Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Mary Tyler Moore died on Wednesday at the age of 80. Which MTM character was YOUR favorite? Why?

Mary Tyler Moore died on Wednesday at the age of 80. Which MTM character was YOUR favorite? Why?

Posted - January 26, 2017

Responses

• Always think of her as :Laura Petrie on the Dick Van Dyke show! 
      January 26, 2017 6:13 AM MST

"Oh Rob!" I will always hear that voice. But also " Oh Mr. Grant". It was kinda the same voice but older.  She had tragedy in her life to be sure. Her only son died. But she carried on. Of course you remember when  Chuckles the Clown died on The Mary Tyler Moore show  and Mary laughed at the funeral? A classic. Thank you for your reply  Rooster and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 26, 2017 6:43 AM MST

Loved that episode too!! Always carried herself with grace and dignity. :))
      February 7, 2017 10:33 PM MST

Hi Autumn! Indeed she did. The writers were superb and I think every character was perfect! Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 8, 2017 3:41 AM MST

I liked that episode, too!
    :)
      June 5, 2017 7:35 AM MDT

• A great woman with many talents!
      January 26, 2017 6:44 AM MST

Agreed! Thank you for your reply Rooster and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 8, 2017 3:42 AM MST

• My favorite is the MTM episode where Mary quits her job, thinks better of it and has to get the boss to take her back. What made us sympathetic to her foibles was the fact that some of her problems were of her own making and other problems were the result of being drawn into the problems of friends and not being able to extricate herself. It made her believable and someone we could identify with. Let me also be up front. When she played on the "Dick Van Dyke Show", I was a male going through puberty and well.............
      January 26, 2017 11:39 AM MST

Thank you for your reply dw and Happy Wednesday! :)
      February 8, 2017 3:43 AM MST

Could I just say she was a favorite of mine in whatever I saw her in?

In some ways, I loved best her performance in the movie "Ordinary People."
      June 4, 2017 5:02 PM MDT

She was so unlike Laurie Petrie in that movie and so unlike Mary in the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I think the MTM show was brilliant! The cast was superb. The story lines for the time were good. It holds up well today when you see reruns. Nostalgia is a powerful draw.  Thank you for your reply WQ! Happy Monday to you! :).
      June 5, 2017 4:52 AM MDT

You're welcome, Rosie. Yes, in "Ordinary People" she was unlike anything I had seen her do and she did it so well.
    Thanks, Rosie.

Happy Monday to you, too!
    :)

June 5, 2017 7:38 AM MDT