Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Jobs » How can i make this job work?

How can i make this job work?

I've been out of work a lot after i left a resort over my two hip implants, later i had a knee surgery. couldnt seem to find work , now someone is really interested in hiring me to do those jobs where you hand out food samples in stores. I've been doing a lot of paperwork and also took a food handling course online and passed it. the people ive talked to seem really nice, i just went to the library today and scanned a whole bunch of stuff they wanted me to send, theyre doing a background check and i gotta do a drug test. dont care since ive never been in trouble or done drugs. the whole thing sounds great and im in school too so i'd be able to work around my schedule, the problem is i have a bad knee from surgery, i cant stand around for hrs. i did mention that to the recruiter and they still hired me. right now im just doing stuff like paperwork. the thing is i cant stand around for hrs like that on a bad knee. I do have a doctors note saying that. so do i just take the job and bring in the note or what, will i get accomodated? i really need this job and would love to do it, i think it would be fun to see everyone in the neighborhood when they go to the store. so will i be allowed to sit on a stool and do it? Im tired of living without income and wondered how to make this work since theyre so interested? any suggestions?

Posted - January 21, 2017

Responses

I supposed you could show up the first day and ask where your stool is.  You advised them during the hiring process that you cannot stand for your shift.  I have seen those women at Sams Club and Costco sitting on stools so I can't imagine they would not accommodate you with a stool. 

If this is too scary (which I know it would take some courage) mention it to whoever you are talking to.  OR better yet, scan the doctor note and send it to her with a note about needing the stool. 

If it was me I think I would show up on day one and ask for a stool.   But, I might get let too so I don't want to push you in that direction.

Pearl, you are honest and sweet, do what your conscience tells you to do. 

Good luck.
      January 21, 2017 10:37 PM MST

Maybe they need a "handicapped" person to fill in a void such as they also need to hire a certain number of minorities?
      January 22, 2017 12:53 AM MST

thats a good point, didnt think of that
      January 22, 2017 8:17 AM MST

Affirmative Action is gone, you know.
      January 22, 2017 11:44 AM MST

• The stool is an excellent idea.
    If they don't provide one, you could find one in a second hand shop.
    Putting swivel rollers on the bottoms of the legs, two with flip breaks, might make it even more versatile.
    Give the job a try.
    If you don't try, you'll never know if it was possible.
    If you do, you find out.

Sometimes the first try is not the right one, but the effort helps prepare the way for something better.
    Sometimes all one needs is a chance to make things better and everything can improve from there.

January 22, 2017 12:57 AM MST

Pearl, I think you asked this same basic question before and you were already given suggestions.  

You don't have to stress out. You said you already mentioned your bad knee to the recruiter, so they're aware of your special requirements. Personally, I wouldn't have mentioned it to any prospective employer, because legally you're not required to. 

If you show up on your first day of work and there's no stool provided, I'd mention it to your supervisor. Just bring a copy of your doctor's note, in case they request it 

Other than that, just do your job, show up on time and have a positive attitude. It's natural to be nervous, because you haven't worked in a while. But just relax, take a deep breath and you'll be fine. 

January 22, 2017 1:10 AM MST

This is an interesting one because I think you are a contractor, not an employee. (Most of these jobs are structured that way.) I'm not a lawyer, but the laws are different for contractors and, from what I can tell, the same laws about disabilities do not apply to independent contractors. Here's an example of a court ruling that said as much: https://bradleyriley.com/independent-contractors-protected-ada-adea-fmla/ 

With that said, all you really need is a stool, as the others have pointed out. There's no reason why they shouldn't be ok with that, but if you are a contractor, not an employee, you may need to provide it for yourself. They are not required to do anything to accommodate you, whether it's letting you sit or giving you a stool, if you are a contactor. 
      January 22, 2017 2:09 AM MST

i dont mind if i have to get my own stool, im not broke yet, i just want something i can leave there so i dont have to drag it around
      January 22, 2017 8:22 AM MST

When I have had similar jobs, I was more or less a "guest" in the store. There was a protocol to follow, which involved checking in with the manager on duty, asking for permission to access the stockroom, and so on. Anything that I needed to do my job had to be brought with me. Because I wasn't employed by the store, I didn't have employee privileges, such as entering a break room or storage closet, or anything. I really think this job is going to be like that for you.

I think, if your hours are significant enough that you'll need to sit, and you can't bring a chair with you each time, you'll probably need to communicate with the store's manager and request permission to leave a chair there, but you'll also want to make sure it's clearly labeled as being your personal, private property, and maybe even put a phone number on the underside of it. That way, it's less likely to be taken and used by employees when you're not there. I don't see this being a big deal, but communicating and establishing expectations from the start will be important.
      January 22, 2017 1:09 PM MST

all of this might be worth it just to have a job
      January 22, 2017 3:39 PM MST

I agree. :) I just wanted to share my own experiences in case they can help you prepare more. 
      January 23, 2017 8:23 PM MST

• I really hope this one works out for you.. I have seen from a few posts of yours that you really have struggled and tried so hard to get work... 

I do worry that this is again one that might go wrong.. I really don't want to be a downer.. but better to bear in mind and be prepared...

My worry is that you have, again, done a lot of work before you start and before you have even got paid... You will have spent time and money - I just hope you do get that back?  Re the online food handling course.. did they pay for that or did you?  I hope they did!  It just reminded me of the time my son was going to go as a supply teaching assistant... he had to pay for the DBS or security check... and  there was no real backing and he was just thrown in the deep end - it didn't work out and he never got paid :(  

From what you say, it would be a whole lot easier than what my son faced, it shouldn't be too hard to hand out food :) but it still has me worried... will there be regular work? are the hours you have to work paid well enough for the amount of time you will have to spend?  When and how do they pay you, what's it based on? Is it just based on your hours or is it a commission thing.. you have to get people to buy the product?  

Re the stool - I can't see why you cannot have a stool to sit on, at least in between *customers* - I can't see why they would object.  

I really hope this works out for you... please do post updates and if I am still here I'd be so happy for you :)
      January 22, 2017 3:25 AM MST

i paid for the online course but it was only $15, and i paid to mail out stuff thru the post office too. but it wasnt hundreds of dollars, yesterday i went to the library and scanned a bunch of stuff they wanted, that didnt cost anything, just my time
      January 22, 2017 8:21 AM MST

• Fingers and toes crossed for you here 
      January 22, 2017 11:11 AM MST