Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Have you ever been on a road that became a gravel road then a dirt road then it ended?

Have you ever been on a road that became a gravel road then a dirt road then it ended?

Posted - January 23, 2017

Responses

I live way out in the boonies.  There are lots of them around me.  The one that struck me was on our fall vacation to the mountains.  The road ended at a beautiful mountain view!
    We ended up camping there.  What a sight to wake up to! This post was edited by Happy2BeHere2 at June 1, 2020 10:29 AM MDT
      January 23, 2017 3:09 PM MST

I ran across one in Canada.  It sure looked like it went somewhere...a big surprise when it ended.
      January 23, 2017 3:35 PM MST

Oh yeah.  Especially when it's too thin to turn around.  
      January 23, 2017 3:42 PM MST

Where is this?
      January 23, 2017 7:45 PM MST

I'm really sorry to be so late to reply.  I have commonly occuring glitch on this site, where the "Post Reply" shows, but there's no dialogue box in which to type.  I went round and round on this site last night, and was unable to post.  I didn't mean to ignore your question.  I gave up before taking a hammer to my iPad.  

This is a boondocking campsite near the Grandview Campground in Roosevelt National Forest (the area near Fort Collins, CO.)  The view looks south into Rocky Mountain National Park.  Both parks are fantastic.  All fitness levels can find fun things to see and do.  We love it!  
    Oh yeah, the elevation is 10,000 ft.  If you're a "flatlander" like me, you may wish to acclimate for a day or so before spending the night so high.  Altitude sickness is common up there.

FYI:  If anyone else has this glitch - I figured out that if your frustration level rises high enough, and you start pounding on the boxless Post Reply while screaming "I'D LOVE TO POST IF YOU'D LET ME!!!" Eventually the site will yell back.  It will produce a dialogue box and tell you you were a very bad Mugger for not putting anything into the nonexistent box.  Then you can type in the new box of shame at the top of the page.  Ya gotta yell though, or it won't yell back!  LOLOL

January 24, 2017 8:18 AM MST

It looks beautiful and I have spent time in Colorado.  In fact, I had (what we call) mountain sickness and thought I would die before morning.  I couldn't breath and couldn't even reach over to try to wake my husband.  They had to take me off the mountain; we were at 11,400 ft.  Other than that , we had a great trip.  :)
      January 24, 2017 9:51 PM MST

Wow.  Scary!  I carry oxygen in a little can, just in case.  I'm glad you're okay.
      January 25, 2017 6:02 AM MST

Hi Happy2~  I'm am laughing so hard over here, you can probably hear me all the way over there!!! Thank you for the FYI about how to fix that glitch.  I could imagine it would be extremely frustrating and am surprised you didn't throw your ipad in the ditch!!  You may want to consider posting your newly found knowledge on the DIY group.  LOL! 
    I've never been that specific campground, but the Roosevelt National Forest is an amazing place to see. Yippppeeee!
      January 31, 2017 11:02 AM MST

Yep.  My Ma lives  near the end of what is essentially a fire trail in the forest.  The county doesn't plow it and to get mail delivery, her box is on the road leading to the trail, which is about a half mile out.  
      January 23, 2017 3:36 PM MST

Yes used to be my driveway.
      January 23, 2017 3:52 PM MST

Yes Morningstar.  

I live on one.  I am two miles in and about an 1/8th of a mile further,  the road dead ends.

On the positive side: it's very beautiful & peaceful.
    On the negative side: If a psycho killer finds his way into my home, it might be a while before someone finds my body.

January 23, 2017 3:53 PM MST

Lol. I know what you mean. When I lived out in the country my driveway was that way. I actually had to call the police once and they called me back while on my driveway to make sure they were going the right direction. Glad it was not an emergency. (Another reason why people should have the right to a gun)
      January 23, 2017 4:53 PM MST

OMG  :  (
      January 23, 2017 6:30 PM MST

The road I currently live on was paved up to the point just past my driveway and then turned to gravel/dirt when I first moved here. It did not dead-end though. It transitioned back to paved near where it joined a larger thoroughfare. A surprising number of secondary roads in my county are gravel/dirt (one of the wealthiest counties in the nation, just outside of DC, by the way.) The neighbors used to joke about the "screen door ahead" caution sign at the point that the pavement ended. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at June 1, 2020 10:30 AM MDT
      January 23, 2017 5:00 PM MST

Two came to mind immediately.  One is a road in Washington state that goes from being paved to being sort of paved and rocky/sandy, then it is sandy and you are sitting on the beach of the Pacific.  Just like that!

The other is the road to the vacation house that belonged to the family of my best friend growing up.........paved, gravel, dirt with rocks mixed in, dirt, and there's the fence...................the other side of which is a private paved road. 
      January 23, 2017 6:16 PM MST

yes
    SURPRIZE 
      January 23, 2017 7:36 PM MST

That describes Second Street in Phoenix when I moved there in 1969. The road to Scottsdale was gravel then.
      January 23, 2017 9:01 PM MST

• Hell yeah,  that's a clear sign you're going in the right direction and headed to the good places.
      January 24, 2017 12:28 AM MST

And now that I think about it I can remember on several ocassions traveling on some gravel/dirt roads in pursuit of AM field strength readings way back when and having the road end at a rather wide stream (that looked to be fairly deep) and pick up on the opposite stream bank. Checking the old 7-1/2 minute quadrangle revealed the word "Ford" instead of showing a bridge. One or two I crossed but a couple looked to be deep enough to completely cover the old S15 Jimmy that I was using at the time. 
      January 24, 2017 12:54 AM MST

Yes. With all the different places I’ve been to in the world and with all the different activities in which I have engaged, that’s happened on more than one occasion. 

~

June 1, 2020 10:32 AM MDT