Active Now

Randy D
Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Hillary received 800k votes from illegals. According to a new study. Should we investigate now?

Hillary received 800k votes from illegals. According to a new study. Should we investigate now?

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/26/hillary-clinton-received-800000-votes-from-nonciti/

Posted - January 27, 2017

Responses

probably
      January 29, 2017 4:53 PM MST

I agree 100%
      January 29, 2017 5:59 PM MST

Hello my:

That's NOT what your link says...  It says she COULD have received 800,000 votes..  Well, I COULD be 7'2" but, I'm NOT..

excon
      January 29, 2017 7:15 PM MST

True it is not solid facts, in that it is based on a poll of illegals....who a 6% admit to voting. Do you believe they did not vote this time? 
      February 1, 2017 5:46 AM MST

Hello my:

I have a different approach to questions like that..  In the FIRST instance, we must agree that undocumented workers DON'T want to get deported.  If they live in a NON SANCTUARY city, they KNOW that ANY contact with the authorities WILL result in their being deported..  As such, they probably shy AWAY from confrontations with government.  Wouldn't you??

Given the above, I don't believe many of them wander into a state office where they WILL be asked to show ID, and apply to be registered..  Secondarily, I don't think they CARE much about American politics, and probably DON'T even UNDERSTAND American politics because they don't speak English..

Consequently, I doubt that many vote...

excon This post was edited by excon at February 1, 2017 6:16 AM MST
      February 1, 2017 6:08 AM MST

Hello again, my:

I thought some more about it.. 

I LOVE Mexico..  I'm probably gonna live there one day.  I travel there extensively..  I SPEAK Spanish..  I'm a politics WHORE. 

Given the above, you'd think I'd wanna VOTE in Mexico..  But, NO.  I don't understand Mexican politics.  I don't CARE about Mexican politics.  And, when I'm in Mexico, politics is the FARTHEST thing from my mind..  It's certainly easy for me to BELIEVE that Mexicans here think the same way I do..

excon
      February 1, 2017 6:26 AM MST

The fact is non citizens have voted. Some have openly admitted they voted.  
    No I wouldn't necessarily believe you would want to vote in Mex. I believe you would still want to vote in the US. My grandfather lived in Japan...he never gave up citizenship, he voted here. 
    If you do move to Mexico, I also believe you will do it legally not simply cross the border and stay. That is the difference we are talking about legal vs illegal immigration. 
    PS: Mexico doesn't play with us staying illegally..they through us in prison for 10 yrs. 
      February 1, 2017 8:55 AM MST

umm, my2, not to be argumentative but the authors of the research have spoken out against the claims, stating that their data was used in a way that is misleading to the public.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/01/umass_amherst_professor_takes.html

https://fs.wp.odu.edu/jrichman/2017/01/27/i-do-not-support-the-washington-times-piece/
      January 30, 2017 3:26 PM MST

Richmond says it is his data. But he is assuming that the people who clicked they are a non citizen, that some did it on accident. 
    So does he assume the other people clicked things accidentally? Or just this one citizenship question? 
    Yes is was a small % but that means we need to look into it more not just say it was user error.
      February 1, 2017 5:54 AM MST

Not sure what you are saying about "clicked" but I do believe it might be wise to look at the system(s) in place and ensure it is working the way it should.  It goes back to what you and I were discussing about the DMV & your suggestion it should be the only place someone can register.  While I don't disagree with that, I do wonder if all the government agencies aren't already tied into each other into a national database, so updates could & should be taking place.  If not, it's something that should be done IMO.  In rural and sprawled suburban areas, the DMV isn't as easily accessible as the clerk's office.  I do think a national database would resolve the voting question.  I also wonder if, with such a small percentage of irregular voting, does the cost to launch a full scale investigation warrant it?  It's not as if there are enough votes to have a direct impact on the outcome of an election and I am loathe to spend a lot of money investigating when our tax dollars could be better spent elsewhere. 
      February 1, 2017 6:22 AM MST

I said "clicked" because it was the word Richmond used so I assume his polls were taken on the computer. 

February 1, 2017 7:54 AM MST

Gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification. :)
      February 1, 2017 8:23 AM MST