Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Right wingers say that corporations DON'T pay taxes.. They just pass them on to the consumer. Isn't Mexico gonna pass Trumps tax onto us??

Right wingers say that corporations DON'T pay taxes.. They just pass them on to the consumer. Isn't Mexico gonna pass Trumps tax onto us??

Posted - January 27, 2017

Responses

It's seriously doubtful that Mexico will impose such a tax.

But we can (and should) actually impose a stiff tax on goods and services coming in from Mexico. We can call it a "humanity" tax and base it on the degree to which each Mexican business pays their employees a "living wage" and provides them with decent health care. Because what decent, self-respecting liberal can condone the deplorable conditions that Mexicans are currently forced to work under? We could also weigh the degree to which each of those businesses contribute to pollution as another factor.

If we do that then maybe GM will move vehicle production back to Canada, or even the States?  Maybe even some agricultural endeavors will return, like tomato production and that "other" stuff? Heck, maybe Mexicans can actually start to live decently where they currently reside, no need to head north to begin with. That would be far more effective than a physical wall.
      January 27, 2017 9:04 AM MST

Hello Red:

I think you missed something..  It's TRUMP who's gonna impose the IMPORT tax - NOT Mexico.. They're just gonna RAISE their prices to cover the tax Trump imposed on them.. That means your Corona is gonna cost MORE.

This isn't hard stuff..

excon
      January 27, 2017 9:15 AM MST

Well, apparently it is hard for you. I said that we (the USA) should impose that tax but base it on how humanely Mexican businesses and (by extension) the Mexican government treats their citizens. You seem to have read something completely different into that for some reason.

Oh, by the way; Trump can't impose any kind of tax on anyone or anything. Taxes can only be imposed by Congress and all bills that involve any kind of taxation (Obamacare aside, apparently) have to start off their life in the House. Try reading the Constitution. 

And Corona? You do know that it's made in the US by a Belgian company, not that I drink that or any of their other swill (reminds me too much of making love in a canoe).

Can't fathom why you can't follow that. Like you say, it isn't "hard stuff". Try to keep up, will ya'?
      January 27, 2017 9:34 AM MST

First, it doesn't matter who imposes a tax on Mexican imports.  The point (which you seem to have missed) is that if a tax is imposed on Mexican goods, Mexico will raise the price of their goods to compensate for the additional taxes imposed on them. 

Second, what makes you think we have a right to tell a sovereign country how to treat its people?  If that were the case, I can think of countries that treat their people worse than Mexico.

Third, at this point, it's the Central Americans who are clamoring to get into the U.S. THROUGH Mexico, not the Mexicans. 

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at January 27, 2017 1:53 PM MST
      January 27, 2017 11:16 AM MST

Yeah, it works out the American people will pay for the wall.  You are one of the first people that I have talked to that understood that.
      January 27, 2017 9:35 AM MST

Forget who is going to pay for the wall as a matter of discussion, the question is, do we feel the border must be secure? is it needed for our security ? or is it not ? Why argue about cost, is it absolutely needed,? if it is  let's get it done
       Salt and pepper brings up good points also.
      January 27, 2017 3:21 PM MST

Hello TT:

Well, we don't have one now, and terrorists aren't pouring in, so I'd say NO, we don't need it for our SECURITY..  But, if we just wanna keep some brown people out, then sure build it.  But, I remind you.  If they build the wall 50' high, they'll just bring a 51' ladder..

excon This post was edited by excon at January 27, 2017 7:25 PM MST
      January 27, 2017 3:55 PM MST

Why not a reasonable priced fence and armed guards? it seems to work in prisons, Military stockades.
       Thanks for your reply.
      January 28, 2017 9:24 AM MST

Hello again, TT:

Not a bad idea..  You're a little late, though.

excon
      January 28, 2017 9:35 AM MST

It's not too late, Trump hasn't started pouring concrete yet.
      January 29, 2017 9:12 AM MST

Hello again, TT:

Yeah, I emailed the same picture to Trump..  He sent it back unopened..

excon
      January 29, 2017 9:25 AM MST