Active Now

Randy D
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Thebigd
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Fill in the Blank » You might be a Brit if you_______________________

You might be a Brit if you_______________________

Posted - February 2, 2017

Responses

You can walk around Piccadilly Circus, drinking a not chilled beer, smoking a cigar, and carrying an umbrella all at the same time.  Talented those Brits are! This post was edited by Merlin at February 3, 2017 1:59 PM MST
      February 3, 2017 1:47 PM MST

• And why do they drink their beer warm?
      February 3, 2017 2:02 PM MST

I just wrote you and it disappeared.  I must keep my magical wand in the other room.  Wierd things happen sometimes!  I was saying, it seems they aren't as fond of filtered beer as we are.  I rarely see a picture of them cheering each other with a Budweiser, Miller or PBR.  Big giggles!  No, really ALF, I"m sure it is a matter of opinion, just like her in America. 
    When I picture them downing a pint, I picture them in a pub with a wooden keg, not chilled and a wooden table with cigars and a bundle of laughs! ;) :) 
      February 3, 2017 2:08 PM MST

• I've read ... warm beer gets you drunk faster and during the War, it was hard to get a hold of and/or more expensive.
      February 3, 2017 2:11 PM MST

Warm beer getting you drunk faster is a bit of a misconception.  One that is easily mistaken, though.  It doesn't get you drunk faster.  The alcohol content is stays the same.  Maybe because it doesn't chill your body as much, there are few calories burned in maintaining your body temperature, so it metabolizes slower.
      February 3, 2017 2:30 PM MST

Good question!  I'll look that up and get back to you! :)
      February 3, 2017 2:11 PM MST

Misconception: British people drink beer warm or room temperature.

I myself have heard this said a number of times but I have yet to discover where it comes from. Walking into a British bar and ordering a beer any way but cold would raise eyebrows just like everywhere else.

In fact, the most popular lager beers in Britain tend to be of the “Extra Cold” variety, and this applies to most bitter beers and ales too! Nobody likes a warm beer, the British included.

Having said that, most Americans like their Beer super cold, so an English beer may appear to be warm in comparison, but it is still cold. Chilling beer too much can damage its flavor.

I totally sit corrected ALF!  Thank you for subtly urging me to look that up!  I love to learn new things and you just taught me one!  Awesome!

February 3, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• Lager is served cold, ale can be at room temperature or cold, bitter is never served cold. (I'm English, btw.)
    They? ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 4, 2017 9:18 AM MST
      February 4, 2017 3:37 AM MST

• It's not the 1950's. You's be surprised how little of any of that is true. Sorry. )
      February 4, 2017 3:34 AM MST

• .................. bear a "Coat Of Arms."

February 3, 2017 1:58 PM MST

Nice!  Is that through out Europe?  It is very impressive! 
      February 3, 2017 2:09 PM MST

• It could be that other countries use Coat of Arms, as family identification, but I know England does.
    (it's just an example ... not mine.  Mine's different and it's not mine to carry)
      February 3, 2017 2:15 PM MST

I know we have one but I'm not sure really where it is from.  Scotland, maybe?  I always considered myself a mutt. There are many different parts that make me and my bloodline.  If I ever went on Ancestry, it would cost hundreds of dollars and probably take the rest of my lifetime to track it down! 
    The only reason I know we have one is because Don was interested at one point, trying to find his.  We choose not to have children, so it was merely out of curiosity...
    But, for me, I"m just happy to be alive and here and thank all the people around the world who helped that happen! ;)  When am I ever going to learn to spell check before I post!  Ahhhhhh! ;)

This post was edited by Merlin at October 1, 2017 10:39 PM MDT
      February 3, 2017 2:22 PM MST

• I had my ancestry looked into years ago and they traced it back, as far as 1578, to County Durham, Durham, England.
      February 3, 2017 2:28 PM MST

W-O-W !!!  See?  I think that is very cool!!!!  Do you have any desire to go?  Or have you been already?...
      February 3, 2017 2:32 PM MST

• Yes, I want to go.
    West of Durham is a town(?) called Carlisle and near there is a town that bears my surname. I'd really like to see it.
      February 3, 2017 2:36 PM MST

think you should fish & chips at least 5 times a week.
      February 8, 2017 2:55 PM MST

You might be a Brit if you scowl everytime you hear the name 'Balliol' mispronuncified. (Balliol College, University of Oxford).

January 14, 2018 6:29 PM MST