Discussion » Questions » History » Where did the term "Graveyard Shift" come from?

Where did the term "Graveyard Shift" come from?

Posted - January 25, 2017

Responses

• I found this online and found it be pretty funny.

"England is old and small and they started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a "bone-house" and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, one out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they thought they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the "graveyard shift") to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be "saved by the bell" or was considered a "dead ringer."
      January 25, 2017 1:57 PM MST

• Oh wow, that's pretty cool! I didn't know that's where those phrases came from either, lol.
      January 25, 2017 2:04 PM MST

You deserve a medal for this.  I think personally that is the most interesting thing I have read on here in a long time.  Thank you.  WOW
      January 25, 2017 2:06 PM MST

• I love finding "facts" like this, of things we may say daily but have no idea of their origins.
      January 25, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• Very nice!
      January 25, 2017 2:10 PM MST

It is a great story, but I doubted the truth of it because "dead ringer" have a totally different meaning today "two people who look exactly alike" so I did some googling and found an article on snopes: http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/1500.asp
      January 25, 2017 2:32 PM MST

• That's an absolutely fascinating answer, Not Flo. I'm gonna save a copy in my Mug file. (It used to be an Ask file, then it became a Blurtit file, now it's a Mug fie.) Thank you. 

BTW why are you called Not Flo? It's unusual. 
      January 25, 2017 3:02 PM MST

• Thanks Didge.
      January 25, 2017 6:31 PM MST

• The burying people alive is a known fact along with the bell and rope... but id like to offer another possibility ... disections were not allowed in the 18th century but that's how doctors learned their trade... so grave robbing was a common occupation... especially fresh Graves... so I'm wondering if this may be another reason for the name
      January 25, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• That also sounds possible. Even probable. But it's a great story and I'm gonna stick with it for as long as I can. At the very least, it's "am alternative fact". >:-)
      January 25, 2017 3:09 PM MST

• Oi! I take umbrage at being a purveyor of alternative facts!
      January 25, 2017 5:03 PM MST

Sounds like a Stephen King thing. I kinda fancy myself as a creative writer. And I'm thinking of writing a horror book. 
      January 25, 2017 2:39 PM MST

• Stephen King's short story was gruesome but great!
      January 25, 2017 2:41 PM MST

I knew there was a connection somewhere between the two. :)

I haven't read that. I just might. 
      January 25, 2017 2:45 PM MST

• That whole Night Shift book of short stories is really good.
      January 25, 2017 2:46 PM MST

I bet it is. King is the champ. Love Storm of the Century. 
      January 25, 2017 2:49 PM MST

First Stephen King l I ever read back in the 70's.   What a great book of short stories. 

His first 10 were great and then they really took a dive.
      January 25, 2017 2:49 PM MST

I agree.  He just started churning them out.  I can't remember the last Stephen Kind book I read.  
      January 25, 2017 2:58 PM MST

• I don't like all King's stuff but some are really great. I loved that one. Scary! 
      January 25, 2017 3:10 PM MST

I don't know if anyone's interested but I found a different link that has other explanations.  The problem is, sometimes we never know the actual truth of word or phrase origins because many date back to before anyone thought of archiving them.  Just like Not Flo, I like finding facts.  I'm pretty much a research junky.

Here is the link.  I found it to be very interesting.  Again, I don't know if it's the truth but it gives as good an explanation as any along with some other interesting tidbits.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55688/6-widely-repeated-phrase-origins-debunked 
      January 25, 2017 3:05 PM MST

• Really cool and interesting, thanks Harry.
      January 25, 2017 3:13 PM MST

• I believe it'a an American expression that started in the 1800 meaning night shift, would love to say that it has a more exciting origin to it than that, but I don't think it has. :-) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 25, 2017 3:53 PM MST
      January 25, 2017 3:29 PM MST

• I've heard the story Not flo said.. so maybe true..  I always thought it was more mundane.. as in.. the graveyard shift was the very late overnight one.. a time when "only the dead would be *awake*" and/or that generally speaking the people who tend to work such shifts were much older people, people who maybe couldnt get a job elsewhere and reasonable hours, as it's a job no one really wants...people who like a quiet life..  and someone might have been being cheeky calling it graveyard to refer to older people, at the very end of their working life doing the job
      January 25, 2017 4:00 PM MST

• i guess it from the word "Grieve' to feel intense sorrow.
      January 26, 2017 1:20 AM MST