Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » How much of an age gap is ok with you as a potential partner?

How much of an age gap is ok with you as a potential partner?

Posted - February 2, 2017

Responses

• Not sure tolerate is the right word.. and each person will vary I think.. I think personality is important.. I dated someone around 22 years younger than me.. he was very mature and knew what he wanted... I wasn't ever embarrassed by being with someone younger.. I Knew i was what he wanted.. it could have worked but we seriously didn't get on.. I can't stand illogic...and he was very illogical in things he said...  so I ended it..  He wasn't the first I dated who was much younger... 

Equally I dated someone who was 10 years older.. I liked him a lot, he had many attributes, but ultiately we made better friends than anything else so we decided to go that route.. 

Intrinsically I don't think there's anything wrong with age gaps but, but, but .. it can't be just anyone as age does matter when it comes to things like maturity and different expectations re life stage.. like being with a much younger woman or man might mean they want kids... and the older person can't or doesn't want.. one wants to see the world and party and the older one wants to think about retirement... 

Having things in common can be more difficult with an age gap too..

Many age gap relationships dont work out.. for instance my (Main ex bf) was 46 and had previously been with a 23 year old.. and she drove him insane with her constant demands, immaturity and neediness, not to mention that she was very into possessions and money... 

February 2, 2017 3:57 PM MST

• I guess five years in either direction would be my ideal range given that I'm 25. That said, looking for a partner is still low on my priority list. 
      February 2, 2017 4:20 PM MST

• Not important to me.  I been with much older when and significantly younger.
      February 2, 2017 4:44 PM MST

I think it depends on where you are in life. I was around 30 and a 21 old kept asking me out. I kept turning him down. After repeated turn downs and he still didn't get it, I finally just laughed at him. When a friend asked what I was laughing about I just told her the guy was 21. She started laughing too. He backed down after that. At 30 I wouldn't date anyone under 25, and I wouldn't go over 40. Now I am not dating anyone as I am married, and there is just over a 3 year difference between my husband and me. If I were out in the dating world, I would probably go up or down around 15 years, and I will be 55 in about a week. I think any more than that you don't have the same reference points and are just too far apart in where you are in life.
      February 2, 2017 4:45 PM MST

• Is it really an age gap or an attitude gap?
      February 2, 2017 5:08 PM MST

I think if the difference is too big, it's an age gap and an attitude gap.  Think of it in this perspective:  when you're both relatively young, there are few differences.  Now, go into late middle age, you're a vibrant woman of let's say 50 and he's around 70 - not quite as vibrant, not so much interested in going dancing or to parties.  Now, you're 70 and still relatively active and he's 90 - one foot in the grave maybe. 
      February 2, 2017 5:44 PM MST

• Can I reply in another fifty years? Hopefully at the 70 / 90 split if be looking after them ... I really don't know
      February 2, 2017 8:41 PM MST

You can, but there's no guarantee I'll be around to respond. :) This post was edited by SpunkySenior at February 3, 2017 7:40 AM MST
      February 3, 2017 7:35 AM MST

I thought I was clear on that.
      February 2, 2017 5:57 PM MST

• Age doesn't matter to me, as long as we're compatible....I don't care!
      February 2, 2017 5:43 PM MST

I would say five years either way as I'm 71.  I have had relationships with men 20 years younger, but they were really more like flings.  We enjoyed each other and then we moved on. 

February 2, 2017 5:46 PM MST

Any age gap is fine.  As long we both are of legal age, truly enjoy each other's company, and the gap isn't an issue between us, it just doesn't matter what the age gap is (or what anyone else thinks). 
      February 2, 2017 5:49 PM MST

I don't usually have much in common with men who are younger than me. I tend to prefer older men. I think the sweet spot is somewhere between 10-20 years older than me, though I've dated someone who was more than 30 years older. 
      February 2, 2017 5:54 PM MST

There are other variables of far more import to me than age, it would depend upon all the particulars. I have dated both older and younger.
      February 2, 2017 6:07 PM MST

• I'm 37 and my dating profile is set to receive messages from women 30 - 42 years old so I guess that's what I'm comfortable with, but my profile's hidden for now anyway.
      February 2, 2017 6:30 PM MST

Age isn't really depending in how I feel. It will be about that other person, how they are, and how they feel, their values, their attitude, how they share their love, among others. Hmm.
      February 3, 2017 3:31 AM MST

I'll remember that.
      February 3, 2017 10:09 AM MST

Lol. Gender will be one of the things not written in the above. ;-)
      February 3, 2017 11:23 AM MST

• Age doesn't matter. Women can be difficult at any age. )
      February 3, 2017 7:48 AM MST

• As can men :P
      February 3, 2017 8:12 AM MST

• Maybe, but I.wouldn't know about that. )
      February 3, 2017 8:15 AM MST

I'm not changing diapers, so they better not be really young or really old.
      February 3, 2017 8:16 AM MST

• What about your.diapers Sharonna?  )
      February 3, 2017 8:33 AM MST

I have never dated anyone younger. Not purposely just how it worked out. 
    I did turn a guy down because of his age. I was 17-18 and he was 30. Had been married and had a daughter and his own house. We were in different stages in life. I did not want an instant family. And did not like the idea of moving into his house.  I wanted someone to get a house with. And at his age if he was living with friends....I would have dismissed him as a bum. 
    My husband is 8 yrs older than me. He was 26 when I met him, divorced with kids (different story). But I had dated a guy 24 divorced with a kid. So when I met hubby my thought was it was just 2 more years. If not for the 23 yr old...I probably would have said Nope too old.
      February 3, 2017 10:02 AM MST