Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you like guacamole?? How about tomatoes?? Trump is gonna make you pay MORE.. That means YOU are paying for the wall - NOT Mexico..

Do you like guacamole?? How about tomatoes?? Trump is gonna make you pay MORE.. That means YOU are paying for the wall - NOT Mexico..

Posted - January 27, 2017

Responses

oh yeah
    $10.00 avacados
    $20.00 apples
    my blueberries will be $15.00
    for a little plastic container
    The people will bear the taxes...
      January 27, 2017 9:25 AM MST

You mean to tell me that the ONLY place in the entire world that avocados, apples and blueberries are grown is in Mexico? Who knew?

Actually I buy apples that are grown either on the east coast of the US (Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York) or in Washington state. (You do know where Washington state is located, no?) The few blueberries that I buy are grown, typically, in Maine. Although I prefer wild huckleberries from Pennsylvania even though they're a bit dangerous to harvest (rattlesnakes love to live amongst those brambles.) As to avocados . . . don't they grow those in California and central and south America? But I can live without those for a while as the market forces push production to other geographic locations (you do know about competition and the marketplace?). 

I do find it shocking that liberals would object to paying a few cents more for something if it helps the oppressed people of another country, but now that I think about it maybe not so much . . . This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at January 27, 2017 9:46 AM MST
      January 27, 2017 9:43 AM MST

Hello Red:

I thought Trump was gonna HELP the little guy, like you..  So, the FIRST thing he does, is make you pay 20% MORE for things you like.  And, he's gonna make YOU pay for the wall, as well..  And, you're HAPPY with that??? 

Dude!!! Are you sure you're not a Trump University grad??

excon This post was edited by excon at January 27, 2017 10:03 AM MST
      January 27, 2017 9:59 AM MST

DUDE!

Now you're just being selfish. You're only thinking about yourself, not the "little guy" in Mexico and, in the long run, the "little guy" in the States. But being a highly successful businessman always flush with cash you probably can't relate to that.

I, on the other hand, support my neighbors and fellow US citizens. And best of all the quality of the produce that I buy that was grown in the States is FAR better than that from off-shore, especially when I buy it at the orchard and (sometimes) pick it myself. It hasn't been picked while still "green" and "temperature cycled" multiple times between where it was harvested and where I buy it.  
      January 27, 2017 10:07 AM MST

Hello again, Red:

Let's forget tomatoes for a minute..  You get, don't you, that YOU'RE paying for the wall??  And, you're happy about that???

excon
      January 27, 2017 10:16 AM MST

DUDE!

You don't get it, makes me seriously question your business "acumen". (And try to stay focused here.)  You used an imaginary example of an increase in the price of goods from Mexico being used to pay for that wall. But I can't think of a single thing from Mexico that I need. If the price of something like avocados goes up I stop buying them. I may miss having them until the world-wide supply chain adjusts to that shift, but I won't die. Your position sounds more like a drug addict that's about to be deprived of their next "fix".

And speaking of that drug addict angle I think that Pablo Escobar is alleged to have over 16-billion dollars stashed in the US. Seizing that would make a heck of a dent in building that wall without putting one dime of taxes on the citizenry. So that's another very good option for paying for the wall. (Yes, I know, the cost is estimated at around 2-billion. But it's going to be a "government" project and we all know that if you put the Federal government in charge of the Sahara desert they would run out of sand in less than a year.)

But even if we do pay for the wall as you seem to think that price will be a LOT less than what we've already paid for NOT having the wall and actually enforcing our immigration laws. It might actually help stem the loss of jobs to off-shore locals and ease the burden on hospital emergency rooms which would really help to make healthcare more affordable. 

January 27, 2017 10:54 AM MST

• I live on guacamole--I will lose my shit if I can't get it anymore  #Californian This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 27, 2017 10:05 AM MST
      January 27, 2017 9:45 AM MST

I make the best ever and am required to make some for every family gathering. Most of the avacados I buy are grown in CA or FL. I don't give a crap about the politics. Let Nieto and trump work it out.
      January 27, 2017 12:26 PM MST

he shouldnt be making us pay for it, we didnt decide to build it
      January 28, 2017 9:38 PM MST