Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » Whenever I hear this certain godawful song . . .

Whenever I hear this certain godawful song . . .

. . . all I can hear in my mind is Fastball's excellent song "Out of my Head" on which it's based.

Here is the Fastball song ~ "Out of my Head"

I'll post the horrible-to-me song in a separate answer.

Do you get irritated when a song you really like gets re-done in a bad way?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

A Way-Worse-Version(in my opinion)-of-a-Great-Song, referred to in my question. I can't stand the way the female sings.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 21, 2017 8:10 PM MST
      January 21, 2017 5:55 PM MST

• At first I thought you meant the Fastball song.  I like that song and band and thought " WTh, really?"

This, whatever this is, just pisses me off.  Your words don't even begin to encompass how awful whatever that was, is.
      February 19, 2017 7:49 PM MST

Thanks, Glis. Yeah, you're right --  I set up my question not-so-well. I should have put the godawful song in the question and gave Fastball a separate answer slot. (I don't think I know how to put two songs in one question yet. )

Oh, my, I'm with you -- did this chick deliberately try to make the worst song out of a great song? Did she think "I'll sing incredibly badly -- and add some guy doing some pathetic rap."

Fastball is playing right now in my place. I, too, really like Fastball.

:)

Thanks for replying!
      February 19, 2017 7:56 PM MST

Sorry Dixie Chicks.  Stevie Nicks is soooooo much better.

(: Let's see if the video posts from my iPad.  If not, I'll keep trying.  :) This post was edited by Happy2BeHere2 at February 19, 2017 7:54 PM MST
      January 21, 2017 8:15 PM MST

Thanks for answering, Happy2BeHere2!
    I didn't even know the Dixie Chicks did a cover of that song. I've never heard their version and I think I might pass on their version.
    Ha!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 22, 2017 10:01 AM MST
      January 22, 2017 9:03 AM MST

You can call me Happy. It's sooo much easier to type and say. Thanks for the fun question!
      January 22, 2017 7:30 PM MST

Hey, Happy, that's nice of you to share that you found my question fun! You're welcome!

I second-guess myself and my words almost every time I post anything on this site, especially questions/discussions topics.
      January 22, 2017 7:44 PM MST

I just poke at the screen, then gasp at all my typos.
      January 22, 2017 7:47 PM MST

• The Fugees version of Killing me softly is just plain awful.

January 21, 2017 9:10 PM MST

No.  It isn't.  The Fugees were awesome.  I liked them both.  Roberta and what's her name? Lauren something?  Oh here it is.... Lauryn Hill.

I loved her.  Wycliff Jean?  One of the most innovative artists to me.

But I can see why you like Roberta, she's wonderful.

Fugees /ˈfuːdʒiːz/ (sometimes The Fugees; formerly Tranzlator Crew) were an American hip hop group who rose to fame in the mid-1990s. Their repertoire included elements of hip hop, soul and Caribbean music, particularly reggae. The members of the group were rapper/singer/producer Wyclef Jean, rapper/singer/producer Lauryn Hill, and rapper/producer Pras Michel. Deriving their name from the term refugee, Jean and Michel are Haitian, while Hill is American.

The group recorded two albums—one of which, The Score (1996), was a multi-Platinum and Grammy-winning success and contains their hit single "Killing Me Softly"—before disbanding in 1997. Hill and Jean each went on to successful solo recording careers; Michel focused on soundtrack recordings and acting, though he found commercial success with his song "Ghetto Supastar". In 2007, MTV ranked them the 9th greatest Hip-hop group of all time.[1] This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 19, 2017 7:54 PM MST
      January 21, 2017 9:15 PM MST

• Exactly Lauren something is right. 

You gotta be kidding me. That poing poing poing pong at the :30 Mark is just horrible. And from then on their attempt at making the song hip hopy only makes it sound amateurish. Horrible. 
      January 21, 2017 9:23 PM MST

• I don't dispute their talent Sharonna or their influence. But that one song, it . . Just. .. blows...  )
      January 21, 2017 9:25 PM MST

Hi, Sharonna!
    Wow - - I simply haven't paid that much attention to the Fugees. I didn't even know Lauryn Hill was the female vocalist. But I've always sort of liked them in the background of my experiences. 
    Flack's version of the song hit me really hard when I heard it and it never let go --  no other artist has probably a chance to impact me the way Flack did with the song.

I'm certainly not so diplomatic with my words about Camila Cabello and Machine Gun Kelly's "Bad Things," ha! (The song that inspired my question.)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 22, 2017 2:19 PM MST
      January 22, 2017 8:57 AM MST

Thanks, Lago.
    Flack's "Killing Me Softly" impacted me immensely at the time I heard it. I had rarely, if ever, heard such a song that took me in and enveloped me in such a way that Flack invited me in. It'd be hard for any artist to ever do any better with the song for me. And I like the song a lot, too.
    I'm not terribly fond of the Fugees' version, either, though I sort of like the group.
    The song is Flack's to me.

UPDATE: I'm not nearly so diplomatic with my words about Camila Carbello and Machine Gun Kelly's "Bad Things," ha! That's the song that inspired my question.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 22, 2017 2:19 PM MST
      January 22, 2017 8:52 AM MST

• Yes, that one is pretty awful too!
      January 22, 2017 11:52 AM MST

I had the same reaction when I first heard it.  I loved Roberta Flack's version.

I confess to warming up to it over the years, but Roberta's will always be the very best.
      January 22, 2017 12:20 PM MST

For me, it was Michael Bolton ruining classic songs.  Uuugh.  I am so happy that I never hear this anymore.

January 22, 2017 12:19 PM MST

• Haha, well we're talking about Michael Bolton here. 
    I mean he's pretty awful regardless of what he sings, but that's just my personal taste you know. A lot of people like him. Go figure.
    I can never think about him without thinking about Fabio, for some reason. ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 2, 2017 7:30 PM MDT
      January 22, 2017 12:26 PM MST

I missed that.  I will have to read all that is here.  I never could stand him.  He had an ego too that just used to rub me the wrong way.  

I used to think his voice sounded like a bull in heat or something.  Horrible!

January 22, 2017 12:32 PM MST

I've never liked Bolton's voice, either.
    Thanks for answering, PeaPod!

January 22, 2017 7:18 PM MST

• Bonnie Tyler - "It's A Heartache" ... which I like

Juice Newton - "It's A Heartache" ... which I don't like ...

January 22, 2017 11:06 PM MST

• Bonnie's reached #2 ...  Juice's reached #23
      January 22, 2017 11:09 PM MST

I don't think I ever got an alert about your answer, ALF. Sorry!
    I like Juice Newton and Bonnie Tyler both, in general. But the first opening moments of Juice's version - - I didn't like the song for her voice style. I like Juice's style but not for this song maybe.
      February 19, 2017 7:34 PM MST

• No problem.
      February 19, 2017 7:43 PM MST