Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Music » Whenever I hear this certain godawful song . . .

Whenever I hear this certain godawful song . . .

. . . all I can hear in my mind is Fastball's excellent song "Out of my Head" on which it's based.

Here is the Fastball song ~ "Out of my Head"

I'll post the horrible-to-me song in a separate answer.

Do you get irritated when a song you really like gets re-done in a bad way?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

Thanks, ALF.
    :)
      February 19, 2017 7:48 PM MST

• I feel the exact opposite. lol 
      February 19, 2017 7:55 PM MST

Ha!
    I do like both Tyler and Newton! 
    But I'm partial to Newton in more songs, just not this one for some reason.
      February 19, 2017 8:03 PM MST

• Really!? Then you don't get to vote! Ah well ... come on back. Granted ... Juice has a better voice, but this was not the platform for it. lol This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 19, 2017 9:04 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 8:47 PM MST

• I can follow.  Bonnie just always sounded so corny and cheesy to me.  Except Total Eclipse of the Heart but I like that song for the wrong reasons.  It's funny to me.
      February 19, 2017 8:53 PM MST

• She wasn't really a hit until she damaged her vocal chords ...... a female Rod Stewart?
      February 19, 2017 9:01 PM MST

• Lol Kinda.   Not a fan of hers really but she is way better than he is.  I can't fathom how anyone can listen to Rod Stewart.
      February 19, 2017 9:06 PM MST

I've never liked Rod Stewart's singing voice, either.
      August 2, 2017 7:31 PM MDT

And I will answer my own question.

Today I heard it again ~ Some guy named Jimmy Cliff decided to sing his own version of Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now."

I refuse to post Cliff's version -- it's a Complete Zero in my mind compared to songwriter Nash's original. I'll post Nash's version.

Rarely have I heard such a CLEAR  -- crystal CLEAR  - - singing voice as Johnny Nash. Nash has the chops!!

And, besides, he was my very first celebrity crush.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 19, 2017 8:15 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 7:39 PM MST

• Lol.  I like Jimmy Cliff.  Maybe you will like him better when he isn't stepping on something you hold dear.

The movie is pretty good too.
      February 19, 2017 7:53 PM MST

Yeah, again I was unclear - - I was being rather sarcastic in my answer there, saying "Some guy named Jimmy Cliff". I was unfair to Cliff.
    Yeah, I respect him a lot. But you nailed it, Glis - - he just stepped on a song and artist I hold very dear.
    Forgive me Jimmy Cliff - -  and Glis!
      February 19, 2017 8:00 PM MST

• I totally got were you were coming from.
    No worries, I understand hyperbole to make a point.
      February 19, 2017 8:01 PM MST

Cool.
    Thanks, Glis.
      February 19, 2017 8:06 PM MST

• The Nash version of the song has a bigger band sound and Nash definitely has a clearer sounding voice. Checking into it though, it appears that Jimmy Cliff recorded his cover, of the song, for the Disney movie "Cool Runnings." They both were released in 1993 and his cover was used in the movie. His accent isn't American and the background music wasn't as elaborate which I figure is what Disney was aiming for.

I like the movie and that makes Jimmy Cliff my sentimental favorite, but there's no arguing yours sounds .......... different? better? more American? :)
      February 19, 2017 8:39 PM MST

I immersed myself in Nash's entire "I Can See Clearly Now" album in my early teens and it's become a part of me. And, like I said, I had a crush on him. That can stick with a guy.
    And, in general, the first time I hear a song -- whether it's a cover or not - -  and I like it, I then tend to best like that version I heard first. (Grand Funk Railroad's "The Locomotion" is one - - I like that cover the best of that song and it's the version I heard first.)

I've never seen "Cool Runnings." Perhaps I'd soften my reaction to Cliff's version if I saw the movie. And there's no doubt Cliff is a huge talent. His version of the song is not bad, even though I said it was. Ah, well.
    It's just that Nash is the Ultimate for the song for me. Nash wrote the song.
    And like I said in the comments to Glis, I'm unfair to Cliff.
    No one is going to outshine Johnny Nash for me -- for this song, or any other song possibly. Nash is my man.
    I admit I am not so rational in my approach to it all.

You make a good point (and are more rational in your approach to your thoughts) - - Cliff or Nash? The versions are different, yes. Better? That would probably be in the "eye of the beholder's ear."
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 19, 2017 9:03 PM MST
      February 19, 2017 8:53 PM MST

• I understand how you feel and I'm not trying to call either one better. Disney wouldn't have picked Luciano Pavarotti to sing it either. :)
      February 19, 2017 9:11 PM MST

• I always hated his lyrical take on this song.  It would have fine as an instrumental.

February 19, 2017 8:05 PM MST

I'm completely inconsistent in my music tastes. I certainly see and hear your point about Manson's version here. But I like the song so well, that, unlike Nash's/Cliff's "I Can See," this time I rather like this cover. I'd think I'd not like Manson's version because I like the original so well. Yet, there is nothing like the Eurhythmics' original.

Thanks for answering, Glis. This all fascinates me, listening to others' thoughts about this question. And hearing the songs.
      February 19, 2017 8:12 PM MST