM MST

I made no assumptions about you, Lago.  I did ask you a couple of questions.  Nor did I think you were minimizing it, in fact I was pleased you even bothered to look (many/most do not) and spoke of looking into it further. 

You very well may have some understanding of war, you may even have some experience of it, I do not know you, so could not and did not speak directly to your experience or understanding.  Personally, I have read a lot on the history of war since I was a kid and have done a lot of research into various wars in recent years, yet having neither served in the military nor lived in a war zone, I know I cannot fathom the reality of it.  

Yes, I have checked.  It was not a news article, but a blog.  But whether MSM, alternative news, blog, trusted friend or family member...I take no one's word for anything.  In fact, last year I compared both MSM and alternative news reports on a local event that I had followed as it developed and did quite a lot of research into with what I could factually verify.  Not a single one got it right.  And I agree that they all have their agendas.  
      January 21, 2017 9:32 PM MST

• Exactly, so since you, so wisely, agree with me, ), I will take a little time and go thru some of those. Im quite sure that you are right. So it is not an indictment on you or on your sources, it is more a "wow, is this right?" for me.
    About the looking into.it, I figured you went thru the trouble of posting it for me, the least I can do is read it. And for that, I sincerely thank you. It honestly did not know this.
      January 21, 2017 9:52 PM MST

• I need to retract what I said about pharmaceuticals B. Glis just showed me that the U.S. is first in prescription drug consumption. Sorry about that. You're right.
      January 21, 2017 12:47 PM MST

CLuelessness
      January 21, 2017 10:56 AM MST

• Come on, Sharonna, you can do better than that. )

January 21, 2017 11:10 AM MST

What would you suggest I say?  Should I ask you first from now on? 
      January 21, 2017 11:13 AM MST

• Would you?
    I think that would be alright!
    Be nice Sharonna.
      January 21, 2017 11:27 AM MST

Food production and distribution.(per capita)
    Stupidity
    "Policing" the rest of the world.
      January 21, 2017 11:04 AM MST

• I looked into that an looks like when you add that (per head) there, The U.S. is not even on the top ten. I am as always willing to concede if you show me figures on it.
    On stupidity, well, I don't know, that's sort of difficult to measure.
    On policing the world, hmm, I will agree. Or at least on trying to, doesn't seem like they are doing well on that lately. . .either.
    Thanks Element99, good list!!
      January 21, 2017 11:24 AM MST

Maybe you should look at my site as well.

I repeat.  CLULESSNESS.  We have people on here still saluting the flag and thinking their dreams are coming true?   If they just work hard enough and never give up, they can have anything they want.  People STILL believe America is on their side.  IT is so sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)
      January 21, 2017 11:27 AM MST

• I agree with you Sharonna. I was just having a conversation yesterday with a teacher from a rural school. She was in the middle of a fight trying to keep the Chemistry Lab funded. She failed. There's is no way that those kids have the same opportunity at college than those attending a prep school in an affluent neighborhood. And anybody who disputes that is either ignorant or disingenuous. I agree. 
    But you certainly are not saying we are number one in the world on lack of opportunity. No?
      January 21, 2017 12:04 PM MST

We are NOT.   Why do people who have lived practically enslaved lives somewhere else think America is the greatest?  Because they have nothing to compare it to.   A starving family in Mexico needs luck and connections and wit.  They need focus and they need an education.  They seldom are offered this opportunity.  Do you see Canadians trying to cross the border?  No. They are very happy in that great country of theirs. They think we are pathetic.  So, maybe Canada is a better country.  Who knows?

So, what should the USA do?  Build a wall?  Or maybe we could expand and help them?  Maybe we could become neighbors.  Maybe we could send people there that are not trying to see what they can pillage and plunder from the poor and educate them.  Show them how to incorporate and show them how to build up their country.   Poor countries are an opportunity.   If we really spent money for things that matter, we could change the world for the better and truly become the power we were meant to be. 

Instead, we just sit on our asses and listen to the lies told about how great we are.  That is called propaganda.   False advertising.  Since we are victims of scams and lies here like it is a normal occurrence we have stopped thinking for ourselves.  We voted TRUMP in.

There is no better proof of what I am saying here. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 21, 2017 12:17 PM MST
      January 21, 2017 12:16 PM MST