Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Alternative Facts ... possibly a series ..

Alternative Facts ... possibly a series ..

Ok... alternative facts number 1
Is the north magnetic pole at the north geographic pole?

Posted - January 25, 2017

Responses

Hello Oz:

Nope, it isn't..

excon This post was edited by excon at January 25, 2017 5:21 PM MST
      January 25, 2017 5:20 PM MST

• Hmmm... might want to think again on that :)
      January 25, 2017 5:32 PM MST

Hello again, Oz:

I thought about it, and I'm right..  Read about HERE.

excon
      January 25, 2017 5:48 PM MST

• Try Google the question is the south magnetic pole at the north geographic pole ... i followed your link and read the article... and it's simplification... try this link    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Magnetic_Pole
      January 25, 2017 6:03 PM MST

• Well played.
      January 25, 2017 7:37 PM MST

Ozzie, I sure didn't know.  When you do a series, please label them 1, 2 etc. in the question so I don't keep hitting the wrong one to post this stuff.
    The North Magnetic Pole is the point on the surface of Earth's Northern Hemisphere at which the planet's magnetic field points vertically downwards (in other words, if a magnetic compass needle is allowed to rotate about a horizontal axis, it will point straight down). There is only one location where this occurs, near (but distinct from) the Geographic North Pole and the Geomagnetic North Pole.

The North Magnetic Pole moves over time due to magnetic changes in the Earth's core.[1] In 2001, it was determined by the Geological Survey of Canada to lie near Ellesmere Island in northern Canada at 81.3°N 110.8°W. It was situated at 83.1°N 117.8°W in 2005. In 2009, while still situated within the Canadian Arctic territorial claim at 84.9°N 131.0°W,[2] it was moving toward Russia at between 55 and 60 kilometres (34 and 37 mi) per year.[3] As of 2016, the pole is projected to have moved beyond the Canadian Arctic territorial claim to 86.4°N 166.3°W.[2]

Its southern hemisphere counterpart is the South Magnetic Pole. Since the Earth's magnetic field is not exactly symmetrical, the North and South Magnetic Poles are not antipodal, meaning that a straight line drawn from one to the other does not pass through the geometric centre of the Earth.

The Earth's North and South Magnetic Poles are also known as Magnetic Dip Poles, with reference to the vertical "dip" of the magnetic field lines at those points.[4]
      January 25, 2017 5:54 PM MST

• Every thing you say is true ... Except that originally they had no way of telling which pole was which ... Talking about magnetic poles only here ... But the magnetic poles which is at the North is in reality the south magnetic pole... It's not talked about much for great of confusion ... True ... And the dip of a compass needle is called declination ... Expensive compasses have a correction chart to compensate for it ...
      January 25, 2017 10:51 PM MST