Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » True or false? If someone puts up some bait and you fall into a trolling then it's your own fault for taking the bait.

True or false? If someone puts up some bait and you fall into a trolling then it's your own fault for taking the bait.

Don't be player hating.

Posted - February 2, 2017

Responses

Exactly!  

I can't help that notice that some that have a lot of criticism hurled their way never go on anyone else's posts to attack.  This is why I really wish people can ignore what they don't like.  

Trolling to me is someone that goes out of their way to follow others around to make their internet existence as uncomfortable as possible.  I haven't seen this tolerated here in a very long time.  What little has ever come here never lasts.

I would say this is one of the most troll free sites out there.  Kudos to all that keep it that way.  
      February 2, 2017 2:05 PM MST

• I wouldn't  say that.  I'm allowed here. 
      February 2, 2017 2:10 PM MST

You are a good troll then.  LOL
      February 2, 2017 2:24 PM MST

• I just stay away from anything that might cause trouble. I had enough of that at another site and I don't want any drama. I agree with PeaPod here. You take the bait? Then you fall into it.
      February 2, 2017 2:20 PM MST

Rooster, I waited a long time to find a site that didn't thrive on drama for traffic.  There are so many diverse personalities and questions here that I can say I honestly don't feel there are any discussions I can't throw myself into.  I love it here and it took a while for me to trust a social site after seeing how bad some can behave on them. 
      February 2, 2017 2:24 PM MST

• I agree. Took me some time to get used to it but if people don't want to answer something, then don't. Simple as that.
      February 2, 2017 2:29 PM MST

• Exactly.
      February 2, 2017 2:37 PM MST

Eh, yes and no. Genuine trolls thrive on the drama, so if even one person responds, they've been "rewarded" and will persist. It's better to avoid entering into discussions that you believe are detached from reality for this reason.

At the same time, and I think you or someone else hinted at this on another thread, "trolling" has a wide definition these days. By the broadest definition, I'd be trolling if I derailed this discussion by talking about troll soup recipes or something. lol And, who's to say whether the person posting really just has a strong opinion of something or is saying something just to tick people off? The only person who knows if that's the poster's mindset is the poster, himself. 

I think it's better to avoid throwing around words like "troll" altogether. Whether someone really is a troll or is simply being strong-headed, it's rather irrelevant. Feed them and they continue. Ignore them and they stop. Is it your fault for "taking the bait?" Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me. 
      February 2, 2017 2:49 PM MST