Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What is the United States number one at?

What is the United States number one at?

America is number one!

All other countries are number two. .  . . Or below.

We kind of grow up hearing that as I suppose everybody else does about their own countries. I heard it again yesterday so many, many, MANY times, that I went looking or an answer.

We hear and say to anybody with ears that America is number one. So that's the question: according to you,

America is number one at what????

NOTE:
Im looking for things as a source of pride. Those things that we should be proud of that, as we say, make us NUMBER ONE!
Things like, education, health, innovation, sports, discovery, exploration, science, freedom, opportunity.
Are there things in which we were once NUMBER ONE and are no more?
Could it be true then, that America indeed, needs to be made Great Again. 

Or...

Is it just a myth taught to us no different than what they teach children in North Korea?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

• Sharonna, my friend, I agree with you. Fully and wholeheartedly. It would be nice if we lived in a country where everything is equal and we didn't need measures like affirmative action, or school vouchers, or WIC, or assisted living for the elderly, or Chapter 8, or Medic Aid, or, etc, etc, etc, 
    But we don't live in a country with equal opportunities for all. So we need those programs. 
    I agree with you.
    You are right according to me. 
    But that's not really the question. :)
      January 21, 2017 12:56 PM MST

We are number one in the world at both watching television & time spent on the internet.
    Our number 1 health issue is obesity.

On the upside, I believe we are number 1 at making money.
      January 21, 2017 11:04 AM MST

We are not number one at anything any longer and making money?  Don't make me laugh.   Are pie charts really accurate?  Or do you need to read between the lines?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal) This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 21, 2017 1:11 PM MST
      January 21, 2017 11:15 AM MST

• Are pie charts accurate? That sounds like somethingTrump would say.
      January 21, 2017 11:29 AM MST

• The internet use is interesting, do you think that's maybe because we enjoy a better access than the rest of the world? Maybe? 
    In which case that would be a good thing, no?
      January 21, 2017 1:00 PM MST

Our Country has the freedom for you to do anything you want if you have the ambition to achieve it, it's up to you we are number one for opportunity, if you don't think so , blame yourself ,you have the opportunity.
      January 21, 2017 11:13 AM MST

Ignorance sure is bliss, ain't it Tom.
      January 21, 2017 11:14 AM MST

• I can see how compared to a lot of countries you may think that and be right. 
    And I will even concede that even though you view ignores the many circumstances that make the playing field unequal. I will agree that with enough determination and the right resources, anybody can become what they want in America.
    But see Tom, you are still wrong. If we look at the Prosperity and Upward Mobility index, we have Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and the Netherlands ahead of Us. 
    No?
      January 21, 2017 11:38 AM MST

Inventing stuff but then having the product manufactured in China.

Having too many greedy sociopathic CEOs of corporations. This post was edited by Kittigate at January 21, 2017 2:09 PM MST
      January 21, 2017 11:16 AM MST

Having a sociopathic CEO for President, tops it off.
      January 21, 2017 11:29 AM MST

• What do you mean inventing stuff, as in how much stuff we have invented? Or are you referring to how important is the stuff invented?

I don't know about the sociopathic CEOs. We could argue that they are all sociopathic, regardless of their country of origin.  Unfortunately,  There are no numbers for that.
    Thanks, K.
      January 21, 2017 11:45 AM MST

• Prescription drug use.
      January 21, 2017 11:28 AM MST

• Nope 
    Look it up
      January 21, 2017 12:06 PM MST

• I did.  Everything says we are number one for prescription drug use.
      January 21, 2017 12:24 PM MST

• I looked it up again. Turns out where I got my information from  on that, s almost ten years old. But everything else points to you being right. 
    Sorry about that. You are right and I was wrong. Thank you.
    Well, ok. So the U.S. is number one in prescription drug usage.
    Dubious honor, I should say.

January 21, 2017 12:42 PM MST

Number one at being clueless. The scary part is that these kinds of people seem to outnumber the rest of us that have common sense.
      January 21, 2017 12:29 PM MST

• I understand, although I wouldn't categorize all of "these kinds of people" as senseless. Most of their concerns make a lot of sense to me. I would say misguided.
    Thanks Z.
      January 21, 2017 12:45 PM MST

• Well, the US is #1 at assuming they're #1 and in some areas, they're dead right. 

But they will ALWAYS be playing catch-up with Australia. As I post this it's 3.00 Saturday afternoon in New York, but it's already tomorrow in Oz. 

January 21, 2017 1:06 PM MST

According to U.S. News and World Reports' ranking of the 10 best countries overall, the U.S. is ranked 4th behind Germany, Canada and the U.K. 

The U.S. is ranked #1 in power followed by Russia and China

The U.S. is #1 in influence, followed by the U.K., Germany and China

The U.S. leads the developed world in deaths due to firearms

http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-full-list

January 21, 2017 1:22 PM MST

• Great!
    Let's see. . .

January 21, 2017 2:16 PM MST

Number 1 in wars.

January 21, 2017 8:19 PM MST