Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How many presidents in modern history have instituted a federal pay and hiring freeze claiming they are streamlining the government?

How many presidents in modern history have instituted a federal pay and hiring freeze claiming they are streamlining the government?

Also how many presidents have ever put a shadow cabinet in place.?

Posted - January 25, 2017

Responses

• I worked for the state for 15 years, 2001 - 2016, processing a federal program. During that time there were several hiring freezes. Even though we were technically state workers, our salary was paid by the feds. The hiring freezes were from the federal level and not the state level. Federal hiring freezes are nothing new. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 25, 2017 7:16 AM MST
      January 25, 2017 4:53 AM MST

Yes, hiring freeze are nothing new I was just curious as to how many. It seems the politicians, on a regular basis, haul out the freeze to show their base what a, so called,  great job they are doing cutting federal costs. 
      January 25, 2017 5:20 AM MST

• The federal freezes hurt our agency. I worked for Disability Determinations and we were short staffed all the time. The workload was and still is overwhelming. Even though I no longer work there, I am still in contact with all my friends who are still there. 
      January 26, 2017 5:07 AM MST

Hiring and pay freezes reduce the amount of workers through retirements, causing those who remain to work harder for the same pay, perhaps motivating more to quit and find work elsewhere. Very bad idea...especially when it comes to the military. 
      January 25, 2017 7:29 AM MST

• Yep. But, the military is the one branch that does not have a freeze right now. 
      January 26, 2017 5:08 AM MST