Discussion » Questions » Music » What should I do? My new neighbor is learning guitar and the jarring sound is so bothersome?

What should I do? My new neighbor is learning guitar and the jarring sound is so bothersome?

Posted - January 28, 2017

Responses

• They make headphones for that, he.doensnt need.to use the Amp. And if he's learning, he wouldn't even need that.
    So he really has no need to expose others to his jarring. Besides politely asking him to keep.his crap to himself, I don't think there's much you can do. He may not think he sucks. He may think you guys love it and can't wait for him to start. No kidding, 

January 28, 2017 11:09 PM MST

You are right,he must be thinking he's playing for an audience;)) 
      January 28, 2017 11:11 PM MST

• I know it sounds silly, but im serious. He may think you guys are like, wow he's awesome!
    At least I know it was.like that when I was.learning the drums. I didn't know how.bad I was until I was.told, 
    I really thought I was banging. . .which I was.
      January 28, 2017 11:15 PM MST

The problem is we can't just go and tell him he's a nuisance....that would be so rude. Lago,the person who criticized you when you were just a learner must have been too blunt and you took it in right spirit and that's the next point,his reaction?
      January 28, 2017 11:19 PM MST

• First I was like , "Are you serious?"

Then I was.embarrassed. I don't know how this.guy would take it. But see, even if he was real good, it would still be.a.nuisance having.some one playing When  I don't want to.hear it no?

That's.a tough one. I still think I'd tell him. )
      January 28, 2017 11:27 PM MST

I dunno I better wait;))
      January 31, 2017 2:40 PM MST

This is why I saved up my money (for 30 years) so I could move out away from town and down a private lane where I don't have to listen to everyone's annoying noise. Then I put double insulation in the walls when I built this house. I can still hear the occasional dog barking, however. (or maybe some coyotes)
      January 29, 2017 6:29 AM MST

Umm that's not possible for me,I mean to stay in one place,my hubby is in IT sector and we are always on the move,as soon as one assignment is over we shift to another location.
      January 31, 2017 2:44 PM MST

• Rent some bagpipes and practice on them whenever he plugs into his amp
      January 29, 2017 10:14 AM MST

Ha ha or I might bang my utensils around;))
      January 31, 2017 2:45 PM MST

• Now your thinking.  You could practice bucket drumming too.
      January 31, 2017 3:36 PM MST

Ha ha any more ideas;))
      January 31, 2017 7:12 PM MST

not much you can do but move yourself, you can try running a fan or wearing earplugs. i have an annoying neighbor myself thats always talking loud in the halls, i cant even do school work at home, i have to go to the college library cause she wont shut up. so annoying
      January 29, 2017 3:28 PM MST

Ohhh that's really irritating!
      January 31, 2017 2:45 PM MST

If you live in a private house, there isn't much you can do other than ask the neighbor not to play so loud.  If you live in an apartment building or a condo/co-op development, there must be rules governing this. 
      January 30, 2017 1:16 PM MST

There are rules,the problem is we moved here quite recently and I don't want to go to the leasing office in the apartment complex with a complaint so soon!
      January 31, 2017 2:50 PM MST

Then I guess the best idea would be to go directly to the neighbor and tell them they might not realize how loud the sound is in your apartment and would they please tone it down.  I had that with a neighbor when she got a new stereo and blasted it.  She said it wasn't that loud, so I invited her in to hear what it sounded like on my side.  End of problem.  A few years later, her son was taking piano lessons and the piano was against our shared living room wall.  He would start practising at 9 PM and when I asked her to have him practice earlier, she said he had this lesson and that class and this event and 9 PM was the soonest.  So, every time he practiced, I put my radio on the shelf facing the wall and played rock music really loud and the kid couldn't stay focused on what he was playing.  End of problem.
      February 1, 2017 2:00 PM MST