Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What was the point of the worldwide Women's Marches?

What was the point of the worldwide Women's Marches?

I'm a female myself but what was the point to the marches? Compared to Muslim women, those in countries like the US or UK have it far better. 

Posted - January 23, 2017

Responses

• Just a matter of giving Trump the bird. Of course, women in Muslim countries have it worse; but women in a Trump world would be treated as things, not people. 
      January 23, 2017 7:45 PM MST

We say that a lot, and all agree. But so you know how many years ago it was when British women gained the legal right to inherit and own land. Or how many years ago it was when western men lost the legal right to beat(discipline) their wife with a stick.
      January 23, 2017 10:47 PM MST

• I've seen enormous changes in my own lifetime. Back in the 40s and 50s -- and even into the 60s -- women were treated shabbily. If I remember correctly, in Oz, it's was the husband's signature that counted more than the wife's. And it was the husband who could get a housing loan and accept the responsibility for meeting the obligation. As late as the 50s brides were still promising to "love, honour and obey". (It was no less than C.S.Lewis who, in the 1945 wrote, "Marriages fail, not through lack of love but lack of obedience.")

We've come a long way since the revolution started in the 1970s but women didn't have it easy and, thanks to opposition from those of us who still want to cling to our superiority, they still have some distance to go. 

But while Trump has made himself an easy target he's not the only misogynist in a position of authority as the proposal (last week) to decriminalise domestic violence in Russia suggests.
      January 23, 2017 11:03 PM MST

I don't see any point in it either. It's not like people marching in downtown Lisbon, or Paris, or Madrid is going to have any effect of getting the American President out of office, is it? They'd be quite deluded if they think it would. But it is good good exercise for the body, however. That's one good thing about it.  
      January 23, 2017 8:14 PM MST

These are some of the signs

January 23, 2017 8:17 PM MST

They could atleast clean up when they're done..
      January 23, 2017 10:54 PM MST

Some were marching because they don't want the ACA repealed. Some were marching because they want to keep abortion legal. Some were marching because they think we need new laws to get equal pay. Some were marching because they don't want planned parenthood defunded. Some we marching just to swear at Trump. (I suspect a good portion were there just for the last one.)
      January 23, 2017 8:41 PM MST

It is somewhat unusual for women to demonstrate with their clothes on. I suspect the "pink pussy" hat was just because the weather is cold.
      January 23, 2017 8:52 PM MST

Hmm. I rather think such 'nude' marches are rare indeed. What can mislead is that when such a nude march happen the media will instantly report it (with pictures), That is not the case when the marchers are normally dressed ;-))
      January 23, 2017 11:02 PM MST

•   January 23, 2017 9:16 PM MST

I don't get it either, but I guess if they have the time and that's what they want to do then let them have some fun. I just hope they don't leave tons of trash in their wake..
      January 23, 2017 10:57 PM MST

too much spare time.
      January 24, 2017 2:07 AM MST

January 24, 2017 2:08 AM MST