Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » If weeds are beautiful aren't they really flowers?

If weeds are beautiful aren't they really flowers?

Posted - January 29, 2017

Responses

• Not in my yard they're not! Most have stickers or burrs on them and need to be weed whacked down. I don't want weeds around my pool! Work too hard to keep the yard nice. My weeds sure don't have any flowers!
      January 29, 2017 11:53 AM MST

• Something we totally differ on finally.
    My philosophy is green is green.  A little yellow dandelions just breaks up the monotony.  lol
      January 29, 2017 11:56 AM MST

• Well, we can't win them all! 
      January 29, 2017 12:00 PM MST

• It doesn't matter.
    Most of  may attitude  comes from doing so much yard work and clean up during the summer as part of property maintenance.  The only two stroke I want to operate at the end of the week during the summer has Evinrude or Mercury written on the side of it.
    Plus it's more of a lot than a yard. Kinda anal about the small gardens here and there in it though.
      January 29, 2017 12:05 PM MST

• I have a big back yard that I do my best to keep looking nice. Out here in Cal.? They grow like crazy. Have to watch the burrs and such for any dogs.
    My weed-eater and lawn mower are both battery powered. No gas or crap.
      January 29, 2017 12:09 PM MST

Lovely yard. Our weeds produce beautiful yellow flowers Rooster. Thank you for your reply and the photo and Happy Monday! :)
      January 30, 2017 2:19 AM MST

• No.

Everything that blooms is a flower.   Even weeds.  Weeds isn't a technical term and is just any unwanted plant growing somewhere.
    A rose bush is a weed if it springs up where  one does not want a rose bush.  it's a completely arbitrary term similar to vegetable in culinary speak.
      January 29, 2017 11:54 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Glis. So when I say "aren't they really flowers" and you say no and then you say everything that blooms is a flower what am I supposed to garner from that? You say no then you say yes. Confusing. Happy Monday.
      January 30, 2017 2:21 AM MST

• It's a no because you're premise is false so by default is your conclusion.
    Beauty has no bearing on something being a flower or a weed. Nothing confusing about it.
      January 30, 2017 2:36 AM MST

I see. So the fault dear Brutus lies with me? How convenient. Once again you come to my rescue with another thoughtful and informative response. SIGH
      January 30, 2017 2:39 AM MST

Yes, weeds are beautiful. If you smoke enough of them, you'd believe them to be anything including flowers.
      January 29, 2017 12:13 PM MST

• Far out....man! 
      January 29, 2017 12:19 PM MST

Groovy!
      January 29, 2017 12:23 PM MST

• Heavy man!
      January 29, 2017 12:25 PM MST

I don't smoke anything df. Do you? I also don't inject or swallow or inhale drugs of any kind. Do you? I do take Atorvastatin..a prescription pill to keep cholesterol under control. Thank you for your reply which is totally off point and not remotely helpful. Happy Monday. This post was edited by RosieG at January 30, 2017 2:24 AM MST
      January 30, 2017 2:22 AM MST

Rosie, Look above me. I think the opinions of those above are as accurate as they can be to a question that can be taken either seriously or with mirth. If you wanted only serious answers you could of phrased it, My garden has beautiful weeds, are they really weeds or could they be flowers? How exactly helpful can one be with a question phrased in this way?
    I have to say you aren't much fun. Polite but not fun. I come here for some seriousness but occasionally to have fun. Have you thought that maybe I'm trying to make a joke to give you a giggle after looking at the many Trump rants every single morning from you? You don't ask serious questions you want a place to continuously rant. I won't try to lighten you up, obviously that's a waste of time. You make it very difficult to seriously answer your questions because It doesn't seem you really care what others really think, you just want to rant. So, in the spirit of all of that you got my very helpful answer. It was helpful in that it lightened the mood. Helpful is a broad term, is causing one to laugh considered helpful? Maybe not to you. Also people are not going to answer your questions if you continue to go after those that you don't agree with or don't get the answers you think you should recieve. Your views are not the only thing going. Thank YOU for your polite response. This post was edited by dragonfly46 at January 30, 2017 9:46 AM MST
      January 30, 2017 9:41 AM MST

• Let's take the opposite tack. If flowers, no matter how beautiful, are out of control and overrun everything else, aren't they weeds? 

I think that weeds are weeds no matter how pretty. But we can meet in the middle. Let's call them flowering weeds. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 30, 2017 5:59 AM MST
      January 29, 2017 1:26 PM MST

You know me and definitions, Didge---just so we can drive a stake in the ground by which to measure direction....

Weed--- a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.
      January 29, 2017 1:31 PM MST

• In a nutshell, Tom. There are times *sob* when I've felt like a weed myself. :( 
      January 29, 2017 1:32 PM MST

Me too---especially when I go where no one else has gone and leave a trail....

(Wow, I got defenestration in a year or so ago and now I got to use a saying from a motivational poster.)

January 29, 2017 1:34 PM MST

Our backyard is overrun with green "plants" that look like 4-leaf clovers and they produce out-of-control beautiful yellow flowers Didge. I look out in the back and smile. We live in a retirement community. Our front "lawn" is green-dyed cement. Our backyard, except for the patio part and a lemon tree, is rocks/pebbles. Amidst the rocks beautiful green "plants" that give  birth to gorgeous yellow flowers show up every year. I love them. It doesn't matter what you call them. I see beauty and call them flowers. Flowering weeds is fine if that is more comfortable for you. Reality is all perception. We are not wired alike. That's a good thing! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      January 30, 2017 2:31 AM MST

i think so
      January 29, 2017 2:22 PM MST

Thank you for your reply pearl and Happy Monday! :)
      January 30, 2017 2:42 AM MST

• Wild flowers :)
      January 29, 2017 2:30 PM MST