Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The march in Chicago was cancelled. They expected 50,000 to show up. They have 150,000. Too many for cops to control. What say you Donald?

The march in Chicago was cancelled. They expected 50,000 to show up. They have 150,000. Too many for cops to control. What say you Donald?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

Well...there goes freedom of assembly. What's next Unser Fuhrer?
      January 21, 2017 11:18 AM MST

You don 't understand ele. There were too many people to march. The number of people extended beyond the marching area. When you plan for 50,000 and 3 times as many show up and you can't increase the size of the area in which they congregate to three times larger nothing can happen. They were packed in like sardines. Worldwide there were huge crowds. Over 600 marches in the US and over 60 counrties participated. I don't know if you saw the photos of the world marching in protest to support the US but it was mighty swell, mighty sweet and showed us that we DO have friends in foreign countries. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)
      January 22, 2017 2:48 AM MST

I am all for protesting peacefully and getting your point across. However, the anti-Trump contingent has repeatedly proved they are not peaceful. They see no problem destroying others property. I am sure if they were known to be a peaceful group it would have continued without a hitch. Yesterday in DC proved that is not going to happen. Destroying a store front because you don't lie the president is not only pointless, but is giving the Trump supporters an ego boost.
      January 21, 2017 11:31 AM MST

I think that saying the anti-Trump contingent is not peaceful is akin to saying that ALL Trump supporters, or even Republicans are misogynist, racist bigots. Particularly when there is a decent possibility that those who actually initiate property destruction are being paid to do so by certain elements who want to garner support for Trump and promote his followers to further hate his detractors.

Agree with you about property destruction being pointless.
      January 21, 2017 11:47 AM MST

I am not saying all anti-Trump people are like that. Orlando had a peaceful march yesterday. I am saying that there is a history backing the concerns of the Chicago PD's call to cancel.

And if you have proof that there are Trump supporters paying to cause havoc, bring it on.
      January 21, 2017 12:08 PM MST

I believe it was the organizers' decision to cancel the march portion of the protest due to the enormous turn out, not the PD's. I wonder if people will talk about them being safe and sensible, and erring on the side of caution? It doesn't sound like it. :(

I have no proof, it's complete supposition on my part. Which is why I said "decent possibility", rather than state it as a fact. (Like how Trump says that Dems pays people to protest against him, even though he has zero proof of that!)
      January 21, 2017 11:45 PM MST

I heard of no arrests anywhere. The marches were peaceful. Do you know of any SA?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday. The world joined in and it was massive. The Donald can't blame the media for it. He will probably ignore it since he is too cowardly to admit how despised he is by so many people all over the wrold. His  press guy came out and scolded the media for coverage of the inauguration. All he talked about were the numbers who showed up and the comparison shots of the Obama inauguration and The Donald. It  was obvious that many more showed up for Obama.  But The Donald and his minions create their own truth and regurgitate it and those who support him believe him. T'is a pity. We are stuck with this person for 4 years because people believed him.
      January 22, 2017 2:58 AM MST

Yeah, that first "press briefing" was pretty hilarious, wasn't it?? Nothing of substance, attacks on the press, and refusing to take even one question. He's trying hard to make his friend Putin proud, isn't he? I heard the same about the marches; perhaps women should organize all protests? :)

I sincerely doubt he'll last for 4 years. Although Pence is no peach and has his own issues, I don't think he's a psychopathic narcissist who is hell bent on being an autocrat.

Happy Sunday to you, Rosie!
      January 22, 2017 7:46 AM MST

As far as I know THERE WERE NO ARRESTS WORLDWIDE.  Not for the women's marches. Unless you saw something I didn't. Thank you for your opinion.  I don't share it. Happy Sunday to thee Gb.
      January 22, 2017 2:53 AM MST

I have not heard of any arrests either. I only heard how well organized and peaceful the march was.
      January 22, 2017 9:38 AM MST

They are gathering anyway.  Watching the pictures on TV.  Huge numbers in all the major cities, and not just in the US.  These protests are completely peaceful and organized.  THAT is what a democracy is about.
      January 21, 2017 11:50 AM MST

It was and is very heartwarming. The entire world showed up to support  us. Let The Donald spin that! Thank you for your reply Pea Pod and Happy Sunday! :)
      January 22, 2017 3:12 AM MST

Happy Sunday Rosie.  I was so pleased to hear that there were no arrests and no one turning violent.  

This is what democracy allows; people to assemble to be heard.  
      January 22, 2017 10:29 AM MST

A person like Trump wants attention, no matter what kind. He is probably watching the protests and smiling ear to ear.
      January 21, 2017 11:52 AM MST

...and tweeting like mad too!  
      January 21, 2017 11:54 AM MST

He needs to be loved! You have observed his TWITTER BASHING when anyone criticizes him! He can't stand it. However this time the whole world showed up to show their contempt and dislike for him. He will have a very hard time spinning that and blaming the media. I think he is very miserable right now. It is eating away at him. The crowds who showed up to reject him were huge. Worldwide. His pathetically inept press secretary Sean Spicer came out to once again scold the media for the photos of the differences in the size of the inaugural crowds between the Obama inauguration and The Donald. The Donald cannot endure being second-class, second-best, second-rate  so he fights back at whatever comes at him. It will be interesting to see if he has the courage to address what happened worldwide January 21 TRUTHFULLY or if he will simply ignore it. Thank you for your reply. Obviously I disagree with thee. Happy Sunday JS! :)
      January 22, 2017 3:18 AM MST

So the Democrat Government in Chicago cancelled a protest because to many people showed up? And people are happy about that? Where is the outrage that the government cancelled a protest? Why is it okay for Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) to cancel those US citizens 1st amendment rights? How disgusting display of an abuse of power.
      January 21, 2017 11:59 AM MST

• I am not sure of the laws there m2c but here we have the same right to demonstrate but if the crowd is too large that it cannot be policed properly, as it says in the original poster's question - then they have the right to prevent the march/demonstration.  I am not saying it's right but I imagine that this was cancelled for those same reasons.  I very much doubt it has anything to do with democrat or republican semantics.. Indeed, logically  one would think that a Democrat government would be happy for the protest to go ahead.
      January 21, 2017 2:14 PM MST

That is a direct attack on the 1st Amendment. I disagree with the protesters but they have every right to protest as long as it is a peaceful protest.
      January 21, 2017 4:11 PM MST

• I'm with you on that point but I suppose they have to think of safety? They'd be heavily criticised if anyone got hurt..even if they got trampled or crushed with a crowd that big
      January 21, 2017 4:13 PM MST

If they are peaceful then no one gets hurt. If they are peaceful the police are not needed.
      January 21, 2017 6:47 PM MST

Not true. A crowd that large involves streets being closed and traffic rerouted. That involves a lot of police. They have their right to protest, but others have their right to go on about their lives. Even if they are peaceful, they still need police to prevent chaos.  
      January 21, 2017 9:01 PM MST

• Sadly I think, nay firmly believe, that Trump lives in a world of his own in his head.. I say that advisedly, based on things I have heard him say and things he has done..  so I don't suppose he even understands how very much he is despised all round the world let alone by most of the country. 
      January 21, 2017 2:16 PM MST

I heard him today rambling about the media coverage of him yesterday and remarking how good he thought his own speech was.  I know the man doesn't drink, but he rambles like a guy that does.  I just don't think he's normal in the head.  Scary!
      January 21, 2017 2:30 PM MST