Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Games » The AnswerMug Challenge Series: They Say It At Work Edition: what are some cliche phrases that associate with particular jobs/professions? ~

The AnswerMug Challenge Series: They Say It At Work Edition: what are some cliche phrases that associate with particular jobs/professions? ~

Please state not only the phrase, but also the job/profession.  Examples:

"Move along, folks, nothing to see here, go on about your business!" Police officer.

"Paper or plastic?" Grocery store cashier/bagger.

"This little baby gets great gas mileage in both the city and on the highway!" Used car salesperson.

"You don't mind staying late or working weekends, do you?" Job interviewer.

"Would you like fries with that?" Fast-food worker.

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

"Places"

~ a stage manager for various types of entertainment/stage shows

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    :)
      January 21, 2017 6:32 PM MST

"Geez.  Don't make a federal case out of it!"  US Government employees say that a lot.
      January 21, 2017 7:06 PM MST

• 1-2-3-4
    Drummer
      January 21, 2017 7:30 PM MST

• Oneh... oneh ...
    Roadie setting up sound equipment lol

Please place your seat in the upright position and stow all meal trays  ...
    you figure it out :)
      January 21, 2017 7:46 PM MST

Do a drop switch. 
    In railroading your train has one or more cars to be set over into a spur track but the spur is laid out so the cars cannot be backed into so you have to do a drop switch. The engine yanks the car(s) along at enough speed so the car (s) can enter the spur track then a brake man pulls the pin to separate the car (s) from the engine then the engine throttles ahead to give enough space and time for the other brakeman at the switch to line the car (s) into the spur track then he has to hop aboard the car to apply a handbrake if necessary so car (s)do not roll out the end of the spur.
    A drop switch is actually in violation of safety rules but how else ya gonna do it?
      January 21, 2017 7:51 PM MST

POTS only.
    Buried or aerial?
    Pair or carrier?
    I need a locate.
    Dammit; we've got a 2400 pair cut!  Start waking folks up.

January 21, 2017 9:09 PM MST

?????????????
      January 21, 2017 9:10 PM MST

You thought law was all I knew. I retired from AT&T (It was BellSouth when I retired)  very young to open a law practice,  but I did work in the legal/regulatory world out of the president's office prior to that. I ventured many times to the wire maintenance center (the repair center) to expedite repairs and often got involved in outages that included government, airports, large business,  or hospital services. I listed a few of the regular things I would hear down in the WMC. It was fun and crazy and the best people one could ever hope to spend their days with. Many good memories.  :) This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 22, 2017 8:41 AM MST
      January 21, 2017 9:41 PM MST

• This will hurt me more than it hurts you. -- Parent

This won't hurt a bit. -- Dentist.

Poke out your tongue and say, "Aaah." -- Doctor. 

Drop your pants and assume the position. -- Proctologist.

Advantage, Federer. -- Tennis umpire.

Vee vere only followink orders. -- Concentration camp guard. 

Vee haff our vays to make you talk. -- Gestapo interrogator. 

Oh, shit! -- Airline pilots last message to black box flight recorder.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 21, 2017 10:07 PM MST
      January 21, 2017 9:12 PM MST

Waitresses always say HON.

Nurses always say "we", as in "how are we feeling?"

I got nothin.   I am not a fun person.

January 21, 2017 9:13 PM MST

Quite to the contrary; you've done quite well, my child.  Now go and sin no more.
    ~
      January 21, 2017 9:21 PM MST

How's school coming along?
      January 21, 2017 9:38 PM MST

Hey Thrift!   I'm almost done with the program.   I am wanting very much to do the Master Bodyworker's program so I am looking into that one next.  It is only 10 more weeks and it will get me a better paying job, I am sure. 

School is fantastic though.  The best thing I did, thanks for asking. 

I do 5 massages on Saturdays for the public and it counts towards my credits, so it really helps to get feedback like that from real people who don't know me from Adam.  They will tell me what the real world and massage is like better than anything else.

I cannot believe how much they taught me and how much more there is to learn.   Hope all is well with you too.
      January 21, 2017 10:05 PM MST

Oh good..........I'm so pleased that you are finishing up what you started.  That's a great feeling whether you go further or not.  Be proud of yourself.   I'm rooting for ya!   :)
      January 21, 2017 10:09 PM MST

• Wake up, it's time to take your sleeping pill----Nurse
    You'll feel just a small prick---Phlebotomist
    You a cop?---Prostitute

January 21, 2017 9:18 PM MST

• Karen, full marks. Those are clever.
      January 21, 2017 9:21 PM MST

• Thank you. I'm in a bit of a mood this evening. :)
    It's a good goofy mood. 
      January 21, 2017 9:22 PM MST

(With the far ends of the that spectrum she's covered, this woman is amazing!)
    ~
      January 21, 2017 9:22 PM MST

• Thankee Sai. *taps throat three times*
      January 21, 2017 9:23 PM MST

• That was actually supposed to be chest instead of throat. You tap your chest when addressing a man and your throat for addressing a woman. Sorry, I forgot the face of my father for a moment. 
      January 21, 2017 9:39 PM MST

• Indeed! 
      January 21, 2017 9:24 PM MST